Diablo® III

Guide to break into Inferno as a fresh 60

So I've seen alot of complaints about inferno, I didn't believe them at first. Then I got facerolled on my barbarian when I entered Act1. I cannot speak for beyond Act1, but I have just cleared Act1 a few times on solo and with friends. This guide is meant more as a "Dummys book", this is in no way intended to help you beyond Act 2 (I'm still figuring that out).

Here is my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WXYkRV!VXc!caZcbc
I am a 1h+Shield barbarian.

So this is what you need to do

1) Check your vital stats
These are what you should aspire to if you want to have "moderate difficulty" in Inferno, anything beyond these, and you should be able to own Act1 with no problems. Elemental resistance is KEY!

DPS: 8-10K unbuffed is more than enough. I beat Act1 with 8k unbuffed, with my fury+berserker build, that DPS soars to 10K
Raw HP: IMO, you need this to be at least 30K or your pool simply won't be large enough. If your HP is below 25K, you will be getting facerolled. Consider dropping your DPS to get vitality
Armor: Damage reduction should be at least 65%
Resistances: Do not blame anyone but yourself until all of them are at least 30%, switch your warcry to the resistance rune too if you need aid.

I am only half geared, and this is what I have
DPS: 8000 (10K in combat)
HP: 33K unbuffed
Armor: 70% reduction
I have a shield with 20% block
Resistances: Average 45%-50% unbuffed to elemental, 50% to physical unbuffed

2) Check out the AH for items
If your stats have a huge discrepancy from at least 30% elemental resistance, consider the auction house. Go look for items that have vitality and "All resistance" in the filter, DPS is second if you can achieve 10K dps. A typical glove/shoulder/etc goes for 50K with Strength/vitality/All Resistance

3) Tweak your build.
No one's gameplay suits anyone else exactly, you may have to do adjustments.

4) Be realistic
The above includes learning how to fight in inferno . Sadly, gone are the days where you can litterally stand in one position ALL the time and just fight. I am at the point where I can tank some blue mobs and stand in desecration, but until your gear is there, you need to learn to melee kite. That includes stunning+putting in DPS+then running.

5) Solo at first and use your mercenary
A 4 player inferno game for a batch of fresh 60's is MURDER. Yes, this is essentially poor game design. I played the game with friends and unfortunately we had to split into groups of 2's or even 1's until we mustered our gear to do 4 player games. Finally, use your mercenary! I love the enchantress simply cause of her attack speed aura. You don't need to use her but I find she's the most useful.

6) Have faith and do not be discouraged
I see too many people giving up too fast or too easily. I'm sorry but you need to suck it up. This isn't WoW and this isn't console game. Diablo is unforgiving and Blizzard has created something to truly challenge the players. If players had act4 on farm status within the first week, I would've seen that as a failure. People fail to realize that this is the essence of Diablo at play, GEAR CHECKS. This is a dungeon crawler for crying out loud, if you want to go through dungeons, die and "learn" from your mistakes - go play Dark souls. This is Diablo. I've played the franchise since day 1, and I'm really glad the days of waiting for a Sorc to tele to Hell Baal are gone. Or stupid cow level runs, people just leeched and ran around with no effort yet obtained loot. That's boring IMO.

Quick tips:
a) Do not bother to farm Hell. Nothing in hell drops that is a level 60 item as far as I have seen
b) Do not do dank cellar/Captain Dalytn runs
c) Go farm the Crypts in the cementary for the blue mobs/Jar/Woman (EASY LOOT)
d) DO auction house pieces of equipment that you need
e) DO NOT obsess over your DPS, if you cannot survive, there is no point

Commentary on my build
Yes I realize there is no 2min cool down skills, but they're not needed. I've cleared everything in Act1 reliably and sometimes with 0 deaths using this build.
I essentially leap into combat and then wait a few seconds until my armor buff is down, I then proceed to stun and continue to DPS. I pop ignore pain when I really need Life leech/Damage mitigation. I bind my right click to my leap, yes, leap. This is your bread and butter, as a barbarian we need to get in/out with no problems. This has saved my life many times and so far, the only viable way to beat Arcane Jailor Waller Fast mobs.

While observing the fight when encountering blue/yellows, you need to keep in mind of your situation at all times.

Is there mobs around me?
    What sort of modifiers does the mob have?
    Is there arcane laser/ice balls forming under me?
    Is there any doors or pathways I can exploit to create choke points?
    Where is my escape route?
    Are there any additional mobs in play that could ruin the fight? (i.e. the Oak Ents in Act1 that cast acid)

Farming Technique
Jar of souls event or the Ghost lady in Crypts (Cementary) Act1
Just run in and check all the crypts for the jar or the lady. When you finish the event (ignore the mobs for the Ghost lady), you get a decent amount of loot. I've obtained 700+ DPS rare 1h's from this and sold em on the AH for over 750K. This is your prime source for farming if you cannot afford things on the AH (but seriously, you should have accumulated at least 400-500K of gold by 60 even with aggressive crafting)

Last words: Good luck. If you follow all of the above and put in a decent 24 hours of game time, you should be clearing Act1 inferno no problem. The changes you will see should be dramatic.
Edited by coldcuts#1289 on 5/25/2012 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I see you put a lot of work into your thread; however, unfortunantly I believe you mean Hell and not inferno.
Reply Quote
75 Troll Mage
So I've seen alot of complaints about inferno, I didn't believe them at first. Then I got facerolled on my barbarian when I entered Act1. I cannot speak for beyond Act1, but I have just cleared Act1 a few times on solo and with friends. This guide is meant more as a "Dummys book", this is in no way intended to help you beyond Act 2 (I'm still figuring that out).

Here is my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WXYkRV!VXc!caZcbc
I am a 1h+Shield barbarian.

So this is what you need to do

1) Check your vital stats
These are what you should aspire to if you want to have "moderate difficulty" in Inferno, anything beyond these, and you should be able to own Act1 with no problems. Elemental resistance is KEY!

DPS: 8-10K unbuffed is more than enough. I beat Act1 with 8k unbuffed, with my fury+berserker build, that DPS soars to 10K
Raw HP: IMO, you need this to be at least 30K or your pool simply won't be large enough. If your DPS is below 25K, you will be getting facerolled. Consider dropping your DPS to get vitality
Armor: Damage reduction should be at least 65%
Resistances: Do not blame anyone but yourself until all of them are at least 30%, switch your warcry to the resistance rune too if you need aid.

I am only half geared, and this is what I have
DPS: 8000 (10K in combat)
Vitality: 33K unbuffed
Armor: 70% reduction
Resistances: Average 45%-50% unbuffed to elemental, 30% to physical

2) Check out the AH for items
If your stats have a huge discrepancy from at least 30% elemental resistance, consider the auction house. Go look for items that have vitality and "All resistance" in the filter, DPS is second if you can achieve 10K dps. A typical glove/shoulder/etc goes for 50K with Strength/vitality/All Resistance

3) Tweak your build.
No one's gameplay suits anyone else exactly, you may have to do adjustments.

4) Be realistic
The above includes learning how to fight in inferno . Sadly, gone are the days where you can litterally stand in one position ALL the time and just fight. I am at the point where I can tank some blue mobs and stand in desecration, but until your gear is there, you need to learn to melee kite. That includes stunning+putting in DPS+then running.

5) Solo at first and use your mercenary
A 4 player inferno game for a batch of fresh 50's is MURDER. Yes, this is essentially poor game design. I played the game with friends and unfortunately we had to split into groups of 2's or even 1's until we mustered our gear to do 4 player games. Finally, use your mercenary! I love the enchantress simply cause of her attack speed aura. You don't need to use her but I find she's the most useful.

6) Have faith and do not be discouraged
I see too many people giving up too fast or too easily. I'm sorry but you need to suck it up. This isn't WoW and this isn't console game. Diablo is unforgiving and Blizzard has created something to truly challenge the players. If players had act4 on farm status within the first week, I would've seen that as a failure. People fail to realize that this is the essence of Diablo at play, GEAR CHECKS. This is a dungeon crawler for crying out loud, if you want to go through dungeons, die and "learn" from your mistakes - go play Dark souls. This is Diablo. I've played the franchise since day 1, and I'm really glad the days of waiting for a Sorc to tele to Hell Baal are gone. Or stupid cow level runs, people just leeched and ran around with no effort yet obtained loot. That's boring IMO.

Quick tips:
a) Do not bother to farm Hell. Nothing in hell drops that is a level 60 item as far as I have seen
b) Do not do dank cellar/Captain Dalytn runs
c) Go farm the Crypts in the cementary for the blue mobs/Jar/Woman (EASY LOOT)
d) DO auction house pieces of equipment that you need
e) DO NOT obsess over your DPS, if you cannot survive, there is no point

Commentary on my build
Yes I realize there is no 2min cool down skills, but they're not needed. I've cleared everything in Act1 reliably and sometimes with 0 deaths using this build.
I essentially leap into combat and then wait a few seconds until my armor buff is down, I then proceed to stun and continue to DPS. I pop ignore pain when I really need Life leech/Damage mitigation. I bind my right click to my leap, yes, leap. This is your bread and butter, as a barbarian we need to get in/out with no problems. This has saved my life many times and so far, the only viable way to beat Arcane Jailor Waller Fast mobs.

While observing the fight when encountering blue/yellows, you need to keep in mind of your situation at all times.

Is there mobs around me?
    What sort of modifiers does the mob have?
    Is there arcane laser/ice balls forming under me?
    Is there any doors or pathways I can exploit to create choke points?
    Where is my escape route?
    Are there any additional mobs in play that could ruin the fight? (i.e. the Oak Ents in Act1 that cast acid)

Farming technique: Jar of souls event or the Ghost lady in Crypts (Cementary) Act1
Just run in and check all the crypts for the jar or the lady. When you finish the event (ignore the mobs for the Ghost lady), you get a decent amount of loot. I've obtained 700+ DPS rare 1h's from this and sold em on the AH for over 750K.

Last words: Good luck. If you follow all of the above and put in a decent 24 hours of game time, you should be clearing Act1 inferno no problem. The changes you will see should be dramatic.

My guide to break into inferno as a fresh 50:

YOU CAN'T
Reply Quote
Good guide, lots of mispells, like writing DPS instead of HP and lvl 50 instead of 60, but it's good.
Reply Quote
Wrong stats for inferno and impossible at lvl 50.
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 08:56 AMPosted by Puhhy
I see you put a lot of work into your thread; however, unfortunantly I believe you mean Hell and not inferno.

I apologize to all the spelling/grammar naytzee's, I didn't realize I put in 50 lol (I played too much SWTOR).

Oh no I really do mean 60 and I really do mean Inferno. It is possible to break into Act1 inferno as a barb, you just need to scour the AH abit and farm the jar/ghost. How are my stats wrong? I'm holding my ground in fields of misery and doing Halls of Agony MF runs now.

*Shrug*
Edited by coldcuts#1289 on 5/25/2012 9:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
05/25/2012 09:36 AMPosted by coldcuts

Oh no I really do mean 60 and I really do mean Inferno. It is possible to break into Act1 inferno as a barb, you just need to scour the AH abit and farm the jar/ghost. How are my stats wrong? I'm holding my ground in fields of misery and doing Halls of Agony MF runs now.
*Shrug*

I do between 20k and 25k damage as a barb, my sorc buddy does more. We can't down butcher, as he enrages at 25% even if I never leave his side. While we could be doing something wrong, I don't see how you're soloing him and the packs before him with 10k dps.

Also I think you mean 33k HP, not vitality.
Reply Quote
No one has problems/complaining with Act 1. Act 1 is do-able with barbs as long as you have gear that costs 2x+ as much as the gear wizards do/DHs do/ And I don't give a damn about "gear checks" if barbs have to spend far more on gear than wizards just to perform 1/2 of the efficient as wizards and demon hunters.
Reply Quote
I agree with just about everything that was said. Although I'm not sure you can kill the butcher with just 8 K dps and none of the 2 min cooldown skills. I go with WOTB as I think it's one of the best ways to dish out a ton of damage against the champion mobs.

Great post though and we need more helpful posts like this as opposed to "BARBS SUCK" Blizzard help a;kfjsl;dkj;
Reply Quote

*Shrug*

I do between 20k and 25k damage as a barb, my sorc buddy does more. We can't down butcher, as he enrages at 25% even if I never leave his side. While we could be doing something wrong, I don't see how you're soloing him and the packs before him with 10k dps.

If you and your sorc buddy both do 20K DPS, then I think something is wrong. 10K DPS is enough to kill stuff in Act2 (granted that you are not hit) in a 1 player game. You should really try playing the butcher in a solo game, I'm sure you'll own him.

Also, I am on the butcher 99% of the time. I simply dodge his telegraphed slam and quickly leap to him so I am ALWAYS on his fat butt DPS'ing.
Edited by coldcuts#1289 on 5/25/2012 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with just about everything that was said. Although I'm not sure you can kill the butcher with just 8 K dps and none of the 2 min cooldown skills. I go with WOTB as I think it's one of the best ways to dish out a ton of damage against the champion mobs.

Great post though and we need more helpful posts like this as opposed to "BARBS SUCK" Blizzard help a;kfjsl;dkj;

While I agree with WOTB's ability to DPS, having Leap+Stomp+revenge+Stop pain with 20% Life leech is just too great IMO. This way I do not have to die and burden repair costs, also you can pop stop pain in numerous situations - you'd be amazed at what it can do. Right now I have no problems tanking any blue/yellow mobs in the halls of agony unless it is Invulnerable Minion+Shielding - to me - that is just a waste of time.
Leap to obviously get out of arcane laser/dodge ice or run away.
Reply Quote
These stats are perfectly fine to take on Inferno, I started with much worse, all I did was dance back from some attacks (the most effective damage reduction) and take it a little slow at first... Not to mention Act 1 doesn't get harder though the difficulties...
Reply Quote
do between 20k and 25k damage as a barb, my sorc buddy does more. We can't down butcher, as he enrages at 25% even if I never leave his side. While we could be doing something wrong, I don't see how you're soloing him and the packs before him with 10k dps.

Hmmm. . . I killed Inferno Butcher in under two minutes with my barb. . . I can kill champ mobs in act 2 as well. Maybe you guys should get some gear with not so much damage, but with res and what not. O I am a 2h barb with 15k damage.
Reply Quote
I use standard beefy Inferno build (Frenzy/Leap/War Cry/Furious Charge/Revenge/Ignore Pain) and I have 0 problem taking down Butcher before he enrages with my enormous 8K-9K DPS. Barbs don't suck, their play style is just counter intuitive to the gameplay of Inferno.

When the Butcher goes mad and lights every tile on fire, that's your cue to drop Ignore Pain and your fiends cue to drop Diamond Skin, with your huge DPS's you should be able to drop him before you die. You might need to use those healing shrines if you can't handle the damage though. Although not being able to beat the Butcher is probably just a troll...
Reply Quote
I just tried your build with the exception of ignore pain which i swapped out for a dreadnought charge and am really liking it. I tried a lot of different builds in inferno and alot of them were either not able to fight some/most of the champion packs, or some were just plain slow and gimpy due to waiting for cooldowns... However, this spec is just awesome!! Seriously this spec has no downtime!! Also i was was worried about a lack of DPS, but the maniac rune + berserker rage passive increases damage significantly. Thank you for sharing this it made my act 1 farm much easier!

People who are doubting it should really consider giving it a try. Works great for people like me who cant afford the insane gear on the AH. Btw i'm running slightly less than his recommended stats and just completed my first completely SOLO act 1 with just one death (jailed into an arcane trap). I have completed it multiple times previously grouped with my buds as i was unable to do it solo without difficulty. This just made it easy. <3 OP
Reply Quote
I just tried your build with the exception of ignore pain which i swapped out for a dreadnought charge and am really liking it. I tried a lot of different builds in inferno and alot of them were either not able to fight some/most of the champion packs, or some were just plain slow and gimpy due to waiting for cooldowns... However, this spec is just awesome!! Seriously this spec has no downtime!! Also i was was worried about a lack of DPS, but the maniac rune + berserker rage passive increases damage significantly. Thank you for sharing this it made my act 1 farm much easier!

People who are doubting it should really consider giving it a try. Works great for people like me who cant afford the insane gear on the AH. Btw i'm running slightly less than his recommended stats and just completed my first completely SOLO act 1 with just one death (jailed into an arcane trap). I have completed it multiple times previously grouped with my buds as i was unable to do it solo without difficulty. This just made it easy. <3 OP

Glad someone actually tried my build, happy to hear you clear A1. :)
And yes, this build doesn't require insane amounts of gold to make it workable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]