Diablo® III

Feminine Diablo (End Game Spoilers)

So I'll be honest, I never played Diablo 1 or 2, but I did read the Book of Cain. When I saw Diablo in that book he looked more of a medium weight (in a relative sence...) rough skinned demon. But when we actually saw Diablo, s/he had much more feminine traits
e.g.
Smooth Skin
Slender Figure
Feminine Strut

This was very confusing and I have some questions to ask
Is this just because he possesed a female?
However, Inarius said "Let your TRUE self be revealed" so the fact that it was a female shouldn't affect his form, should it?
Reply Quote
I'm not sure if he has a female figure because of Leah's body or because he merged with Andariel, it's probably because of Leah.
Reply Quote
He most likely takes on some of the traits of the host he was possessing, in this case Leah.
Reply Quote
His form is likely affected with the fact that he's absorbed he other six lords of hell within him. He has other things that he didn't have in previous diablos, such as little mouths on his shoulders reminiscent of azmodan, a mephisto-like rib cage, and so on. It's also likely that the person possessed has an affect on him, as his form was much larger in d2 when he possessed the guy who slew him in d1.
Reply Quote
That is a good point Dispellado, I didn't notice until you said this. There is a Lesser Evil that is in fact a Female so perhaps that is where he got his feminine traits from?
Reply Quote
Diablo is not a female. If he was, Mephisto would not have said, and I quote "Now my young brother, the time has come to assume your true form! Arise Diablo, Lord of Terror!" - Diablo II cinematic
Reply Quote
Yes, we know he is a male, that is why we refer to him as 'he'. But I am saying he displays feminine traits, and I was wondering where he received them.
Edited by JamesCodge#6873 on 5/22/2012 4:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Perhaps angels and demons are actually genderless? Its not uncommon in many other fictional stories for those of no gender to be given ambiguous gender titles. So while Diablo is referred to as a brother and a he, perhaps he is really both/neither male and female?

Also, considering his power, I don't think that its impossible for him to change form depending on various factors. I noticed the feminine aspects too in the cinematic, and figured it either had to do with Leah, or because Diablo just felt like being sexy.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Reminds me of Him from Powerpuff Girls
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 04:40 AMPosted by Scora
Perhaps angels and demons are actually genderless?

Strictly speaking, they have no sex. They do seem to have intercourse, and I believe that the 'taker' is female and the 'giver' male. I guess the gendered words used to describe them are assigned either according to how often they take vs give, or by humans who perceive them as male or female.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
The core reason why Diablo looks the way he does in Diablo 3 is because he used Leah's body.

However, the fact that he's a combination of all the evils is also a plausible reasoning. He has multiple arms (mephisto/baal/andariel) and a slender body (again, mephisto/baal/andariel).

However, due to the lack of any resemblance to Duriel and Azmodan, he may be only sharing features of the Mephisto and Baal, and the rest of it is just result of using Leah's body.

I'm betting for everyone playing Diablo 3 for the first time will be very confused. The same thing happened for when Guilty Gear came out in the States.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111214025244/guilty-gear/images/thumb/7/74/Ggxxacp_cs_ju.jpg/340px-Ggxxacp_cs_ju.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120513133437/diablo/images/thumb/3/3a/Diablo_Diablo_III_full_body.PNG/300px-Diablo_Diablo_III_full_body.PNG

Which one's a boy, and which ones a girl?

05/22/2012 04:45 AMPosted by Dotscom
Reminds me of Him from Powerpuff Girls

No! It cannot be unseen!
Edited by ImpTaimer#1705 on 5/22/2012 11:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well we have to remember that he is the Prime Evil in this iteration and thus is composed of 6 additional souls. It is highly likely that Baal and Mephisto have greater influence on the physical shaping as they - along with Diablo - are the prime evils. It's not a stretch to assume that the upright, slender figure is taken from Andariel.

I mean from a design perspective, I'd rather have that trait from Andariel, and not chains on his nipples or long red hair, lol.
Reply Quote
He took on the look of the body he took control of.... Leah. Thats all that needs to be said!
Reply Quote
They (Bliz devs) mention this change in Diablo's appearance in the Blu-ray/DVD that comes with the CE. The idea is that Diablo, being the Lord of Terror, takes on the form of whatever is most terrifying to his present host (since all Lords of Hell require a host-body in order to manifest in physical form). When Diablo manifested through Prince Albrecht and eventually the Dark Wanderer, he was more characteristically male. However, when he manifests through Leah, he takes a more feminine form based on her primal fears.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Don't forget that in English, the default gender when gender is ambiguous is male. The rule isn't as strict as it used to be, however it is considered improper, rude, etc., to refer to someone as an "it" when you don't know the gender. To further complicate this, in previous incarnations Diablo had every indication of being a male. In Diablo 3, his feminine body conflicts with the use of the masculine words (he, brother).

And of course since it's not as easy as lifting up the skirt and checking, Diablo could be anything from androgynous to hermaphroditic to a traditional binary gender of male or female (you never know what is under those body plates). Again though, English only has three terms for referencing gender: he, she, and it. This makes writing dialogue difficult when discussing a being that transforms the host body and takes on some of its features, and even more difficult when discussing a being that has also absorbed the other Evils.

Perhaps it would have made more sense if Diablo spoke and was referenced more like a Borg, with "We" and "They". "We speak as One." That would be kind of strange too, since Diablo is supposed to be the one in control.
Reply Quote
Don't forget that in English, the default gender when gender is ambiguous is male. The rule isn't as strict as it used to be, however it is considered improper, rude, etc., to refer to someone as an "it" when you don't know the gender. To further complicate this, in previous incarnations Diablo had every indication of being a male. In Diablo 3, his feminine body conflicts with the use of the masculine words (he, brother).

And of course since it's not as easy as lifting up the skirt and checking, Diablo could be anything from androgynous to hermaphroditic to a traditional binary gender of male or female (you never know what is under those body plates). Again though, English only has three terms for referencing gender: he, she, and it. This makes writing dialogue difficult when discussing a being that transforms the host body and takes on some of its features, and even more difficult when discussing a being that has also absorbed the other Evils.

Perhaps it would have made more sense if Diablo spoke and was referenced more like a Borg, with "We" and "They". "We speak as One." That would be kind of strange too, since Diablo is supposed to be the one in control.

At some point he says "I am legion"
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/23/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Grulo
At some point he says "I am legion"

I remember that. Then my Wizard laughed and shot him in the face with a giant laser beam. :)
Reply Quote
Diablo is most definatly a male. Like others have said, it's all down to the body he posessed and, quite possibly, the shaping influeces of the other 6 evils. After all, if you had your conciousness transferred into the body of someone of the opposite gender, you would still be you with your own gender identity, just in a different body
Reply Quote
I loved this, it made him way more creepy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]