Diablo® III

Open Letter to Chris Metzen

Sadly, I don't felt anymore the awesome environment that Chris used to create in Blizzard games.
I no longer feel that epic sensation in the lore. :(

/signed
Edited by Schwarzer#1870 on 5/31/2012 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
/signed

Rule of Cool only worked for me when I was six.
Reply Quote
yea the part about the manuals was what hooked me as a kid. i read them like storybooks
they even went as far as to make up lore explanations for most of the spells in game, even in d2
this !@#$ is a re-hash of stuff we already know, azmodan just %^-*ing invades for no reason and then diablo gets born...wtf blizz
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Merk
The original Orcs were goofy retards with simplistic, borderlines juvenile motives and funny voices.

see you didnt read the manuals about gul'dan, sargeras's influence and the move from and ultimate destruction of their homeworld....go back to wow your kind killed this company
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 06:12 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
I hated Diablo 2's story, aka "Where in Sanctuary is Carmen San Diablo" narrated by a random senile hobo.

I didn't even play D2 and think this quote is funny as hell.
Edited by Gatelttab#1911 on 5/31/2012 10:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yea the part about the manuals was what hooked me as a kid. i read them like storybooks
they even went as far as to make up lore explanations for most of the spells in game

Game manuals were one of my favorite things to read back in my console gaming days. I still read them, and in fact read both the SC2 and D3 ones. Good times. It was a sad day when game companies stopped putting effort into them. That makes me sound like a nostalgic dbag who bemoans a lost age of gaming though, which I'm not. I like old games, I like new games. I just want a manual to read on the toilet or before I go to sleep :)
Reply Quote
Hell, Diablo 2's grimdarkness was ruined by Diablo 3 being a saturday morning cartoon.

Diablo 2's ending led to LOD, which led to the worldstone being destroyed which implied that humanity might be screwed.

Never mind, here's the Diablo 3 Justice Leag- Nephalem, here to stop the Prime Evil because humans are kickass and far superior to both the heavens and the hells!
Edited by David#1839 on 5/31/2012 11:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I enjoy the respectul but honest tone of the letter.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Thrawn
I enjoy his stories and felt like D3 was a desent continuation.

its actual more a repeat. so basically your saying you dont want the game industry to elevate itself to an artform you just want to keep things the way they are....dont buy heavy rain
Reply Quote
Sorry, Chris, but they're all right.

I bought this game for the story, and, while I mostly enjoyed it on first play-through (obvious twists and all), fridge-logic and repeated play-throughs have progressed my experience to disappointment and frustration.

Good luck to you.

/signed

Lord Dreadman
Reply Quote
/signed

This is probably the best thread on the Story Forum now.
Reply Quote
/signed

All darkness and horror gone, only skittles remained.
Reply Quote
I miss Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
they even went as far as to make up lore explanations for most of the spells in game

Game manuals were one of my favorite things to read back in my console gaming days. I still read them, and in fact read both the SC2 and D3 ones. Good times. It was a sad day when game companies stopped putting effort into them. That makes me sound like a nostalgic dbag who bemoans a lost age of gaming though, which I'm not. I like old games, I like new games. I just want a manual to read on the toilet or before I go to sleep :)

It was part of the entertainment/experience and you're right to miss them and be aggravated with companies for not including that effort anymore. Lack of effort is never a good thing from a franchise you've put so much into.

Hell, Diablo 2's grimdarkness was ruined by Diablo 3 being a saturday morning cartoon.

Diablo 2's ending led to LOD, which led to the worldstone being destroyed which implied that humanity might be screwed.

Never mind, here's the Diablo 3 Justice Leag- Nephalem, here to stop the Prime Evil because humans are kickass and far superior to both the heavens and the hells!

It really did become a comic book superhero/ Sat morning cartoon and most already established fans clearly feel pissed off about it. I dont demand apologies for stupid stories or endings like people did with the mass effect debacle but if I'm right about the motivation for the Diablo name being attached to this game then it'll continue to show in this company's work and eventually no more blizzard because they have had an intelligent loyal fanbase. They'd do well to not keep slapping them in the face with insanely long development cycles followed by bug after bug, general idiocy and piss poor creative decisions.

That said this game ruins nothing about D1 or 2 in my eyes. This is just a standalone gaming experience in my eyes it's an awful diablo experience based on the story but as a general loot n slash game it's very well done. If even half of the effort devoted to the gameplkay had been put into continuity and story fans would have universal praise for this as many well done games have had in the past
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 6/1/2012 12:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
-no terror in the lord of terror

-unapealing character leading the story (leah)

-waste of a fan favorite apealing character (cain)

- Bad itemization

- did not follow throught with the "every built is possible " promise

storywise i just wish diablo 3 was remade or retconed, erased from the diablo lore
entirely

/signed
sometimes its time to step down and let newblood pump new life into things
it fells like you quit making art and taking chances
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You are over simplifying it as well. What was said directly to our face is that the Overmind did not have freewill, which meant that it did not have a say in anything. You make it sound like the Overmind is still evil. It is not. The Overmind is no longer a thing that is capable of evil or good, it is just something that follows some script

Er, the Overmind was never evil. How do you affix evil or good to animals? The Zerg, even in SC and SC:BW was not evil. The overmind was fulfilling its purpose, its instincts. It was trying to become perfect, to evolve and consume.

Do you call a bunch of roaches who invade your home evil? What about the wolf who killed your brother? Or the bacteria that kill hundreds each year?

Any attempt to claim that the Overmind is good OR evil through the majority of the events of SC is an oversimplification because without freewill the Overmind is no longer the type of thing that is capable of making good or evil choices. The one choice we know it makes is heroic in nature, suggesting that the character is meant to be taken as good.

Heroic how? The Overmind is the 'Will of the Swarm'. It always has been. The swarm and the overmind are one, they feed off one another. Without its 'arms' the Overmind ceases to be, without the Overmind, the swarm becomes docile and dies.

What the Overmind did was killed itself so that the Zerg would survive. There is nothing 'heroic' about that in a sense, not for humanity, not for the protoss. And the Zerg don't have a concept of heroism. What the Overmind did was preserve the swarm, the one thing it was tasked to do by the original creators.

This was no different than a singular ant 'queen' sacrificing itself to make sure it and all its hive would survive. Because there was a backup 'queen'.

You seem to forget that if the Overmind was capable of enough freedom to kill itself, it obviously had enough free will to drive Kerrigan toward certain goals. Did the Overmind sit Kerrigan down and tell her "Okay, so DON'T kill the Protoss and Humans. DON'T rampage across the world and start another war."? No. It instilled Kerrigan with the will of the swarm, the uncorrupted, untainted drive that the Overmind had.

It instilled in her the same desire to consume, destroy and evolve. To further the swarm, without question, and to be the perfect entity. Everything Kerrigan did, all the hundreds of thousands of deaths that took place during SC:BW and then the hundreds of thousands that happened in SC2, was a result of the zerg's instincts, the Overmind's drive put into Kerrigan's head.

The only reason the Overmind did anything, aside from the Dark Voice's tampering, was to further the swarm. Kerrigan only allied with people to make sure the swarm came out on top or survived. The Overmind's death was only called heroic by Tassadar, which from a Protoss view (To sacrifice one's self for the good of an entire 'people') is heroic.

But heroism means nothing to the Zerg. It means as much to the swarm as it does to a hive of bees.
Reply Quote
What seems obvious to me is that they had all the graphical content first (concept art, etc)
Then they decided something in the lines of "every act will be exactly the same as diablo II, with a few twists". Once you have all these requirements, any garbage written in 5 minutes will do.
I see it like that because the whole thing feels (at best, and maybe it's intentional?) like a beat 'em up of the 80's with its big badass bosses that come out of nowhere for no reason.

To be fair though, some of the templar and sellers lines are good enough to be quoted and enjoyed 1 000 000 times - but at that point it sounds like an accident or something that went unnoticed from "creative direction"…

Not that Diablo II was so much superior story-wise, but there was a strong atmosphere (very NOT-cartoon networkish) and a non-intrusive plot, that felt (for the best) almost disconnected from gameplay. more freedom, actually.
Edited by Hagalaz#2963 on 6/16/2012 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
/signed

I have played Diablo 2 on and off since its release and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that the story telling is subpar. I don't usually post on forums, but I had to for this thread.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 06:32 AMPosted by Melyria
You are over simplifying it as well. What was said directly to our face is that the Overmind did not have freewill, which meant that it did not have a say in anything. You make it sound like the Overmind is still evil. It is not. The Overmind is no longer a thing that is capable of evil or good, it is just something that follows some script

Er, the Overmind was never evil. How do you affix evil or good to animals? The Zerg, even in SC and SC:BW was not evil. The overmind was fulfilling its purpose, its instincts. It was trying to become perfect, to evolve and consume.

Do you call a bunch of roaches who invade your home evil? What about the wolf who killed your brother? Or the bacteria that kill hundreds each year?

Any attempt to claim that the Overmind is good OR evil through the majority of the events of SC is an oversimplification because without freewill the Overmind is no longer the type of thing that is capable of making good or evil choices. The one choice we know it makes is heroic in nature, suggesting that the character is meant to be taken as good.

Heroic how? The Overmind is the 'Will of the Swarm'. It always has been. The swarm and the overmind are one, they feed off one another. Without its 'arms' the Overmind ceases to be, without the Overmind, the swarm becomes docile and dies.

What the Overmind did was killed itself so that the Zerg would survive. There is nothing 'heroic' about that in a sense, not for humanity, not for the protoss. And the Zerg don't have a concept of heroism. What the Overmind did was preserve the swarm, the one thing it was tasked to do by the original creators.

This was no different than a singular ant 'queen' sacrificing itself to make sure it and all its hive would survive. Because there was a backup 'queen'.

You seem to forget that if the Overmind was capable of enough freedom to kill itself, it obviously had enough free will to drive Kerrigan toward certain goals. Did the Overmind sit Kerrigan down and tell her "Okay, so DON'T kill the Protoss and Humans. DON'T rampage across the world and start another war."? No. It instilled Kerrigan with the will of the swarm, the uncorrupted, untainted drive that the Overmind had.

It instilled in her the same desire to consume, destroy and evolve. To further the swarm, without question, and to be the perfect entity. Everything Kerrigan did, all the hundreds of thousands of deaths that took place during SC:BW and then the hundreds of thousands that happened in SC2, was a result of the zerg's instincts, the Overmind's drive put into Kerrigan's head.

The only reason the Overmind did anything, aside from the Dark Voice's tampering, was to further the swarm. Kerrigan only allied with people to make sure the swarm came out on top or survived. The Overmind's death was only called heroic by Tassadar, which from a Protoss view (To sacrifice one's self for the good of an entire 'people') is heroic.

But heroism means nothing to the Zerg. It means as much to the swarm as it does to a hive of bees.

The zerg are evil the way the borg were evil. Get over it melyria either marry chris metzen or learn to agree to disagree.

Hitler was trying to make a better race too.. does that not make him evil? (the answer is yes because he was a genocidal maniac. Not misunderstood.) Sorry how you think and act does make you evil. The overmind was evil. You can't retcon it like they did and call it good.
Edited by Zoul#1415 on 6/17/2012 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
/signed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]