Diablo® III

Why do we kill Zoltun Kulle?

Ya I tried to rationalize it as him not having time to prepare his "new" body with whatever enchantments he used before to make it immortal. I really didn't enjoy that part of the game much, mainly because I knew he was the only one that seemed to have a clue what was going on. He's not going to seem that crazy when Imperious and/or Maltheous tries to obliterate humanity in the second expansion.
Reply Quote
To be fair, he did throw the first blow.
Reply Quote
I am doubting exactly how unkillable Kulle is. Remember, back then, the Horadrim has to use all sorts of artifacts and made huge sacrifices just to take down one prime evil. On the other hand, the current age heroes are powerful enough to confront prime evils in open combat and beat the living day light out of them. So just because Kulle was unkillable back then doesn't mean he is unkillable now.
Reply Quote
Actually it isn't a plot hole. And honestly they don't really say he died. You defeat him, destroy his newly formed body- but whose to say that could actually kill him? Also I'm not really thinking that the ease with which you dispatch ANYONE in "Normal" mode should be taken seriously in terms of lore or story. I feel like it was a lot more gritty and difficult in terms of story. Let's say Hell or Inferno.

So honestly I don't think the people today are more powerful then they were way back when the Horadrim did it. I feel like they probably had as easy a time capturing him but also weren't able to kill him. Only disassemble it.

I don't think what happens in the game contradicts the lore. I don't like how we literally have to destroy him the second he is formed- or that he seems to be dispatched to move the story along (the only criticism I personally have with the game's story is the pacing) but I don't think we actually kill him. Just cause his body to disperse again. He may reform later.
Reply Quote
I think its all Adria's fault such that I think, he thought he got betrayed by the player's group. That's because he found out about the other prime evils sealed inside the black soulstone.

Frankly, I'd have personally taken up his offer and TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD. Same thing I try to do every night ; )
Reply Quote
This scene had me completely confused. When you go to get the stone, He said something like "What's this? there's a couple of demons in my soulstone?" And then two giant mobs appear and you fight for 10 seconds and he's dead.

I didn't understand the scene. Why was Kulle suprised? Was the black soulstone somehow not what he expected? It appeared to lower down from up in the air too. I didn't get that part.

LOL Blizz... please explain your cutscene!

I think the answer above in this thread "We kill Kulle because he drops loot" is probably the best explanation.

Other than that, it's a complete mess of a story that doesn't make any sense.
Edited by Grizats#1609 on 5/21/2012 12:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Steak
The soulstone had more souls in it because of Adria. That is what surprised him. At least that's my understanding. Not sure how she got them in there though.

Exactly. The whole point of a huge part of act 2 is finding the soulstone. It was all hidden away in deep dark secret by Kulle. How was it not in the exact same state that he left it in when it was hidden away. It just seems like a big plot hole. Granted, I'm not extremely well versed in Diablo lore, so maybe there's something I'm missing. But the in-game scene when you finally get the soulstone had me scratching my head in confusion.
Reply Quote
Posted this same info in another thread, but seeing how it's pretty much on topic...

Actually, Kulle didn't betray you... not intentionally at that moment at least.

When he completed the Black Soulstone for you, the five demon souls instantly entered it. That wasn't supposed to happen. Kulle knew something weird was going on. Because you didn't tell him everything (you didn't know yourself), and because he was suspicious someone was double dealing the scenario, Kulle didn't want to give up the Black Soulstone right away. The hero then thought Kulle was going back on their deal - but he wasn't doing it just to be evil, he was doing it because he was actually right in this case: you were being manipulated.

If the souls didn't enter the stone, Kulle might have let you take it, and he'd have gone off and spun some new evil plan. Kulle was actually more interested in getting the hero to join him, than fight him to the death. Kulle wasn't going to back down though, because he was getting suspicious of everyone involved.

Also the letters claim Kulle isn't that easy to kill off permanently. His body is made of sand, and he could reform himself after time. Hence the whole head cut off and sealing in the Shadow Realm. We might have not seen the last of him...
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Rollthebones
He's a well intentioned extremist.

There's a cliche about good intentions.

That said, he did betray us. He lied, as always. Everyone knew trusting him was a risk, but we had no choice. He never intended to "give" us the black soulstone, but he would have been willing to share it if we joined up with him.

His aims weren't as altruistic as you think either. He let slip several times that he didn't just want to save the world from Angels and Demons. He wanted to RULE it. He pretty much said so just before you fought him.
Reply Quote
But being seperated for such a long time could weaken the enchantments used to protect himself. Assuming he can cast similiar enchantment on his newly reformed body so quickly, that would mean all the spells he cast when he was young and in his prime would be overwritten by weaker versions.

Now why is a different question already. I would bargin a guess because he threw the first punch trying to defend himself from what he perceived as a double cross.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 07:38 PMPosted by sortajan
That said, he did betray us. He lied, as always. Everyone knew trusting him was a risk, but we had no choice. He never intended to "give" us the black soulstone, but he would have been willing to share it if we joined up with him.

He never lied. He said everything that was on his mind. Everything.

As for the betrayal... again, I don't think it was intentional on his part. At least not at that moment. Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think Kulle would have turned a new leaf and become a saint, but I'm not 100% certain he wanted to fight you at that exact time.

He seriously seemed to change his mind after the five souls flew in... that was the turning point. He even says it aloud... that you were being manipulated, and there was more going on than you thought.

Kulle's immediate betrayal was because he felt betrayed himself at that point. Someone was hiding something... and by the end of Act III, we all knew who it was.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Posted this same info in another thread, but seeing how it's pretty much on topic...

Actually, Kulle didn't betray you... not intentionally at that moment at least.

When he completed the Black Soulstone for you, the five demon souls instantly entered it. That wasn't supposed to happen. Kulle knew something weird was going on. Because you didn't tell him everything (you didn't know yourself), and because he was suspicious someone was double dealing the scenario, Kulle didn't want to give up the Black Soulstone right away. The hero then thought Kulle was going back on their deal - but he wasn't doing it just to be evil, he was doing it because he was actually right in this case: you were being manipulated.

If the souls didn't enter the stone, Kulle might have let you take it, and he'd have gone off and spun some new evil plan. Kulle was actually more interested in getting the hero to join him, than fight him to the death. Kulle wasn't going to back down though, because he was getting suspicious of everyone involved.

Also the letters claim Kulle isn't that easy to kill off permanently. His body is made of sand, and he could reform himself after time. Hence the whole head cut off and sealing in the Shadow Realm. We might have not seen the last of him...

I like this.
Reply Quote
It seemed like he understood that you were being used when he found the souls of the demon lords in there. He was right to not want to put the soul stone in the hands of the people you were working for. He seemed like a good guy, I really didn't understand why we killed him.
Reply Quote
we kill him for loot.. would have been better if we could have used him as a follower .. and then have him turn on us while fighting a boss .. now that would be the proper way for him to die ..
Reply Quote
cuz he has loot
Reply Quote
Why we Killed Him: Zoltun Kulle realized, when the souls of 5 Prime Evils entered his completed Black Soulstone, that something was deeply amiss. He felt betrayed, and he then turned to we, the heroes, and asked us to join him, to abandon the Eternal Conflict and instead fight for Sanctuary's predominance; with himself as the leader, naturally.

How we Killed Him: We are Nephalem. Read the Sin War Trilogy. Nephalem didn't just kill people, they -unmade- them at times. No doubt when we killed Zoltun Kulle, we -unmade- him. He himself wasn't a Nephalem, just a powerful Mage. He didn't have time enough for his body to adapt to the change in the Worldstone to become a Nephalem, thus he needed us, the actual Nephalem.

What does this mean: Two options become viable. The first is that Zoltun Kulle is now dead, and forever will be. His body wasn't just killed, but the magic holding it together and protecting it very well may have been unraveled by our Nephalem powers. That, or we can expect to see him down the road.
Reply Quote
Because he has a well practiced evil laugh.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
IDK he had an awefully tempting offer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]