Diablo® III

Open Letter to Chris Metzen

diablo 3's story was not as ridiculously cheesy/cliched as starcraft 2's...

starcraft 2 lacked any sort of focus or character development, and every character was cookie cutter

No kidding bro. At least Deckard Cain or Tyrael had more personality than either Jim Raynor (From B.A. hero in SC1 to a bland, drunk feel-sorry-fo-himself coward in SC2) or Tychus (just yuck) ever had.

What a joke. I sincerely hope the staff is reading and compiling user comments. Some of us have been playing since the mid nineties and I for one have seen quality diminish just these past 7-8 years. Diablo 3 was the game that really *proved* this to me and now, now I know I'll need to be a little more careful and a little less trusting in the future.

I'm going to wait a good 3-4 months for the full story to come out of HotS and for the hype to die down before committing to it. The vetting process is much needed since I can no longer simply assume that these games are going to be any good.

For example: There's a reason I drove to Best Buy at nine in the morning the day The Frozen Throne came out (because I assumed it would be good and it turned out I was right). But now? Now I'll wait for the review process from the gaming community at large and if it turns out the story line of HotS is just as lacking as WoL was then I'm not even going to bother.
Edited by Carta#1272 on 8/13/2012 9:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
diablo 3's story was not as ridiculously cheesy/cliched as starcraft 2's...

starcraft 2 lacked any sort of focus or character development, and every character was cookie cutter

No kidding bro. At least Deckard Cain or Tyrael had more personality than either Jim Raynor (From B.A. hero in SC1 to a bland, drunk feel-sorry-fo-himself coward in SC2) or Tychus (just yuck) ever had.

What a joke. I sincerely hope the staff is reading and compiling user comments. Some of us have been playing since the mid nineties and I for one have seen quality diminish just these past 7-8 years. Diablo 3 was the game that really *proved* this to me and now, now I know I'll need to be a little more careful and a little less trusting in the future.

I'm going to wait a good 3-4 months for the full story to come out of HotS and for the hype to die down before committing to it. The vetting process is much needed since I can no longer simply assume that these games are going to be any good.

For example: There's a reason I drove to Best Buy at nine in the morning the day The Frozen Throne came out (because I assumed it would be good and it turned out I was right). But now? Now I'll wait for the review process from the gaming community at large and if it turns out the story line of HotS is just as lacking as WoL was then I'm not even going to bother.

So true. Though, for some reason it wasn't really that big of a deal in the SC2 community... but I noticed it. At least the D3 community notices the issues with D3's story, so I hope our feedback will be heard.

I'm currently not even interested in pursuing HotS, and I have a Youtube channel for SC2 editing with over a million views (they made a very good editor, but I just can't do it anymore with the way Bnet is/was, never mind the story). I wish it were different ><
Edited by Onetwo#1132 on 8/14/2012 2:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
08/14/2012 01:58 AMPosted by Onetwo
So true. Though, for some reason it wasn't really that big of a deal in the SC2 community... but I noticed it. At least the D3 community notices the issues with D3's story, so I hope our feedback will be heard.

SC2's "community" is saying the exact opposite about D3's "community".

Grass is always greener on the other side.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 8/16/2012 11:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the story of Diablo 3 was good. I don't see any other ways the story could have evolved, and I ultimately like the idea of the ultimate Evil reborn.
But the story was good as Aliens 4's story was good. And by good I mean with a lot of potential but oh god- poorly executed.

I have to say, I'm rather pleased with the gameplay part. It's not perfect and lacks a whole bit of customisation. But it's fine. Now thing is that you have to do the story to play the game. It feels like you are prisonner to this story that is put down your throat over and over. The story, albeit terribly executed, wouldn't be as much of a problem if the game felt more open and less story-driven. I mean, having to go half of the act I with this mary sue character really made me loose immersion. Now I left the game several months ago because of these reasons, and I think they'll not be adressed as the game is built in this direction. Shame.

As for Starcraft 2, story is terrible. It has some good idea (less than D3 thought) but it is, again, terribly presented. *Spoiler* Big sigh at the "we have a chance to save kerrigan" moment.*Spoiler*
However, the gameplay part is really compelling, made me play the campaign 4 times already, which is much more than I replay most games.
SC lore is a bit lost to me but I'm still looking forward the campaigns for the compelling gameplay.

Sooooo /signed (even thought Chris didnt have that much part in the creations of the IP.)
Edited by Yaos#1313 on 8/17/2012 10:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I know you guys are invested in these games but if you want good stories, Blizzard's games are really NOT the ones you should be looking out for. Personally, I never thought any of Blizzard's games had good stories, so I was never disappointed.

Generally-speaking, Bioware's the developer that's known for its great stories -- I will never forget the wonderful storyline of Baldur's Gate and its expansions -- and not enough can be said about how good the Mass Effect series was (post expanded ending for ME3, that is).

Heck, even the Metal Gear series had better stories...
Reply Quote
The story (more so the execution/presentation/delivery of the story) of D3 is so pathetic its almost laughable. It goes without saying that D3 is not a horror/dark fantasy game (which, BTW, is stated in Wikipedia...someone needs to edit that).

I still dream of a different D3 storyline, one in which we fight Diablo in Sanctuary itself. The atmosphere?? Its night-time and there is a thunderstorm going on. We are on the Tristram burial grounds... horrific shadowy entities go back and forth on the screen... sounds of the dead and the dying fill the air (the speakers more like) around us.. sounds taken directly from the files in the D1 game.

"Not even Death can save you from me." With a bit of clever processing, this would sound so freaking brilliant amidst all the chaos.

I can't express the entire mood in words, its so awesome. I'm sure many of you here would've had the same (or similar) thoughts. But alas, the mess that is D3 is laughable to say the least.

I hope the expansion will change some of this, but I don't expect it. That's the sad truth.
No matter how much Blizzard goes on about delivering quality products and so forth, behind the veil exists only a well-oiled money-making machine.
Reply Quote
/signed
Although i loved WC3's story (I was 15 or something when i played it), I do agree that Diablo 3's story is extremely predictable and childish, and it has lost all it's dark and gothic feel that it had in diablo 1/2.
Reply Quote
/signed

My favorite storylines were WC3 and Diablo II. Diablo III's isn't even shades below, it isn't even a cheap knockoff, it is just utterly bad in every way.
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
I know you guys are invested in these games but if you want good stories, Blizzard's games are really NOT the ones you should be looking out for. Personally, I never thought any of Blizzard's games had good stories, so I was never disappointed.

Generally-speaking, Bioware's the developer that's known for its great stories -- I will never forget the wonderful storyline of Baldur's Gate and its expansions -- and not enough can be said about how good the Mass Effect series was (post expanded ending for ME3, that is).

I can agree with that. I played the entire BG series a few times and the ME series once, but probably will again. BG1 was an EPIC 6 CD game, where you could go anywhere and do whatever you wanted. BG2+expo was very well done storyline wise and graphically. I wish they'd make more, it doesn't even have to be called Baldur's Gate or be set in the Forgotten Realms, but should be on the same caliber of game (Not Neverwinter Nights or Ice Wind Dale, which were meh).
Reply Quote
Maybe I'm special or something, but I thought both W3 RoC and FT were 2 of the best Blizzard games, story wise to date. Yeah, some cheezy stuff in there too, but not nearly as bad as even the most recent WoW stuff. Everything is a pun or some play on something else. It gets old fast.

Diablo 3 was in a world of its own with the dialogue. The original batman TV series had better dialogue than this. And we all know just had bad it was.

Starcraft and Brood wars were pretty cool too.
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
/signed

Story execution and tone of the game is mockery to a true Diablo fan. It was written for children, totally dumbed down, cartoon villains and obviousness.

Many of you probably won't agree, but for me story is half of what makes the game. Previous Diablo games were great at this aspect, when you played you just wanted to know what will you do next, it kept you engaged, it was consistent and kept in a tone of this dark, gritty and mysterious world, that you just wanted to belong to, you wanted to fight the evil and your character wasn't cheesy or belonging to this whole powerful Nephalem race. You didn't knew so many things, just Butcher charged at you with his axe, screaming "Fresh meat!" or Diablo with his only line "Not even death can save you from me" engaged your imagination. In D3 not only everything has its introduction, but the lines of villains make you wonder about their intelligence and after the game you just think how stupid the characters were made.
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
The story in both Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 is not up to par with the story in the prequels
Reply Quote

Yeah but then you're stuck playing a console port unless you have an Xbox. I had a bad enough experience with Assassin's Creed for PC so that's the end of playing console ports for me.
Reply Quote
Sorry guys, but I disagree. The stories for both SC2 and D3 were great. Gameplay and graphics were great too. I have no idea how so many people can bash two of the best pc games out there. In SC2, the only flaw was the mission where you deal with the infected colonists on New Haven, since the whole scenario is different depending on your choice. If you side with the doctor lady, the colonists are all healthy, and if you side with the Protoss, they're all infected and overrun. Aside from that, SC2 was great. The only thing that I would have changed about D3 would be to give healing powers to the witch doctor, since they're supposed to be healers.

I think that the problem for Diablo and Starcraft fans is that, since so many years have passed since SC1 and D2, we all built up stories in our minds as to what the next games would be. Since the actual stories of the sequels didn't perfectly match up to the stories that we built up in our heads all these years, some of us might be disappointed. The new stories will solidify over time.
Edited by Starblazer#1223 on 8/27/2012 3:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 01:31 AMPosted by Scorch
Even Stephen King and JRR Tolkien eventually hit a wall.

What wall was that for J. R. R. Tolkien?

Death
Reply Quote
/Signed
Reply Quote
/signed

08/27/2012 02:57 AMPosted by Starblazer
I think that the problem for Diablo and Starcraft fans is that, since so many years have passed since SC1 and D2, we all built up stories in our minds as to what the next games would be. Since the actual stories of the sequels didn't perfectly match up to the stories that we built up in our heads all these years, some of us might be disappointed. The new stories will solidify over time.

No. Just no.

The reason I don't like the plot is that the master of lies can't lie.
It's that the master strategist tells me that he has just breached the walls – giving me time to fight him. That he doesn't care that I systematically shut him down. Like a chess grand master who doesn't care that you remove piece by piece from the board, yelling "You can't win!!!" at you constantly.

I hate it that Diablo has time to talk to me every 5 minutes to tell me that I can't do X and then I just do X. ("You can't destroy the oculus" – a defenseless thing – hit it, it's dead).
I hate it that in the epic boss battle, Diablo and the hero pause for a minute so Diablo can scream at you. Can't he taunt while he fights? That may have added some flavor.

I could go on for hours, but nobody (from Blizzard at least) cares anyway.

People say that Diablo 2's lore was bad too.
That's not true. You may say that there wasn't a lot of lore, at least in the game (everyone must agree that at least there were huge plot holes).
But that was fine – the game was dark and mysterious. You were scared, you were surprised.
Your reaction the first time you met Andariel? Duriel? Scared of them (damage-wise), even on Normal difficulty?
Those who don't like games with dark atmosphere, go play any other crappy game out there. D3 is now one of them.

If Blizz at least cut out the telepathic Diablo/Azmodan scenes and the better part of Magda's appearances, it would help a lot. Less bile to swallow every time I play through.
Edited by EnCey#2528 on 8/27/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]