Diablo® III

Shen, the jeweler - Who is he, really?

citation or gtfo

Didn't anyone ever teach you manners?
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 04:19 PMPosted by Elessius
Just so you guys know, in Chinese, the last name "Shen" can either be a normal last name or the word "god". So the name "Covetous Shen" can be translate to "god of Covetous"

Yes! That it! He's Greed, the ruler of the domain all the gold-demons run off to when they open their portals!

Seems like most people didn't even know covetous is a word :D
Reply Quote

Except the main characters of D3 ARE awakened nephalem.

citation or gtfo
You mean apart from the entire dungeon where Mr. Nephalem ghost tells you that you are a Nephalem. You mean apart from the whole conversation with Zoltun Kulle who also says you are a Nephalem. You mean apart from everyone everywhere calling you a Nepahlem. You mean apart from you single handedly killing a being who brought heaven down to its knees? You mean apart from you single handedly destroying an entire demonic army? You mean apart from the game itself awarding you "Nephalem Valor"
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Blissey1
you know, I was thinking a dragonlance parallel as well, but not Roerx. No, I was thinking Fizban AKA Paladine. Both are gods in disguise(well, maybe in shens case), both appear bumbling and kinda derpy to avoid suspicion that they're a god, yet both are apparently very powerful(how else has shen survived so long?)

A female druid he had been spying on while bathing for "cultural research" chased him in beast form for 3 miles.

The Nephalem are the original humans, born from angels and demons mating. Some of them grew FAR more powerful than either angels or demons, so the worldstone was used to dampen their power. From this point on, they are called humans.

With the worldstone destroyed in D2, some humans Nephalem potential has been released. Most humans, however, have not reached this so only the player character is referred to as a Nephalem.

There's a HUGE hole in that, all humans are indeed transcendent from nephalem, thanks to the worldstone, they became weaker and weaker as they were born. In order to be called a nephalem and have really any sort of power, you'd have to be one of the original nephalem.

You can't have a power "awakened" when there was been centuries of it being weakened.

here, I will have an immortal cookie on this table. it will never go bad. But I decide the cookie is too powerful, I will eat a bit in 1 year, again another year, again another year, sooner or later there is no cookie.

Except the worldstone didnt eat all of their powers.

A cookie is a finite and LIMITED thing. The the worldstone sapping their power is like breaking branches off of a tree...THEY CAN GROW BACK!!!!

Derrrrrrrp.
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 5/24/2012 5:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
in act four he refers to the Dirgest Jewel which imprisoned a guy named Dirgest. supposedly it happened when "the mountains were still young"

when the character presses him to answer who he really is, he makes some reference to him being an wise old man. it is very likely this is the former Angel of wisdom. or maybe he may just have been a former angel.

He also makes references to people mistaking him for the Xianlai god of tricksters, Zei. Who is apparently usually seen in the form of a kindly old merchant wandering the world.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Im starting to believe Shen is jsut a God of Greed instead of anything else.
Every time he talks he talk about something greedy, food, jewels, womans, information. However, he disguises himself as a humble man, to not become suscpicious.

But...WTF ? why???
Reply Quote
Every time he talks he talk about something greedy, food, jewels, womans, information. However, he disguises himself as a humble man, to not become suscpicious.

But...WTF ? why???

You don't need reasoning, its one of the few interesting story-topics of the game. Maybe it will play out later.
Reply Quote

here, I will have an immortal cookie on this table. it will never go bad. But I decide the cookie is too powerful, I will eat a bit in 1 year, again another year, again another year, sooner or later there is no cookie.

the cookie is a lie
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
The guy keeps warm using fire opals inside his underwear...hes nuts! heuehuehue
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
05/24/2012 08:44 AMPosted by Steak
I thought he was supposed to be a racist version of a Jew. Never gave it any thought. After reading this I view him in a new way.

So you were not the only one. That actually popped in my head when he was first onscreen.

I was like WTH Blizzard....I actually thought he was supposed to be GBT though too.

But...WTF ? why???

No........I KNOW WHO HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghom =Gluttony
Cydaea=Lust
Shen= .........Greed. He is one of Azmodan's lieutenants in disguise.
Reply Quote
The Nephalem are the original humans, born from angels and demons mating. Some of them grew FAR more powerful than either angels or demons, so the worldstone was used to dampen their power. From this point on, they are called humans.

With the worldstone destroyed in D2, some humans Nephalem potential has been released. Most humans, however, have not reached this so only the player character is referred to as a Nephalem.

There's a HUGE hole in that, all humans are indeed transcendent from nephalem, thanks to the worldstone, they became weaker and weaker as they were born. In order to be called a nephalem and have really any sort of power, you'd have to be one of the original nephalem.

You can't have a power "awakened" when there was been centuries of it being weakened.

I think since the worldstone was destroyed, the powers of nephalem descendants have begun to grow once again. It's not that they were awakened, it's that in the 20 years without the dampening effect, they're powers are returning.

"It is unknown what exact effect the destruction of the Worldstone will have on the inhabitants of Sanctuary. There are currently three very connected speculations regarding the power of the humans:
Now that the Worldstone is destroyed, the power of the Nephalem will now stop decreasing.
The power of the new generation of the Nephalem will not only stop decreasing, but will actually return to the original degree that it was at the creation of Sanctuary, surpassing those of both Angels and Demons.
The power will gradually refill over the new generations, much like it degraded before.
This may explain the very god-like powers of the classes in Diablo III as mentioned by Blizzard. It should be noted, in that respect, that the (female) Wizard is specifically stated to be nineteen-years old, thus putting her birth after the destruction of the Worldstone. Therefore, this implies that she is one of the 'new generation' and that her powers were influenced in one of the ways above or other."

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Worldstone
Reply Quote
It is interesting that it translates to covetous god. To my knowledge, there wasn't a prime or lesser evil specializing in greed. Closest thing was Asmodeus (Sin).

He is in Nephalem form though, and the spirits can't even agree on who he is (according to WD dialogue). This means that he is probably something different than nephalem, demons, or angels, similar to Trang'oul, but in a different (human) form.

Nephalem did live very long lives, so if he was one he'd have to be one that found a way to keep the worldstone affecting him. .... Hmm....WorldSTONE.....soulSTONE...GemSTONE...and he is borderline obsessed with stones...interesting...
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Druid
Shen IS Inarius
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 04:45 AMPosted by Solidus
Just so you guys know, in Chinese, the last name "Shen" can either be a normal last name or the word "god". So the name "Covetous Shen" can be translate to "god of Covetous"

Yes! That it! He's Greed, the ruler of the domain all the gold-demons run off to when they open their portals!

I should've known.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 05:18 PMPosted by mizredavni

I gotta refer you to the Sin War trilogy, in it, Uldyssian awakens his nephalem powers and becomes insanely powerful, he even trained others to awaken their powers and freed Sanctuary from both the demons and angels who sought to control it. And thats generations after the worldstone was tuned, so yeah, the human's nephalem powers are simply dormant within them, not gone.

Where do you think Magic comes from? if not a faint remnant of dormant powers that still lies in many of the humans in Sanctuary

05/25/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Flaw
Shen IS Inarius

If he was don't you think the enchantress would recognize him? considering hes the one that sent her in the future and shes actively looking for him?
Reply Quote
Posted by Elessius

that may be right. i see a possible expansion...
Reply Quote
I bet Shen is Blizzard's Noodle Incident.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoodleIncident

Invented with very little backstory, with none ever, EVER going to be given. They want to see what we come up with.
Reply Quote
Shen might be a god

But he have be related with one of the 2 lord of hell we never heard of(?Lord of Envy?+???).

they have to be nine lord of hell not only 7.
Edited by Fallen84#1965 on 7/8/2012 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
he is greed. his character and name translation say so.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]