Diablo® III

Open Letter to Chris Metzen

The Lord of Lies can't lie?  He was disguised as a kid, and his demons were disguised as guards. He was lying the whole time. I was half expecting Eirena to be Belial, so I was somewhat surprised. Asmodan was haranguing you, but he wasn't giving away his strategy. He talked about the assault of the keep's walls ... you already know that.  The fact that Asmodan and Diablo kept saying "You'll never get past this part" is intended to display their arrogance and your power as a warrior. It gives the player a feeling of victory. D3 wasn't dark?  Corpses, mutilated bodies, and graphic carnage wasn't enough? I felt scared when I went further down into the Arreat crater, knowing that the spider demoness would keep me captive and brutally torture me to death if I was defeated. Belial was somewhat scary too, and I was as tight as a drum when I fought Diablo.
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 01:31 AMPosted by Scorch
Even Stephen King and JRR Tolkien eventually hit a wall.

What wall was that for J. R. R. Tolkien?

Yeah, what? All I've seen is fantastic with JRRT.
Reply Quote
08/27/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Starblazer
The Lord of Lies can't lie?  He was disguised as a kid, and his demons were disguised as guards. He was lying the whole time.

His disguise as a kid is so damn good that every single hero sees through it. Your hero doesn't fall for the disguise - when you confront the emperor for the last time, you unmask him as Belial. Hence he's a bad liar. I expect tha Lord of Lies to be good a liar, and he isn't if you don't fall for it.

Was anyone fooled? The common folk doesn't get to see their emperor and the nobles in the palace were all expelled (standing around in the town or having left for Lut Gholein).

I was half expecting Eirena to be Belial, so I was somewhat surprised.

I was surprised too. The first time the emperor astral projected himself and talked to you I suspected him to be Belial. But every good "mystery" plot confronts you with several characters that seem suspicious, while being really crafty about hiding the real murderer / werewolf / lesser evil. So I was thinking about who would really be the Lord of Lies.

But the most obvious character with the most hints was actually the Lord of Lies... worst "mystery" plot ever.

Asmodan was haranguing you, but he wasn't giving away his strategy. He talked about the assault of the keep's walls ... you already know that.

He TOLD me that he breached the walls BEFORE I knew it. You then get the quest to enter the depths, then there are some demon soldiers coming out from there. So yeah he told you in advance.

And its not just about telling you stuff in advance - how is he a master tactitian?
His army immensly out-numbers that of the defenders, and the best thing he comes up with is just to assault the keep? No fancy strategy, no plotting, nothing else?

Aside from that, you systematically counter him and he doesn't care. He doesn't do anything about the Keep's catapults or when you destroy his. He didn't do anything at all. "Go army!" – that's it. There was so much potential here, but they didn't do anything with the characters.

The fact that Asmodan and Diablo kept saying "You'll never get past this part" is intended to display their arrogance and your power as a warrior. It gives the player a feeling of victory.

And it never felt stupid? You mow down everything in your path, 10 times he says you can't do it, 10 times you do. This isn't arrogance anymore. At least not in any adult storyline.

I don't say you are wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just clarified here how I feel about those specific aspects of the game.
Edited by EnCey#2528 on 8/28/2012 1:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The pc saw through Belial's disguise, but no one else did. If the pc didn't see through the disguise, then the game wouldn't progress. I really suspected Eirena too. Many players thought that the kid was too obvious, so there is reverse psychology. ;)

Asmodan and Diablo could have been a bit less talkative, but IMO it doesn't make much difference. Asmodan only mentions the walls being breached a few seconds before it happens (as it's happening, really), which comes across more like laughing in your face than giving way strategy. He built up substantial forces underground without anyone noticing.
Reply Quote

-unapealing character leading the story (leah)

Really? Why is that?

Uhhh cause she's a Mary Sue that came from nowhere and her emotional problems, life problems and abrupt end happened so fast that it didn't really matter to the player? I didn't get why my main char was so interested in Leah and was so quick to travel together with her.I felt NOTHING when she turned into Diablo, and I heard the whole "Adria! When did you decide to betray us?" thing.
Reply Quote
The pc saw through Belial's disguise, but no one else did. If the pc didn't see through the disguise, then the game wouldn't progress. I really suspected Eirena too. Many players thought that the kid was too obvious, so there is reverse psychology. ;)

Asmodan and Diablo could have been a bit less talkative, but IMO it doesn't make much difference. Asmodan only mentions the walls being breached a few seconds before it happens (as it's happening, really), which comes across more like laughing in your face than giving way strategy. He built up substantial forces underground without anyone noticing.

I think for Diablo it DOES matter, because that's not Diablo. "I DORAL CLOSER TO VACKTERY, NERPHALARMS, U R TUE LAYT." "THAT IS NOT THE ONLY HELL RIFFFFFFT" "THE HELL RIFTS ARE CLOSED, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER EVEN THOUGH I ANNOUNCE THE IMPORTANCE OF THEM EVERY SECOND TO YOU"
Reply Quote

I think for Diablo it DOES matter, because that's not Diablo. "I DORAL CLOSER TO VACKTERY, NERPHALARMS, U R TUE LAYT." "THAT IS NOT THE ONLY HELL RIFFFFFFT" "THE HELL RIFTS ARE CLOSED, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER EVEN THOUGH I ANNOUNCE THE IMPORTANCE OF THEM EVERY SECOND TO YOU"

You keep foiling their evil plans, and they just can't believe it. Who could be so awesome? ;) They expect you to die every step of the way, and they keep thinking "This time, he doesn't stand a chance". It may also be fear on their part, and their attempt to keep their game face on. Imagine the hero in a movie that keeps foiling the main villain's plans, and the villain keeps saying "It doesn't matter. This time, you're doomed."

It might have been pretty lame if one of their visions had them saying "I'm sorry. I never should have left Hell. Please don't lock me up in that little stone! Forgive me! I was born a demon and I had no choice! I did bad things and I'm sorry. I'm leaving right now! I'm going back to Hell. Just go away! NOOOOOO!!!!"
Reply Quote
They lost me when Leah turn into skinny diablo.
Reply Quote
The Lord of Lies can't lie?  He was disguised as a kid, and his demons were disguised as guards. He was lying the whole time. I was half expecting Eirena to be Belial, so I was somewhat surprised. Asmodan was haranguing you, but he wasn't giving away his strategy. He talked about the assault of the keep's walls ... you already know that.  The fact that Asmodan and Diablo kept saying "You'll never get past this part" is intended to display their arrogance and your power as a warrior. It gives the player a feeling of victory. D3 wasn't dark?  Corpses, mutilated bodies, and graphic carnage wasn't enough? I felt scared when I went further down into the Arreat crater, knowing that the spider demoness would keep me captive and brutally torture me to death if I was defeated. Belial was somewhat scary too, and I was as tight as a drum when I fought Diablo.

You kidding?

Cause last I recall, his 'guards' transform in front of you instead of sneak attacking you (although they do vanish), and "Emperor Hakan" can project/teleport himself with this green magic you see on the summoning constructs the first time you flee the inner city? I knew right friggin there. Little kid emperors don't teleport with the same freakin' magic that demon constructs have.

And speaking of 'dark', it's not about WHAT you put in the game. There could be corpses covered in sprinkles and lollipops (think of lollipop chainsaw as an example of "horror") and you couldn't FEEL the mood or tone. I would be laughing, not all "urrraggh! Corpses!"

Diablo 2 at least had war fog and extremely dark areas. It was awesome to hear enemies make noises before you even saw them.
Edited by zCrystallite#1460 on 9/2/2012 12:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You keep foiling their evil plans, and they just can't believe it. Who could be so awesome? ;) They expect you to die every step of the way, and they keep thinking "This time, he doesn't stand a chance". It may also be fear on their part, and their attempt to keep their game face on. Imagine the hero in a movie that keeps foiling the main villain's plans, and the villain keeps saying "It doesn't matter. This time, you're doomed."

It might have been pretty lame if one of their visions had them saying "I'm sorry. I never should have left Hell. Please don't lock me up in that little stone! Forgive me! I was born a demon and I had no choice! I did bad things and I'm sorry. I'm leaving right now! I'm going back to Hell. Just go away! NOOOOOO!!!!"

That makes the player either feel one of two things:

1. Demon lords aren't that impressive
2. The previous Diablo games should never have been dark/horror themed and should feel more like Dragon Ball Z. I'd like to see my !@# kicked by bosses who subtley scare you, not talk to you every 5 seconds. I'd like bosses to be harder than elite packs, for crying out loud.
Edited by zCrystallite#1460 on 9/2/2012 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You don't get my / our point – it is not about what they say to you, it is the simple fact THAT they talk to you every 5 minutes. Thus they appear idiotic, weak, unsure and/or overly naive.

Compare this to Diablo 2. The lone wanderer just went to Lut Gholein with the intention to free Baal.
On his trail everything corrupts and evil spreads. He doesn't care about the pathetic hero that follows him. His very presence, manifesting in countless monsters and undead, keeps the hero from catching up.

This guy appears powerful. You are having trouble to simply catch up, killing what he left behind. You are just an insect to him, not worthy of attention. And he hasn't even gained his true form yet. He is still partly human.
Diablo 3 tries to portray the same Diablo. But instead of treating you like a weak mortal, he talks to you non-stop. He tells you every 5 minutes that you will never be able to stop him.

Let me try to explain it this way: How would you like a Lord of the Rings movie in Diablo 3 style?
Everytime Frodo does SOMETHING, there is a telekinetic picture of Sauron's eye, screaming at Frodo and telling him he will never manage to 1) get to Mordor 2) reach the volcano 3) destroy the ring etc. etc.
Every. !@#$ing. Time.

Would that movie be better or worse?
Would Diablo 3 be better if Diablo and Azmodan just shut the **** up until you reach them?
Oh yes. Definitely.
Reply Quote
I remember something about Blizzard saying they received an overwhelming positive response about the D3 story. I also spotted pigs flying outside my window.
Reply Quote
09/01/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Lenix
They lost me when Leah turn into skinny diablo.

With boobs, let's not forget the boobs.

It would've been awesome if Infested...er, Possessed Leah was still doing all the taunting until your actual engagement with Diablo. Would've made the game feel darker.
Reply Quote
Why is everyone so upset over Diablo's feminine form? He possessed a woman, so Leah's body provided the biological framework for his body. If he possessed a dog, then he would have looked like a huge hellhound. He'd be Dogablo. ;)
If he possessed a gerbil, then he'd be a giant killer demon gerbil. Gerbablo! LOL

It was something different. I liked it.
Reply Quote

You don't get my / our point – it is not about what they say to you, it is the simple fact THAT they talk to you every 5 minutes. Thus they appear idiotic, weak, unsure and/or overly naive.

Compare this to Diablo 2. The lone wanderer just went to Lut Gholein with the intention to free Baal.
On his trail everything corrupts and evil spreads. He doesn't care about the pathetic hero that follows him. His very presence, manifesting in countless monsters and undead, keeps the hero from catching up.

This guy appears powerful. You are having trouble to simply catch up, killing what he left behind. You are just an insect to him, not worthy of attention. And he hasn't even gained his true form yet. He is still partly human.
Diablo 3 tries to portray the same Diablo. But instead of treating you like a weak mortal, he talks to you non-stop. He tells you every 5 minutes that you will never be able to stop him.

Let me try to explain it this way: How would you like a Lord of the Rings movie in Diablo 3 style?
Everytime Frodo does SOMETHING, there is a telekinetic picture of Sauron's eye, screaming at Frodo and telling him he will never manage to 1) get to Mordor 2) reach the volcano 3) destroy the ring etc. etc.
Every. !@#$ing. Time.

Would that movie be better or worse?
Would Diablo 3 be better if Diablo and Azmodan just shut the **** up until you reach them?
Oh yes. Definitely.

Agreed. I really missed the dark, creepy atmosphere and the sense of hopelessness when you're trying hard to catch up to something seemingly far more powerful than you. In D3, there's no dark and gritty atmosphere (with the exception of corpses and blood strewn about everywhere, but that was cartoonish and I didn't care about my surroundings) and plus the fact that good guy NPCs incessantly praise how powerful/awesome/wonderful you are just kills any sort of suspense and conflict. You're the nephalem; you're unbeatable. It got annoying and boring listening to and about the PC Sue/Stu.
Reply Quote
I see your points about Diablo and Asmodan being very talkative and how that bugs some people. I guess it didn't bug me much. It's worth noting that the technology has improved, which allows a lot more speech in games. As far as being dark goes, Alcarnus definitely qualifies. Could you imagine seeing something like that?

I've played the game without the background music, and that definitely felt creepier to me.
Reply Quote
To be honest you can tell all 3 games are completely different story arcs, the novels go absolutely bonkers TBH 3 is terribad the cinematic work is beautiful but a complete waste do to the lack of conveyance of no story or thereof, this was rushed like 2-3 year rushed not the decade we thought was put behind this game, also the temper and mood of the game is all wrong, Good doesn't win without sacrifice, and most certainly never triumphs but i guess this as well will be adressed in an expansions, bottom line we didn't get a full game, or story just questions and a rush job that goes further from core lore and more into the books wrote around the universe.
PLz get a competant writer if you don't love what you do , and don't have or know what diablo is then leave. D3 proves this
Reply Quote
The story for this game was so bad that I actually watched the credits to find out who was responsible for it and then read their wiki page, and was really quite shocked to find out this dude had worked on the original diablo. Im thinking this guy is like the George Lucas of blizzard (in that he once did good stuff but now that he has a lot of worshippers he basically sucks balls).
To say that I wish I never bought Diablo 3 is an understatement. This will be the last thing that Blizzard makes that I buy. I have not been this dissapointed since I watched that movie with Jet Li and Jackie Chan in it only to find it was some stupid teenage story about a spoilt white kid.
Reply Quote
The biggest problem with the Diablo story is the limitations they set in the original Diablo game. To be specific:
1. It’s a “good vs. evil” story. Which is boring.
2. The name is “diablo”, but you defeat diablo but then they have to bring him back and then you defeat him again… and again… which is also boring

Good vs. evil stories are generally very predictable and stereotypical. The best thing Blizz did for the warcraft universe was to bring in ambiguity. There aren’t so many clear-cut “good guys” and “bad guys”. You get your “villains” but generally you get to see everyone’s side of the story and you even get to choose the side you like the most.

With Diablo, you’re pretty much stuck fighting The Bad Guy. They tried to make the Angels also seem kind bad-ish (which failed imo) but it’s really not enough. Considering the limitations they had I actually think they did pretty well. Making Diablo a chick was a good spin. And quite frankly I was GLAD when Leah turned and I got to kill her coz she’s awful. She’s like this dumb teenage girl who doesn’t believe in her “uncle”s research, until he dies. Then it’s suddenly “Even I took his wisdom for granted”. Like wtf? You laughed in his face. Then she meets her super dodgy mother and just falls in with her. Again wtf? This woman abandoned you, lied to you and is totally blatantly using you and you’re OK with that?? Plus she “misses Caldeum. It’s such an open and beautiful city”… until she gets there and it’s suddenly rotten-to-the-core and built on lies. And she talks all.the.time. I don’t mind the bad guys talking. I DO mind Leah constantly blabbing utter nonsense.

But apart from Leah, the story isn’t all that bad. And the voice acting, scenery and sound effects are awesome so imo that makes up for the rest.
Reply Quote
/not signed

I agree with most criticism of Blizzard writing deteriorating. Not so much with D3: I missed the darker tone a lot, but voice acting, gameplay-storyline interaction, art, many things convince me that Blizzard still knows how to tell a story with the game media.

In SC2, they both lost some of the better components of the Universe (cyberpunk, grey morality, grittiness) but they also experimented successfully with making Raynor a good protagonist - and the most human Blizzard character so far.

But yes, SC2 disappointed me deeply; D3, not so much because SC2 prepared me for what was coming.

Anyway this isn't even my point. I could be even more disappointed, or not disappointed at all. I'm not signing it because Chris Metzen shouldn't leave his job as Blizzard's story mastermind.

Most people are disappointed because SC and Diablo don't feel quite like SC ad Diablo anymore. What do you think will happen when this completely intuitive guy who invented both worlds goes away?

I do think Blizzard needs better writers. Better storytellers, people with better technical understanding of writing and cinema. And Metzen should keep being this chaotic fountain of Metzenish ideas. "Then the hero becomes irradiated by Cesium and fall into darkness. MAKE THIS WORK" "Yes, mr Metzen, please don't kill me", says his Pulitzer winning minion.

Of course Blizzard needs new ideas, but it is Pony Metzen's one single trick that has made us all addicts to his worlds. He should stay. I'm not saying someone new shouldn't come in to help, but the most important thing here it is his unique flavor that made us stay so far.

I'm talking of Metzen, the artist, of course. I don't know Metzen, the team leader and manager - only the results of this work. Maybe he should improve this part.
Edited by TcheQuevara#1163 on 9/16/2012 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]