Diablo® III

After playing build ideas were useless

So after playing since launch I've found that all the time I spent playing with the character builder was all for not.

I crunched numbers, weight and counter balanced, I theory crafted and at the end of the day I thought I knew what I was talking about... nope.

The biggest thing I learned was once you reach higher levels and start facing tougher enemies you can really get away with murder using Hungering arrow.

Sure it bounces, sure it has good DPS, but the biggest thing is that it shoots around corners. I mean, how did I not figure this out before!

I haven't been hit in hours of game play. Vault twice away and shoot in the general direction and your going to connect. Hide around a corner and blast away at stationary targets.

Now that I have spike trap I just set them down and shoot from 40+ yards away, the mobs don't even move towards me untill I start shooting them. Great fun.

Also I was suprised by chakrams! Once you get twin chakrams large groups just melt!

Hope your all having as much fun with this game and this class as I am.
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Priest
bingo. took me about 2 sec to realize this and caltrops is stupid op fun.

butt at the same time entangle onto a caltrop with chakram is pretty lolzy too
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Yeah, it's really funny. Trying to figure out max dps builds was useless due to the nature of the game and situational nature of encounters. I think most of the more experienced (or just less naive) players knew this...hence so many of the posted builds being completely awful.
Reply Quote
I no longer laugh at dual chakrams.
Reply Quote
For the primary skills, anything but hungering arrow looks like poo. I realized in the beta that you don't even have to aim, just fire wildly and things die.

As for chakram, I'm still on the fence about that or rapid fire. Really like rapid fire and it mows down groups but the aoe damage of chakram might sway my decision.
Reply Quote
Well of course.

15%, or 20% + DPS is nothing. It's basically just an extra 15 dexterity - big whoop.

But you can't get the defensive passive skill effects from stats. This was always the best argument in favor of the passives other than archery/steady aim/cull, and I was surprised to see it rarely mentioned.
Edited by Leliana#1393 on 5/15/2012 10:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Priest
05/15/2012 10:02 PMPosted by DrKnow
Really like rapid fire and it mows down groups but the aoe damage of chakram might sway my decision.

rapid fire in an aoe situation just doesnt pack the raw dps like chakrams do. I really wish it did since its a really fun talent, but sadly no dice
Reply Quote

rapid fire in an aoe situation just doesnt pack the raw dps like chakrams do. I really wish it did since its a really fun talent, but sadly no dice

I tried it out in beta(didn't have the double chakram buff then) and didn't like the wonky nature of targeting it. With the double chakram buff, does that eliminate some of the gaps and hard targeting of it?
Reply Quote
I think that just about everybody underestimated how much they'd have to adapt to different types of encounters.

It's pretty evident now that strictly looking at dps isn't going to make for a great build.
Reply Quote

I tried it out in beta(didn't have the double chakram buff then) and didn't like the wonky nature of targeting it. With the double chakram buff, does that eliminate some of the gaps and hard targeting of it?

It pretty much tears that "gap" a new one.
Reply Quote
@OP- SERIOUSLY. lol. I spent a lot of time on the skill calculator and on DH forum coming up with optimal build. After playing for a couple hours my idea of what is best has changed.

Gonna have to try out that double Chakram... been using Rapid Fire w good results.
Edited by VermilionHue#1564 on 5/15/2012 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Rapid Fire isn't actually an AoE skill. It's just a single target skill that allows you to split the damage up among multiple targets very efficiently. It shines against siingle targets because it's quite high DPS.

So I kept using it after I got real AoE skills. With the hatred cost reduction rune I find it better than Impale for most tough enemies unless they're threatening enough that I want to stun them. But if I don't need to stun them, then I want the more cost efficient Rapid Fire to deal with their massive health pool.

I don't see another skill replacing Rapid Fire for that role.
Reply Quote
Cant beat opening a door and unloading chakrams into the room.

Then walk by and collect loot.
Reply Quote
I think the 2 biggest things that we've realized that we didnt before the game was out are: How SS is greater than vault and how good twin chakram/ball lightning are.
Reply Quote
I also dislike Fan of Knives. The damage is good but the area is too small for me. The slow carries no value because I'm able to spam slows from other skills.
Reply Quote
Spike trap is my happiest surprise so far. I can drop three in quick succession at good ranges for insane damage. It can sometimes go a little bit around corners, it seems to work really well against wallers, and you can plan them ahead of time to finish scripted events as soon as they start.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]