Diablo® III

Why does my damage go up when I add a shield?

85 Orc Hunter
How do the shields work in diablo 3? It doesn't make sense that my damage goes up when I equip a shield...
Reply Quote
If your shield raises your dexterity, then your damage will go up. (For monks)
Reply Quote
Your attacks alternate which weapon they use, and dual wielding only increases your attack speed by 15%. Given a shield and a weapon with identical stats, it will be better to use the shield if the weapon damage is not separated by more than 15%. EG, if you have a 100 DPS weapon, a shield and an 84 DPS weapon and none of the weapons had any additional stats, it would be higher damage to use the 100 DPS weapon and the shield.

If, instead, the weapon had 86 DPS, it would be slightly more damage to dual wield.

Note that this ignores the benefit from spirit generation due to a higher attack speed from dual wielding. This is especially noticeable when using, say, Crippling Wave or Deadly Reach.
Edited by Orcheon#1671 on 5/24/2012 11:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]