Diablo® III

iMac Display goes black/turns off

90 Night Elf Druid
My iMac display just seems to turn on/off or even flicker during game play. The game is still running, and I can hear everything, can even teleport back to town, etc. I've had a similar situation when I was playing WoW (see http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3559105979), brought my iMac to the store to get it fixed 3 times. They replaced LCD, graphics card and did a full HD wipe. It went away for quite some time and I continued to play WoW. However, while playing Diablo again this week, it surfaced once more. The last time I brought my iMac to the Apple store, they didn't really do anything to it because they could not replicate the issue using their system stress software. They are saying that it might be software related - as it only happens when I'm playing WoW or Diablo and I'm starting to believe that. HELP!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.59f2

ATI Radeon HD 5750:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68a1
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B9710C-238
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.417
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Forgot to add this:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Reply Quote
Its probably because ur computer got overheated due to the heavy graphic of the game. Computers tend to go to sleep(?) mode to protect themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's not going into sleep mode since the computer/game is running completely with the exception of the display. Let's say the screen switched off, I can still type in chat or talk in vent and whatever I typed on my keyboard, clicked on my mouse is being read by the computer.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
I get this on Starcraft 2 with screen flicker. I think it's the Ati video drivers. I know my fans are at high speed and that Lion is a real pooch of an OS. It runs hotter and is less efficient. It's likely heat and I'd recommend Mountain Lion when it's out. They usually streamline the previous OS and then release something newer and repeat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]