Diablo® III

Open Letter to Chris Metzen

/signed
Reply Quote
This is dumb, I enjoy his stories and felt like D3 was a desent continuation. Serioulsy, this game isn't about story at all its just there to give you a reason to go from point A to B. He isn't trying to write a masterpiece here and noone plays D3 for the story.
Reply Quote
32 Night Elf Druid
Yes, things have gotten bad lately for Blizzard's quality of writing. Using an example, some of you may not have liked WoW, but I at least found the story bearable until about halfway through the Lich King expansion and especially in Cataclysm, when things really just started to drop off. I won't rant about it too much here, but I will say that I was extremely disappointed that they somehow managed to turned Deathwing, an expansion boss who has been highly anticipated for years to be added into the game, into probably one of the most boring and cliche villains of all time just so Thrall could get more screen time.

Honestly, why does this game seem more like it is catering to children, than the typical more mature audience that Diablo was meant for? Where did Blizzard's balls go? More importantly, why is the creepy atmosphere gone and why is the storyline, lore, and cinematics being consistently shoved in the face of the player, almost making you sick on your third or fourth go through it all? And while we're on the subject, I honestly have to ask, were the cheesy one-liners really necessary? I don't even need to list them, as a bunch are mentioned in this thread and forum. Immersion into this game is almost totally gone because of some of these factors...Well that and being forced to play online, but we knew what we were signing up for there, so I can't really complain.

Honestly, Blizzard, I'm not mad, just disappointed, you can do better than this. Please go back to taking chances, and stop trying to please everyone by using bland/safe dialogue and storyline, that's how memorable titles are made (whether great or terrible).

/Signed

-A concerned fan
Edited by Mormat#1787 on 5/31/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Eci
I honestly have to ask, were the cheesy one-liners really necessary?

The Butcher says "Yes".
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
/signed

Take heed, Blizz.
Reply Quote
/signed.
Reply Quote
Somebody or some group of people failed miserably with this story. Was it good enough for a stand alone game backed with great gameplay designed to bring in scores of new customers...yes which is what this game was likely designed to do. Was it anywhere near decent if you re a diablo fan and like the story? It's painfully obvious that the answer is almost a unanimous hell no. If the motivation for this games story is where I think it was (money) witha big ol middle finger to fans then I'd be all for ousting the creative team or whoever was responsible for this travesty
Reply Quote
[quote]
WC3 is where the Horde became more mature, which I think is a welcome change that allowed many new possibilities other than "me Orc, me kill you". In fact, it led to an interesting role reversal: whereas the Orcs turned out to be not all bad

You mean like how in SC2 the overmind was not all that bad, because the zerg were "altered"?
It worked for the orcs but come on blizzard.... The zerg is supposed to be "me zerg, me consume you".

OMG they did it in THAT game TOO!? How cliche and stock can blizzards story formula get? It's just pathetic and lazy. Next diablo game we'll find out not all demons are really bad in fact some of them take human form to live out normal lives and the major twist will be that unbeknownst to you you ARE one of those demons! What a twist!
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 07:53 AMPosted by Providence
noone plays D3 for the story.

I actually bought the game solely because I wanted to see the story. You are wrong

I don't believe you...you are wrong
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/31/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Shingram
OMG they did it in THAT game TOO!? How cliche and stock can blizzards story formula get? It's just pathetic and lazy.

Aside from the fact that the Overmind was still consuming other species and in particular humans in order to continue the zerg. The zerg are not good. The zerg are not 'nice'. The zerg and, thus, the overmind were thinking entirely of its own survival.

The entire motivation for this shift in the overmind was for one reason. It saw no other future but the zerg being used to create the hybrids, then being consumed by said hybrids. The zerg would be dead.

This was simply 'teaming up' in order to beat the bigger bad. Except instead of teaming up, the zerg went on to infest hundreds, if not thousands, of humans in an attempt to create what Kerrigan was.

And in the end Kerrigan, who was free of the the Dark Voice's influence, was still going off of the Overmind's key program. Consume and kill everything.

People oversimplify this so much that they don't even take into account what was said directly to their face.
Reply Quote

You mean like how in SC2 the overmind was not all that bad, because the zerg were "altered"?
It worked for the orcs but come on blizzard.... The zerg is supposed to be "me zerg, me consume you".

OMG they did it in THAT game TOO!? How cliche and stock can blizzards story formula get? It's just pathetic and lazy. Next diablo game we'll find out not all demons are really bad in fact some of them take human form to live out normal lives and the major twist will be that unbeknownst to you you ARE one of those demons! What a twist!

As Melyria pointed out, this is over simplified.

The Overmind wasn't "good" nor was it evil, it merely acted on Natural Programming. According to WOL, this programming was altered for the Dark Voice's purposes.

Now don't get me wrong; I think WOL was a terrible case of "Logic, hao duz werk?" but people really should be a bit more attentive to what was going on.
Reply Quote
OMG they did it in THAT game TOO!? How cliche and stock can blizzards story formula get? It's just pathetic and lazy.

Aside from the fact that the Overmind was still consuming other species and in particular humans in order to continue the zerg. The zerg are not good. The zerg are not 'nice'. The zerg and, thus, the overmind were thinking entirely of its own survival.

The entire motivation for this shift in the overmind was for one reason. It saw no other future but the zerg being used to create the hybrids, then being consumed by said hybrids. The zerg would be dead.

This was simply 'teaming up' in order to beat the bigger bad. Except instead of teaming up, the zerg went on to infest hundreds, if not thousands, of humans in an attempt to create what Kerrigan was.

And in the end Kerrigan, who was free of the the Dark Voice's influence, was still going off of the Overmind's key program. Consume and kill everything.

People oversimplify this so much that they don't even take into account what was said directly to their face.

I should have asked for a confirm. I wish you had said "He's grossly oversimplifying the zerg are definitely still mutilating entire species for their own game that guys just a baby." Instead of all those SPOILERS gawwwwd. Kidding. Im going to prob wait another month of so to get SC2 and see for myself. SC's best days were actually the user generated maps imo. Thats not a shot at blizzard that only makes sense that given multiple years to mess around with the game passionate fans/good programmers were able to come up with some addicting alternative maps in SC1 and it's one of those little things that made SC1 an all time classic. ANyway I assumed SC2 is like that as well so I figure given time a lot of new user generated game types will come out. and that waiting for patches + these new user games will make the SC2 experience so much better initially. Plus I desperately need a new cpu.

Oh and of course the mystery and intrigue in the storyline...hope they did keep that though judging by the part 1 of 3 formula I they are going with SC Im sure they did leave tons of mystery and unanswered questions.
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 5/31/2012 8:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
when i tell someone the story of Diablo... i always get a "why is it you say something and then minutes later change it? ... i thought he was dead, and this guy Cain who died... i am sure a few minutes from now you will tell me he did not die"

all i can say was "... well, theres an expansion pack, so yes... some people are bound to be alive again"
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Shingram
I should have asked for a confirm. I wish you had said "He's grossly oversimplifying the zerg are definitely still mutilating entire species for their own game that guys just a baby."

The story is more convoluted and broken than either party makes it out to be... (spoilers follow)

You are over simplifying it as well. What was said directly to our face is that the Overmind did not have freewill, which meant that it did not have a say in anything. You make it sound like the Overmind is still evil. It is not. The Overmind is no longer a thing that is capable of evil or good, it is just something that follows some script. If a car rolls down a hill, strikes and kills a pedestrian the car is not evil--it is not responsible for that death. If a car rolls down a hill but at the last minute veers into a phone poll and narrowly avoids killing a pedestrian it is not good--it did not save someone's life. The car had no choice in the matter because it is not the sort of thing that can be good or evil. The Overmind, lacking freewill, is now the same. It was programed to destroy the Protoss; it can no more make decisions contrary to that directive than the car can make decisions about how it rolls down the hill. They are both just following some predetermined laws. This retcon turned the Overmind character into a mere plot device like gravity. The Overmind is not responsible for any deaths because it was acting on programming. This also has no internal consistently since it opens a plot hole you could drive a Mothership through in the form of the the Overmind has no freewill, except for the freewill required to create Kerrigan. Additionally, the Overmind is portrayed as a sympathetic character in WoL. It "rages in the prison of its own mind". This kind of slave character helpless to watch itself destroy things is tragic. The entire premise that the Overmind for one moment throws off the chains of oppression to sacrifice itself for the good of its people is a hero's storyline. The one decision that we know that the Overmind actually made (to create Kerrigan to free the Zerg) is actually a morally just decision.

Any attempt to claim that the Overmind is good OR evil through the majority of the events of SC is an oversimplification because without freewill the Overmind is no longer the type of thing that is capable of making good or evil choices. The one choice we know it makes is heroic in nature, suggesting that the character is meant to be taken as good.
Edited by ATROPOS#1914 on 5/31/2012 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]