Diablo® III

Is disintegration wave the most powerful aoe?

It does 1000% dmge and adds 1 second duration to archon for each kill. So sometimes I kill weak mobs and kill around 100 of them. And after my cooldown is back up again. It's extremely powerful compared to any of my other skills. It's about around 5 times stronger than most skills that wizards have. I can't imagine a class that has an aoe more powerful than disintegration wave..
Reply Quote
Yea but archon is a !@#$ty spell in general you won't get to use it when it counts in inferno. When you go archon mode you lose access to your defensive spells and get %^-*ed from one white mob.. so irrelevant.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 02:07 AMPosted by Rejuvee
Yea but archon is a !@#$ty spell in general you won't get to use it when it counts in inferno. When you go archon mode you lose access to your defensive spells and get %^-*ed from one white mob.. so irrelevant.

Wrong on all counts, please don't spread misinformation if you haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 02:09 AMPosted by Jal

Wrong on all counts, please don't spread misinformation if you haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Can you explicitly state what counts he's wrong about and how he's wrong on them?
Reply Quote
Archon is a great spell outside of solo play where you can have someone to protect you.

In solo play? You get teleport or slow time, but they're rather situational to use properly, and Archon doesn't really keep you from getting instagibbed in Inferno.
Reply Quote
lol
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Archon sucks hardcore. I love the spell, but it's just awful. You'll discover that soon enough.
Reply Quote
Archon is the wizards best spell besides Force/Energy Armor.
Reply Quote
So are all the mobs immune to slow / freeze / pushback / stun in inferno??? I don't use armor spells, and I do die from 2 hits from whites mobs in Hell already, but I don't really get hit much, if ever sometimes. Glass-cannon spec ftw.
Reply Quote
Archons an awesome spell but in the end there just better uses out of your other spells
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 02:13 AMPosted by Zee

Can you explicitly state what counts he's wrong about and how he's wrong on them?

Sure thing boss.

"Yea but archon is a !@#$ty spell in general" Archon is amazingly powerful, and personally has served as a game breaking cd. Also can act as a gear crutch for dps checks.

"Won't get to use when it counts" : It's a cool down you can monitor, in a video game with controlled pace. "When it counts" is when you feel you need it to succeed? Ok, wait the 20 seconds for the cd before diving into the next pack.

"When you go archon mode you lose access to your defensive spells and get %^-*ed from one white mob.. "
If one white mob can kill you in archon, you're afk or mentally handicapped. Any previously applied defensive ability remains in play while in archon. I.E. force armor preventing you from being killed by any less than 3 attacks.

Granted, I have had a few encounters that i would have benefited from having diamond skin, but consider that it's replaced with +60% armor, and you're hardly gimped.

Spam left click aoe stun, hold down right click and watch 60k ticks fly by.

Satisfied?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
KoR
Archon in Inferno? I have a very hard time justifying that. Apart from two primary offensive spells, I run with three defensive spells (Teleport, Mirror Image, Energy Armor) just to not get instagibbed by anything I run into. I still use Magic Weapon in the 4th slot for that sweet damage boost but, incredibly, I'm actually thinking of dropping that juicy +6000 damage for another defensive spell like Diamond Skin.

Archon is literally one of the last spells I want on my bars.

To the guy above me, I also question how useful Archon is for 'DPS checks' when things like Disintegration Wave require you to stand still. You won't get a chance to do that against something like Inferno Butcher, which so far as been the only real 'DPS check' I've run into so far. I beat that one with Meteor + Hydra, for maximum damage with minimal standing still. As long as your enemy is not a stationary target dummy, DPS is more than just looking at numbers.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 5/22/2012 2:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you for clarifying, I see where you are coming from. If I agree, is another matter.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue

Sure thing boss.

"Yea but archon is a !@#$ty spell in general" Archon is amazingly powerful, and personally has served as a game breaking cd. Also can act as a gear crutch for dps checks.

"Won't get to use when it counts" : It's a cool down you can monitor, in a video game with controlled pace. "When it counts" is when you feel you need it to succeed? Ok, wait the 20 seconds for the cd before diving into the next pack.

"When you go archon mode you lose access to your defensive spells and get %^-*ed from one white mob.. "
If one white mob can kill you in archon, you're afk or mentally handicapped. Any previously applied defensive ability remains in play while in archon. I.E. force armor preventing you from being killed by any less than 3 attacks.

Granted, I have had a few encounters that i would have benefited from having diamond skin, but consider that it's replaced with +60% armor, and you're hardly gimped.

Spam left click aoe stun, hold down right click and watch 60k ticks fly by.

Satisfied?

I'm in Act 3 Inferno and if you think Archon is viable solo, you're nuts.
Reply Quote
not everyone is a crack head with no job ie.: not everyone is in inferno.
Reply Quote
Its only good if you have someone tanking for you or can kill whatever it is before it reaches you. Its good on bosses as they have predictable patterns.
Edited by Credge#1504 on 5/22/2012 8:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would never have archon in a progression build, but farming old out geared content like a1 inferno, absolutely.
Reply Quote

To the guy above me, I also question how useful Archon is for 'DPS checks' when things like Disintegration Wave require you to stand still. You won't get a chance to do that against something like Inferno Butcher, which so far as been the only real 'DPS check' I've run into so far.

Question away, I'll continue doing around 380k damage a second while my templar is tanking butcher.
Reply Quote
Okay.. I understand you lose all your defense in archon mode. But does anyone think if it's useful in pvp. I mean it does 1000% dmge. That's more than quadruple of our strongest single target skill. IDK about other classes.. but wizards seems to have only aoe skills except ray of frost.. but even that can be changed into a 215%aoe dmge but very small aoe and you'll probably die from standing still. and they all do only around 180%dmge. Do the other classes have stronger skills that hit like idk... 500%?
Edited by RuthlessAB#1223 on 5/22/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:27 AMPosted by RuthlessAB
Okay.. I understand you lose all your defense in archon mode. But does anyone think if it's useful in pvp. I mean it does 1000% dmge. That's more than quadruple of our strongest single target skill. IDK about other classes.. but wizards seems to have only aoe skills except ray of frost.. but even that can be changed into a 215%aoe dmge but very small aoe and you'll probably die from standing still. and they all do only around 180%dmge. Do the other classes have stronger skills that hit like idk... 500%?

I'm sure in pvp as soon as they see you pop archon the CC will come out and the smash.

Assuming we ever get pvp at any rate :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]