Diablo® III

Open Letter to Chris Metzen

Zoul,

You have completely ignored previous posts about what makes good and evil possible. You must have the ability to choose between them. You used Hitler as an example of your position; He had the ability to choose to use his charisma and leadership qualities to make Germany an enlightened nation. He did not do so, instead he used them to create an economic, military, and technological boom to further his own ends and kill all those whose cultures didn't fit in, thus he is evil.

The Overmind however, had no choice. In the games it was made clear that after the rebellion of the Protoss against them, the Xel'Naga created the Zerg to obey ONLY the Overmind, and chose to not directly involve themselves with it. These programmed traits make it so they cannot be evil or good only tools. The Overmind itself had to obey the drives installed in it when it was created. I would not be surprised to find out that the only reason the Overmind became aware of the Xel'Naga in the first place was due to the "Dark Voice" tampering with it in order to start the creation of the hybrids. Kerrigan was an unexpected gift for the Overmind. Her psychic abilities were more along the lines of the Protoss which were based on the opposite ideals as perceived by the Xel'Naga (purity of form vs purity of will).

I have played Blizzard games since Warcraft. I have enjoyed all of them thoroughly and as a fairly intelligent consumer I realize that once you get a successful series going you can cash in on it year after year game after game without needing improvement.

So unless y'all can waltz into Blizzard Headquarters, get a job and create as successful of series as Chris has; you really have no room to talk. Just stop playing, take your money elsewhere, and let those of us who realize that the almighty $ drives this world enjoy a game.
Reply Quote
74 Undead Mage
heh heh diablo 2 fans thinking the story was good.
Reply Quote

-unapealing character leading the story (leah)

Really? Why is that?
Edited by Gelious#2426 on 6/17/2012 6:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/17/2012 03:29 AMPosted by Kaleliar
So unless y'all can waltz into Blizzard Headquarters, get a job and create as successful of series as Chris has;

Chris did not write for diablo 1 or 2.

This shows how little you actually care or know about the series.

Please go back to playing WoW and being spoon fed bad stories.

Also chris metzen only co created the starcraft 1 plot. The other writer was James Phinney. Who wrote for both the starcraft series and diablo series. He must have been a much better writer because the stories in those games and the original warcraft games were not garbage.

Listen I am sorry you wasted a lot of money on collectors edition but don't paint bad stories as good to justify your purchase. It doesn't work. I own starcraft collectors editor. The starcraft story is not as good as the original. Chris metzen is the new george lucas.

You also completely ignored my points entirely. Maybe you are scared to address.

Also if you go back and play the starcraft games the goal was not to destroy the protoss. That was a retcon. It was to merge with them and be perfect.

http://youtu.be/g0ZJrDjvu5I

"The Overmind: My children, the hour of our victory is at hand. For upon this world of Aiur shall we incorporate the strongest known species into our fold. Then shall we be the greatest of creation's children. We shall be... Perfect. "

now please make an argument that he is trying to be honorable? not good or bad? His goal was perfection to create the perfect life form. He was not "programed" by an evil force. If he was that evil force was the misguided Xel Naga.
Edited by Zoul#1415 on 6/17/2012 8:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/17/2012 06:01 AMPosted by Zong

The diablo II story was not great. I am not making that argument. Compared to the Diablo 3 story its Shakespeare though. The D3 story is so random and pieced together it makes no sense. It is completely irrelevant.

Example: Magda has the sword but then leaves it behind for Deckcard Cain to reassemble? Wtf? She had the sword. Take it and tyrael and then you have both. Its right freaking next to her is the cinematic. What kind of bad villain are you.
Edited by Zoul#1415 on 6/17/2012 9:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/17/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Zoul

The diablo II story was not great. I am not making that argument. Compared to the Diablo 3 story its Shakespeare though. The D3 story is so random and pieced together it makes no sense. It is completely irrelevant.

Example: Magda has the sword but then leaves it behind for Deckcard Cain to reassemble? Wtf? She had the sword. Take it and tyrael and then you have both. Its right freaking next to her is the cinematic. What kind of bad villain are you.

Why were the cultists killing/corrupting the Stranger after you kill the Butcher? Why take him just to turn or kill him?

Answer: It was not about the sword, per say. Belial wanted Tyrael out of the picture.
Reply Quote
Answer: It was not about the sword, per say. Belial wanted Tyrael out of the picture.

Wow your arguments are so lazy. She had the sword not 2 inches from her. Yeah lets just leave it in the hands of the guy who can assemble it?

Also is the sword was Tyraels why not hide the pieces scattered everywhere or cast them out into the depths of hell?

Also your whole argument that the sword is not important, completely defeats the purpose of getting the sword. If the sword is not important, why did she try to get it in the first place? Was she bored?
Reply Quote
74 Undead Mage
The diablo II story was not great. I am not making that argument. Compared to the Diablo 3 story its Shakespeare though.

if u srsly think marius' whining is considrd "Shakespeare" then i declare that u have bad taste in stories.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Also your whole argument that the sword is not important, completely defeats the purpose of getting the sword. If the sword is not important, why did she try to get it in the first place? Was she bored?

No sword, no memories, no Tyrael. Made simpler if she can just kill Tyrael or corrupt him, bypassing the sword in the first place.

Consider: Why did she take Tyrael, only to corrupt or kill him inside Leoric's manor?
Reply Quote
06/17/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Zong
if u srsly think marius' whining is considrd "Shakespeare" then i declare that u have bad taste in stories.

Go back and read what I typed.

The diablo II story was not great. I am not making that argument. Compared to the Diablo 3 story its Shakespeare though

No the answer is no.

Tell me when you learn how to read.
Reply Quote
/signed

...but I have to say this...

Chris Metzen didn't write Diablo 1/2, he didn't write WC 1 or 2, and he didn't write SC 1. He -participated- in the development of the lore (or modification thereof) for WC 1 and 2, and SC 1.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was originally Warhammer: Orcs and Humans. When Games Workshop decided they didn't want their frachise "tainted" by computer gaming, Blizzard had to change the game enough to not infringe on GW's IP. Blizzard changed some names, modified the plot slightly and packaged it as original material. Later Blizzard expanded and diverged the plot lines, while still using the Warhammer lore base, and created Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness. Orcs were still the same smash all creatures in Warhammer, and the humans were still the knight/warrior priest (paladin) light worshipers in Warhammer. Chris Metzen played a role in modifying the Warhammer lore to be different enough to avoid legal action. He also drew the artwork in the game manual.

Starcraft started as a project for GW's IP, Warhammer 40k. Some legal stuff fell through, development ran long and GW didn't like the C&C style single unit control scheme that Blizzard brought forward from WC. In short, GW pulled the IP from Blizzard and awarded it to Relic who released Warhammer 40k. Blizzard, with a partially completed project, went ahead with it calling it Starcraft. They took Warhammer 40k lore (which is -VERY- extensive and meticulously maintained) and modified it to a point in which they though they were safe from legal action. They wern't. After release of Starcraft, Blizzard was sued for IP infrigement by GW. Their argument was that the Zerg (Tyrannids), Terrans (Space Marines) and Protoss (Eldar) were direct infringment on their IP, and that Blizzard was using the work done under contract for Warhammer 40k for their own project. This was markedly different from the Warcraft issues since Humans and Orcs are common High Fantasy themes and can arguably be derived from the same source (Tolken). Chris Metzen had a role in modifying the lore to make it presumably immune from legal action. He also drew the artwork in the game manual.

Diablo was aquired through the merging of a design studio into Blizzard. The project was nearing completion and Blizzard could provide the publishing and distribution assets to complete the project. Shortly after merging and the subsequent release of Diablo, which was a resounding success, management issues arose, personalities collided at Blizzard, and the Diablo development team wanted their own space, hence the formation of Blizzard North, whos sole project was Diablo 2. After the release of Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, the Blizzard North team left (nearly all of them in fact) to form a new game design studio called Flagship Studios who premire release was Hellgate: London. Hellgate: London had alot of the same themes as Diablo with a steam punk type of twist to it. However Hellgate: London failed, and Flagship with their Diablo style MMO project, went under. The developers of Diablo later formed a new company called Runic Games that released Torchlight, in the exact same fashion as Diablo 1. Chris Metzen drew some of the art work used in the game manuals.

In short, Chris Metzen is not the original author for pretty much -ANY- of the Blizzard IP's. In fact, the only games in which he has been significant source of lore and writing were WC 3, WoW, SC 2, Diablo 3, which not surprisingly are game in which the fan base has the most problems with.

My point is that Chris Metzen should be left to do what he does best, draw. Leave the development of the actual story lines to real writers, namely the people who wrote the originals, and leave your petty squabbles at home. You are not god, shut up, sit down.
Edited by Covered#1591 on 6/18/2012 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
I found the cinematics to be great, but the dialogue and story and characters by and large were horrible.

Blizzard just seems to have lost all sense of nuance or subtlety in their antagonists. Period.

It really does seem like they're pulling a George Lucas and there's no one around to give them honest criticism of their stories... how did lines like "Adria! When did you decide to betray us?!" and Azmodan's constant giving away of his strategies, despite supposedly being the Master Strategist of Hell, pass the first draft?

*sighs*
Reply Quote
I found the cinematics to be great, but the dialogue and story and characters by and large were horrible.

Blizzard just seems to have lost all sense of nuance or subtlety in their antagonists. Period.

It really does seem like they're pulling a George Lucas and there's no one around to give them honest criticism of their stories... how did lines like "Adria! When did you decide to betray us?!" and Azmodan's constant giving away of his strategies, despite supposedly being the Master Strategist of Hell, pass the first draft?

*sighs*

Agreed.
Reply Quote
/signed
/applaud
/kneel
/w [Blizzard Entertainment]: Can you quit with the extensive downtime on these server shutdowns?
Reply Quote
An okay story. Baaaad storytelling.
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
Bottom line is this:

Chris Metzen has given up all pretenses of giving a !@#$. Blizzard doesn't do enough IP quality control so any idiot with a novel contract can %^-* on all the lore. Chris Metzen doesn't give two craps about his stories anymore. No one at Blizzard is willing to stand up to Metzen and tell him his !@#$ stinks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]