Diablo® III

How did Diablo get inside the black soulstone

<---- this guy has been wrong before...

but didn't you only destroy 3 soul stones in D2? and were they not only a link to sanctuary from the dark realms (the reason the world stone was destroyed, to try and sever the bridge)? there could still be 4 or 5 more out there, all newly made and junk. Adrias been up to shenanigans.
Reply Quote
This hole in the lore bugs me a lot and forces me to believe that the Diablo 3 writing team was very lazy or didn't have much control over what they could write.

There seem to be only two options for why this giant hole occurred. One, the Diablo 3 team thought the lore was fairly self-explanatory (Adria tagged the souls and thus they went to the soulstone, duh) and thus there wasn't a need to add any more details. Two, the Diablo 3 team used deus ex machina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina) because they wanted the story to move along.

My bet is on the Diablo 3 team being lazy and taking short cuts. Most of the game consists of hand holding at every step. Magdah/Azmodan/Diablo constantly tell you their plans, every time you seem to hit a road block something pops up 5 seconds later to help you on your way (enchantress guides you with hidden foot steps, Leah has magic visions of where sword pieces are, etc) and GIANT blips appear on the map when you get close to a quest objective. There are many more examples, but I'll keep it short.

Most of Diablo 3 has hand holding in it, but when a major piece of the story magically gets solved or put onto a certain track, then Blizzard decides to suddenly stop guiding you or explaining how something happened?. I don't know how Blizzard decided to write the story, but my guess would be that they came up with the beginning (evil rises again) and end (Diablo gets resurrected with the power of all the other lords of hell) and after that they filled the holes with whatever.

I wonder if the Diablo 3 team even bothered to play D1/D2 or read up on the old lore. Whenever a lore road block appeared the solution became !@#$ it let's solve this with magic. If you haven't read up on the pre-Diablo 1 lore up to Diablo 2 LOD lore, then I suggest checking out http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/sqhuw/the_story_so_fara_recount_of_what_has_happened/
Reply Quote
Ok, I have an easy explanation for this, and it makes a great deal of sense to me.

I think only Kulle Adria really understand how the stones worked just as a beginner note. Even if Tyreal made them, I don't think he knew the scope of what they could really do.

When the Prime Evils were banished to sanctuary(which is basically earth) by the lesser evils, Tyreal made the 3 original soulstones from shards of the worldstone, and attuned them to their specific targets. I believe the soulstones were actually a direct link to the black abyss, and upon their destruction, the link outside the Black Abyss is lost.

KEY POINT: Kulle's black soulstone can tap into any number of Demon's Souls in the Black abyss. Adria's 'marking' of each of the 5 previously vanquished souls allowed them all to be tied to the Black Soulstone once it was completed. Kulle did not forsee this.
Reply Quote
Okay, I will explain it in full.

Diablo's soul didn't go into his soulstone but the black soulstone at the end of D2. Same goes for Mephisto and Baal.

Kulle even stated before the battle in shock that there were already souls surprisingly already inside it.

The lesser evils didn't have soulstones, and went into the black soulstone.

the reason why all of this happened was a preplanned plot of diablo's carried out by Adria in the event we was defeated, or maybe he planned to be defeated in D2 in the first place as a master scheme to become the prime evil and destroy heaven.
Reply Quote
Adria alreay trapping the 5 other evils inside the black soulstone somehow is called. . .

LAZY WRITING

p.s. the diablo 3 story is bad

ABSOLUTELY, it is nothing else for chrissakes. Look at all these people trying to rationalize and explain the story's inconsistencies for it to make some sense. Haha we're basically doing the writers work for them.

Except it does make sense.

The thing is some questions are unanswered like

1) What DOES "marking a soul" actually require you to do?
Nothing says you even have to be in a persons presence to do such -perhaps it only requires a magickal ritual allowing you to perform it remotely.

2) If we assume Adria worked "from the shadows" I imagine she could have globetrotted just like the characters did in D2 (not to mention we KNOW she was...aheheheh in bed with Diablo at the end of D1)

This is also supported by the fact that according to Adria, this whole plan was layed out long ago. She knew Diablo was within Aidan and conceived Leah with the intent for the plan to play out in this nature. If Diablo had succeeded in D2, then whatever (unless the original intent even then was to draw his brothers back out only to have them killed and hid his true essence within the child to be so that he had no reason to worry about losing yet another host). Worst case, it was a fail safe either way.

So basically, Leah was the last horcrux?

I like the sound of that but I dont think that's what happened.

My thinking is that perhaps she marked Diablo while she was still in Tristram, then pursued Baal and marked him when he wasn't looking, and then went to Mephisto and marked him as well.

They die, they do go to their respective soulstones, but when we broke them instead of heading for the Abyss they went to the Black Soulstone.

Then in Diablo 3 I am sure that Adria was banking on Cain and Leah eventually deciphering that Hakan was Belial or that Belial was in Caldeum in some other, perhaps banking on Magdah doing something to provoke them, hoping for her once sister in the coven to fail.

Basically this -or they could have went TO the Abyss and THEN to the Black Soulstone.

KEY POINT: Kulle's black soulstone can tap into any number of Demon's Souls in the Black abyss. Adria's 'marking' of each of the 5 previously vanquished souls allowed them all to be tied to the Black Soulstone once it was completed. Kulle did not forsee this.

Hrmmmm
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 5/27/2013 5:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay, I will explain it in full.

Diablo's soul didn't go into his soulstone but the black soulstone at the end of D2. Same goes for Mephisto and Baal.

Kulle even stated before the battle in shock that there were already souls surprisingly already inside it.

The lesser evils didn't have soulstones, and went into the black soulstone.

the reason why all of this happened was a preplanned plot of diablo's carried out by Adria in the event we was defeated, or maybe he planned to be defeated in D2 in the first place as a master scheme to become the prime evil and destroy heaven.

Xanatos Gambit.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit
Reply Quote
[quote]
Xanatos Gambit.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit

Precisely.
Reply Quote
Maybe blizzard is just saving the explanations for xpac. Makes alot of sense to me.
Reply Quote
Heres how I see it,
When you destroy a soul stone you send that entity into the abyss forever. So Diablo, Baal, Mephisto, Andariel and Duriel all the abyss hanging out forever after D2. And in steps Zoltan Kulle who creates the black soul stone which in all its essence is the abyss itself, crazy power hungry fool created an abomination. So here you have in D3 a soul stone that has essential everything that has been banished into the abyss.
Edited by WinterStorm#6469 on 11/14/2013 10:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lets start from the beginning, Adian having defeated diablo slams the soulstone into his forehead, is "consoled" by Adria and Adria carries a his daugher leah presumably with part of diablos soul. If you read "The Order" its explains leah's gifts. Anyways fast foroward to d2 time the five or seven do their thing killing andariel and duriel( adria tags them) cross the sea kill mephisto grab his soulstone, kill diablo steal his stone smash both on the hellforge which sends their souls to the black abyss as tyreal calls it but instead are drawn into the black soulstone because adria tagged em. Again i'm guessing it was only a part of diablo's soul that was put into leah. PLZ read order it helps fill in the gaps. We kill baal adria does her thing. 20 years later we grab the black soulstone kill belial and asmodan trapping the last. But of course instead of my personal favorite another run down to the hell forge adria does one last spell and fuses leah spirit( that has part of diablo's soul with the black soulstone and presto prime evil. I do believe however this is a part of a much larger plan, perhaps even crafted by mephisto he may not be the most powerful but he is cunning.

The three meet back in travimcal to set forth a plan to create the prime evil. Mephisto and diablo buy enough time for baal to corrupt the worldstone. Tyreal has no choice but to smash it. Therefore the nephelem are gradually re introduced into the world.(read sin war for more info) With the worldstone gone, diablo sets phase two into play with leah and her eventual corruption and assaults the high heavens with some eventual unforeseen purpose.

It makes sense in the end just have to go back far enough.
Reply Quote
This is a pretty old thread. :P

Adria didn't follow the D2 heroes and "ninja" their souls upon defeat, rather she spent the last 20 years marking the lingering essences of the defeated Lords of Hell.
Reply Quote
Except that the cinematic after Diablo was defeated in D2 explicitly showed his soul being sucked into the soulstone in his forehead, which later in the same cinematic was shown to be destroyed on the Hellforge. There is no explanation for this unless in the journey back from Chaos Sanctuary to the Hellforge Adria hoodwinked our hero to giving her Diablo's soulstone and replaced it with a fake one.

My theory on this is that the Black Soulstone only contained Belial and Azmodan, and when fused with Diablo/Leah's body, only 3 of the Evils. This accounts for the "three heads" on Diablo when he invaded Heaven, and why if he was the Prime Evil he could be banished just like that when the progenitor of the Angels died just to defeat it. Diablo believed he was the Prime Evil and the manifestation of all seven Evils when in fact he only had 3, and this might be because of Adria's plans all along.

As to why she did this, beats me. She could be serving her own ends or she has a plan for the remaining four (Mephisto, Baal, Andariel, and Duriel) and the 3 banished ones.
Reply Quote
11/21/2013 08:55 PMPosted by Zanyuki
Except that the cinematic after Diablo was defeated in D2 explicitly showed his soul being sucked into the soulstone in his forehead, which later in the same cinematic was shown to be destroyed on the Hellforge. There is no explanation for this unless in the journey back from Chaos Sanctuary to the Hellforge Adria hoodwinked our hero to giving her Diablo's soulstone and replaced it with a fake one.

My theory on this is that the Black Soulstone only contained Belial and Azmodan, and when fused with Diablo/Leah's body, only 3 of the Evils. This accounts for the "three heads" on Diablo when he invaded Heaven, and why if he was the Prime Evil he could be banished just like that when the progenitor of the Angels died just to defeat it. Diablo believed he was the Prime Evil and the manifestation of all seven Evils when in fact he only had 3, and this might be because of Adria's plans all along.

As to why she did this, beats me. She could be serving her own ends or she has a plan for the remaining four (Mephisto, Baal, Andariel, and Duriel) and the 3 banished ones.

but the soul stones were meant to keep them from coming back throw the black abyss. the black abyss acts much the same way the crystal arch does. i beleave she was casting there souls into the black soul stone after there souls stones were destroyed at the hell forge and because we did not see baal, mephisto , andariel, duriel or diablo him self not this new demon that is is trying to become turn back into Tathamet. this miss labeled thing we fight at the end of act 4 is made of of bits and peaces you can see that are made up from baal, mephisto, Belial, Azmodan and diablo. i think reincarnated tathamet would have been a better fitting name for act4 final boss
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]