Diablo® III

2-Hand Necessary for Blizzard/Hydra?

As far as I know, neither blizzard nor hydra are affected by your weapon speed. The blizzard tooltip even states that its damage is dealt over 6 seconds. In inferno, I see many builds running a blizzard + hydra build that allows them to do damage while kiting (read: running for their lives). Since the only stat that both skills are apparently based on is weapon damage, would it not benefit a wizard most (who relies upon these to actually damage stuff, which seems rather necessary with inferno mob packs and champions) to use a weapon that simply has a high damage range?

I.E. Would it not benefit the wizard to simply run a two-handed staff/sword if he mainly relies upon fixed DoT spells to do damage?
Reply Quote
As far as I know, every spell's cast time is determined from weapon speed.

Personally, I don't know what the whole "2H IS BETTER FOR WIZARD" stuff is about. I haven't found a 2H weapon that has more DPS than a wand+OH. The damage on sources is just too good.
Reply Quote
I've heard hyrda attack speed is dependent on weapon but I need to tests to confirm.
but if you're doing kite/teleport/hydra, then you shouldn't need to cast very fast anyways.

that's the tricky thing I think.

if you're doing fastest/constant cast with 1H, dps matters.
but if you're doing survival/kite/etc, then having a little lower DPS isn't as bad.

I nowadays check the weapon and the int and dont take the DPS# at face value now.
Reply Quote
That's the thing, though. Blizzard does it's damage over 6 seconds. No exceptions. There does not seem to be any latitude for allowing IAS to increase its tick rate (which would mean that it would have have a shorter duration for faster weapons). Also, I have not seen a difference in attack rate of hydra between weapons.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
As far as I know, every spell's cast time is determined from weapon speed.

Personally, I don't know what the whole "2H IS BETTER FOR WIZARD" stuff is about. I haven't found a 2H weapon that has more DPS than a wand+OH. The damage on sources is just too good.

I was using a 750 dps 1h + 110-405 source (highest I've ever seen thusfar), and an 1100 dps 2h mace was a 3k dps upgrade for me (no intelligence on any of aforementioned weapons).
Reply Quote
I believe weapon speed DOES affect how fast the cast comes out though. In other words, having a good weapon speed will help you get both hydra and blizzard on the battlefield quickly, which makes it easy to spam other spells once you get them out.
Reply Quote
True, but I was contending that, once on the field, the dps of those spells is determined only by a weapon's damage range, not its attack speed.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Moridin
True, but I was contending that, once on the field, the dps of those spells is determined only by a weapon's damage range, not its attack speed.

That's right. This is how all attacks in the game work for all classes. Cast speed is determined by weapon speed. Cast damage is determined by weapon DAMAGE, not DPS.

This is why 2h weapons are still viable even though they are only slightly more dps than 1h weapons, they do far more damage per cast because they are slower.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]