Diablo® III

What graphics card for my laptop?

Hey everyone,

I know this has been asked a lot lately but I haven't seem to find a thread that matches my needs. So I want to be able to actually PLAY D3 on my laptop instead of watching my screen stutter along on the lowest settings.

Here is my current configuration and I am looking to get a new graphics card to help it run better. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dell Studio 1558 Laptop
ATI Radeon HD 5470 Graphics Card
4gb RAM
Intel i7 processor

I feel like I should be able to run it with my current set up, as nothing is a total buzz kill spec wise, so I have to chock it up to my Radon HD 5470 which has been giving me some problems from the get-go.

I don't need the BEST card, just one that I will actually be able to enjoy for games/movies.

Thanks guys!
- John
Reply Quote
Well, looking more into my setup, it appears my graphics card isn't upgradeable... looks like I just got a !@#$ty $60 paperweight with a cool box.

Have fun playing Diablo all you lucky people with capable machines. I thought I bought the most expensive hardware for my laptop so I wouldn't have to worry about these issues. Guess I'll learn from my mistake.

Damn you Blizzard for making a game that half the people who want to can't even play...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
One thing to take note of sick is that laptops are hardly ever upgrade able and if you want a good gaming computer then you were better off spending that money on a desktop. I am not sure how much you spent for that laptop but any graphics chip in a laptop isn't going to be as good as even a $100 discrete graphics card for a desktop. Assuming that you got a top of the line gaming laptop you probably spent over $1000 on it. With that money you could've gotten a medium grade gaming pc that would have the possiblilty of being upgraded.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, looking more into my setup, it appears my graphics card isn't upgradeable... looks like I just got a !@#$ty $60 paperweight with a cool box.

Have fun playing Diablo all you lucky people with capable machines. I thought I bought the most expensive hardware for my laptop so I wouldn't have to worry about these issues. Guess I'll learn from my mistake.

Damn you Blizzard for making a game that half the people who want to can't even play...

So you made a wrong decision and bought a bad machine (because your computer is nowhere near being the "best" hardware), and somehow that's Blizzard's fault?

Blizzard's games are also far more accessible than other company's 3D games. Ever try running Battlefield 3 on a laptop like yours?
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 07:27 AMPosted by Kalganized
Blizzard's games are also far more accessible than other company's 3D games. Ever try running Battlefield 3 on a laptop like yours?

This. You bought a Dell (one issue right there) Laptop with a three generations old midrange graphics card. At least your CPU is good. Honestly though SC2, D3, and WoW (I hear I dont play) are easly amung the most accessible games for PC right now. Blizzard goes out of thier way to make various graphics setting and even max settings usable for a wide variety of PC Configurations. It's not Blizzards fault you didnt do your research.

Also I dare you to compare D3 on Max settings to other dark fantasy RPG's like Skyrim, The Witcher, or The Witcher 2, those are games that demand powerful hardware not Diablo 3...

Also one more thing, if you want uniform gaming get one of the consoles they have lots of advantages such as always being able to play of course you never get the graphics of a PC. For the record I'm also a console gamer I have both a PS3 and 360.
Edited by Moridin#1903 on 5/16/2012 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

So you made a wrong decision and bought a bad machine (because your computer is nowhere near being the "best" hardware), and somehow that's Blizzard's fault?

Well, it was the best hardware for every option on the damn computer when it was a "build it yourself" 4 years ago. I didn't buy the computer to be a gaming laptop, I got it to be a very capable work laptop capable of running the most highly intensive construction programs, but I had assumed that with the "best" options for Graphics card, processor, memory, screen, that it would at least be able to RUN a game like this.

And ya Moridin, I have a PS3 and love it, but there is no Diablo for that console... If they had one, I definitely would have gotten it for ps3, because I know my computer isn't a top notch gaming laptop.

But with that said, I have played many games on it, Call of Duty, Diablo 2, Starcraft, and they all worked fine on medium settings. I can't even really walk around a boss in Diablo 3 on the LOWEST settings. I have a hard time believing my computer is the LOWEST quality computer you can get...

I guess I am just way more disappointed with the quality of this Graphics Card than anything else. I know Blizzard wanted to make a very unique and exhilarating experience with Diablo 3, I just wish they had made the minimum requirements not so high...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HD 5470 Mobility is one of the weakest dedicated graphics card in the HD 5000 mobility series, FYI. And 99% of laptop out there can't have the graphics card upgradeable. You have to buy specific laptops in order to be able to do that.

Considering that, it certainly wasn't the best option. :/

And Diablo 2 and original StarCraft? These are 2D games. Call of Duty? Which one? Old ones are based on modified Quake 3 engine -- a game engine made in early 2000s. Current ones are STILL based on it, although much more modified.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
any1 got suggestion on graphics card to get for running WOW, D3 N STarcraft 2 smoothly??
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
For PC
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You have to tell us what computer you have right now
Reply Quote
One second. Got a question for the OP (ssick92). Did you even try to lower your game's display resolution at all?
Edited by Fork#1369 on 6/9/2012 1:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
They are starting to make laptops that have upgradeable video cards...but they are still few and far between. The upgradeable ones have what is called an MXM slot. You just get an MXM video card, pop it in, and go. This obviously doesn't help you right now, but it's something to keep in mind for the future when you do get a better laptop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MXM
Edited by Saerydoth#1867 on 6/9/2012 3:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
alright guys, I hate to burst the bubble of ragging on the guy who cant run D3, Go do what I did, i got a sony vaio vpceb35fx with intel hd gfx. Here is your solution http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

A external gfx card for laptops. blow a couple hundred dollars and it will last you and be well worth it.

Option 2. go blow more then a couple hundred and walk out with a build your own laptop and put a i5 processor, 6gb ddr3 ram, and a nvidia 650m. (All you really need for gaming) You can put better stuff in there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]