Diablo® III

Open Letter to Chris Metzen

/Signed

By far the worst plot I've ever been exposed to in a Video Game. I was genuinely embarrassed to let my friends and family watch me play this game. Because every piece of dialogue, every predictable plot turn, and the childish villains just made all of this seem like one big waste of my money.

I only bought the game because of the success of the previous two.
Edited by seph#1620 on 6/16/2013 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
05/25/2012 01:31 AMPosted by Scorch
Even Stephen King and JRR Tolkien eventually hit a wall.

What wall was that for J. R. R. Tolkien?

[tongue-in-cheek] Have you seen his last movie? His writing sucks. What's with that rabbit sled? [/tongue-in-cheek]
Reply Quote
Hear, hear
Reply Quote
/signed

There's approx. 150 signatures here on this alone. While that's hardly a large lump of the community - isn't it enough to elicit a response?

Blizzard, you could EASILY qualm all this anger - over a year of ranting - if you just had the nads to make a formal statement on this: Better yet an open forum about it.

We don't want to whine so much as we want an answer. Why Leah? Why Cain's Death? Why the cookie-cutter story? Why the saturday-morning evils?

Seriously, Count Chocula is more terrifying than Diablo.

"Blah ha ha! Ze Black Soulstone waz joost e ploy to get my delizious chocolately treats!"

On that, here's some suggested Xpac titles - feel free to use them Bliz, I'm sure they'll sell big.

Diablo 3 : Chocopocalypse

Diablo 3 : Curse of The BooBerry

Diablo 3 : Franken-Cain
(Possible Retcon to revive Cain as a deliciously strawberrific part of a balanced breakfast?)

Diablo 3 : The Revenge of Spider Rico
(This one just feels right.)
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 07:48 AMPosted by ScurvyJoe
We don't want to whine so much as we want an answer. Why Leah? Why Cain's Death? Why the cookie-cutter story? Why the saturday-morning evils?

The story is more complex than you might think.

Read up on the Lore, understand it. You'll quickly notice that the story has depth and that Diablo has a master plan.

There is a reason "Why Leah?" and a reason for "Why Cain's Death?"... you just want the answers fed to you in a baby spoon in little bites, and then you'll complain that the story was too easy to see-through.

The answers are there, you just have to figure it out. It might be hard but thats the rewarding part.
Reply Quote
/signed

Embarrassing dialogs
Reply Quote
Diablo III sucked hard, the voice acting sucked, more money was spent on the graphics for the cinematics than the storeline, voice acting and script than put together. Then, there are some MAJOR plot holes, (Even a two year old can figure them out.) And seriously, the storyline is the kind of storyline on par with The Scorpion King (The movie, it sucked.) That's how awful this is.

Also, the biggest problem I have made me laugh really hard, when Adria said that Diablo was Leah's father? That made me laugh really hard, the voice acting on that part, it was almost like Adria could not take it seriously. But the image, Diablo and Adria, having sex. That sure as hell cracked me up. I know that Diablo was possessing the Dark Wanderer at the time of Leah's conception, but really?

But seriously, Diablo III's storyline was written by a three year old, the script was written by ten year-olds, Leah was done by Jennifer Hale (Quite potentially my favorite voice actress) but really? The storyline SUCKED SO HARD.

The gameplay itself was fun, the graphics were cool, but, the ending only rocked because I did not have to deal with the crappy voice acting and lame plot twists (Which there were a few gazillion too many)

Diablo III, sucked.

/signed
Edited by BrassDragon#1911 on 7/31/2013 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I still missed the good 'ol Diablo 1 story. But that was probably because I played it so long ago, and it left me so many questions as to what happened to my character and if Diablo was this bad, how bad were his older brothers? Then I played 2 and all my questions got answered with a few questions for a 3rd one. The 3rd one just felt so expected at every turn and didn't leave me any good plot holes. It honestly felt like the game could end where it did after you kill Diablo. Which left a very salty taste in my mouth because evil could easily do so much more and the world of Sanctuary has much to be discovered.

But on the topic of OP.

I can agree with this. The same influence leaves the same flavor, and it's starting to dilute the wine. I didn't get any surprises in the story like in Diablo II with Baal. Nor did I feel like I was actually going against evil like in Diablo I.

Well I have my own theory on this, the whole reason for the soulstones was to imprison the demons for all eternity otherwise slaying them just sends them to a void for a time, then they ultimately come back. I think killing Diablo is going to turn out to be the worst thing we could have done because now all 7 evils will be set upon the world once again. I could be missing something in this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply Quote
The story and narration for D3 is truly quite lousy.

Any expansion should have either Tathamet be reincarnated or have a different enemy like Lilith.

Diablo coming back all the time is getting quite old and having a feminine Diablo was a bad idea imo that was actually not 100% accepted at first by all of those in Blizzard.
Reply Quote
I still missed the good 'ol Diablo 1 story. But that was probably because I played it so long ago, and it left me so many questions as to what happened to my character and if Diablo was this bad, how bad were his older brothers? Then I played 2 and all my questions got answered with a few questions for a 3rd one. The 3rd one just felt so expected at every turn and didn't leave me any good plot holes. It honestly felt like the game could end where it did after you kill Diablo. Which left a very salty taste in my mouth because evil could easily do so much more and the world of Sanctuary has much to be discovered.

But on the topic of OP.

I can agree with this. The same influence leaves the same flavor, and it's starting to dilute the wine. I didn't get any surprises in the story like in Diablo II with Baal. Nor did I feel like I was actually going against evil like in Diablo I.

Agreed, and well put. Diablo 1 story- Awesome. Diablo 2 story- Great. Diablo 3 story- What the hell just happened to my childhood dream game? Diablo has boobs? Imperius reminds me of the cliche high school jock... Cain is killed by a butterfly villain?

Christ...In all honesty fellas, I just miss Diablo. How did this pitiful attempt at story telling ever pass around the table to begin with. Sad, I would rather it just be scratched and made again.

Signed. +1
Edited by Matheyus#1507 on 8/3/2013 11:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The story would be 100x better if Diablo and Azmodan didn't speak to you ever until you confronted them.
Reply Quote
Diablo's raspy woman voice was the downfall of my interest in the story... well, a decent one. So many to chose from.
Reply Quote
/signed

there are A LOT of things that have been left open and feel unanswered in d3.
Reply Quote
08/04/2013 06:35 PMPosted by DesmondTiny
The story would be 100x better if Diablo and Azmodan didn't speak to you ever until you confronted them.

This.

Diablo in the first 2 games was a character of few words; typically with only 1 liners for an entire series, but when he spoke his words held weight; and scared the crap out of you.

D3 makes Diablo look like a fraternity sister, gathering for her weekend coffee clash so she can blast your ears into oblivion about nonsensical BS.

Simply put, sometimes less is more; Blizzard should have really spent more time trying to capture the feel and immersion of the Diablo universe, and less on plot fillers.
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4211013554

I am not sure if you guys saw this one, it's at the EU forums. But I must say it's sad how funny and true it is.
Edited by MustaKrakish#2745 on 8/12/2013 6:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
/signed

Diablo 3 and WoW have trash dialogue and trash story.

Starcraft was good in my opinion bu very shaky on lots of spots

The previous Diablo's didnt focus on the story as much, they were there but they were dark and more subtle.

D3: We fight Izual after we saved his soul or whatever happened.

Diablo: Now you get to fight your old lieutenant
Izual: Says same thing

Its cheesy garbage that is so out of place....and why was the butcher back? Whoever OK'd Maghda and Cain's death should be fired immediately

This game alsom featured the worst dialogue I have ever seen. I am no critic but I seriously had better dialogue in my elementary school stories.

But Metzen is a big shot...and they got loads of positive feedback on the story(lel) so they say
Reply Quote
Petition posts are frowned upon.

These are discussion forums and, as such, we ask that you hold discussions. Creating a thread to ask for replies as votes is not a discussion. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3074647453
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 8/14/2013 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
/re-signed in response to Reaper of Souls.

I certainly hope you took our advice.

Lord Dreadman
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]