Diablo® III

D3 Single Player

Why is everyone calling this a single player game? It's not, it is clearly a multiplayer game, and you have the option of playing it alone. Complaining about lag in D3 is like complaining about lag in wow when you're out questing alone.
Reply Quote
You may not have heard of two previous games: Diablo and Diablo 2, both of which had a dedicated, offline, lag-free single player game with an online multiplayer mode. Hence, the expectation of a similar setup with Diablo 3.
Edited by longdescent#1805 on 5/17/2012 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
this is not D1 and D2 it is D3 a single player game with co-op
Reply Quote
I cant remember where, but iv seen bliz personnel referring to D3 as a single player game too. Think it was one of those interview before launch.......
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 08:00 PMPosted by longdescent
You may not have heard of two previous games: Diablo and Diablo 2, both of which had a dedicated, offline, lag-free single player game with an online multiplayer mode. Hence, the expectation of a similar setup with Diablo 3.

This isn't really relevant. Just because a previous version of some software has a feature, doesn't mean following versions will have that. Sure, you can expect that all you want, but that doesn't give you any right to it what-so-ever. I used to be able to boot my PC into pure DOS when Windows was installed, now I can't. But surely I would expect to be able to, I mean, previous versions let me.

05/17/2012 08:14 PMPosted by seansky
I cant remember where, but iv seen bliz personnel referring to D3 as a single player game too. Think it was one of those interview before launch.......

I would love to see this quote. I'm not trying to be smart or trolling here, if you have evidence that they refer to it as a single-player game with multiplayer added on, and not the other way around, I will gladly change my point of view.
Reply Quote
the fact you can play it alone is pretty much evidence in its self with a story line and all for each character.

To be honest its 50/50
Edited by Bertross#6933 on 5/17/2012 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Cham
Why is everyone calling this a single player game? It's not, it is clearly a multiplayer game, and you have the option of playing it alone. Complaining about lag in D3 is like complaining about lag in wow when you're out questing alone.

correct its more like C&C 4 a single/co-op campian with a useless chat window, and forced always online DRM to prevent "hacking" and screwing over the RMAH and the GAH, more likely the RMAH that blizz draws a cut from.
Reply Quote
what i like about it being online all the time is if i see a mate online and he is needing better loot i can invite him to my game and swap over some gear and then continue on :)

not only that but i dont have to worry about local save files when i do fresh OS installs.

Its kinds of how Battlefield 3 works with its online system for stats.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Hashinshin
Terrible comparison. Lag is expected with WoW; not with a game requiring immediate reaction timing as well as constant maneuvering.

Ok, so how about playing Counter Strike with bots on an American server then? That would be exactly the same, yes? Now, with Counter Strike you have the option to run a server of your own much closer to home, to reduce your lag issues. But on the flip side, Valve does not supply any servers at all for you to use.

and people call it a single player game because that is the only option with ANZ latency and even then it's horrid.

No, people call it a single player game because they want to be able to run the game entirely on their computer, without using any external servers at all. Sadly for them, that was not how the game was designed.

and saying Diablo's predecessors, two games that released in working order without the need to connect online aren't "really relevant" when it's most likely what brought majority of people to this game in the first place is just retarded.

I agree, most people are coming to D3 because they liked D1 and D2 before it. However, the world is full of !@#$ty sequels. With how much information, including the ability to play the game before release, there's really no excuse to base your purchase decision on "I like the first 2" alone. If I watch Batman and Batman Returns, and like them, will I then expect to like Batman Forever and Batman & Robin? Probably yes. Should I completely ignore any information about them and watch them, then be upset that they're terrible? No, I should not.

Another terrible comparison; why the !@#$ would you want to boot into DOS? Get a %^-*ing dosbox. Having a working OS is apparently a curse now.

Ok then, why can't I have offline WoW? Is that a good comparison? If you say "no, because wow is designed to be played on servers" well then, so is D3?
Reply Quote

I would love to see this quote. I'm not trying to be smart or trolling here, if you have evidence that they refer to it as a single-player game with multiplayer added on, and not the other way around, I will gladly change my point of view.

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2662371

AG: I know that in StarCraft 2, a lot of the development was focused around multiplayer - a lot of the game design and the development being done was on multiplayer first. Is that something that you guys do with Diablo as well, or is a bit more focused on the single-player or a bit of a mix?

Jay: For us it's a little bit more focused on the singleplayer, it's not quite the same [as StarCraft]. I've played RTS' before and I've seen people do it both ways and I seem to prefer the method where you work on multiplayer first, because you're really establishing the core game mechanics.

For us, a lot of the core game has actually come out of singleplayer, but what we've done along the way, is we've always had cooperative play enabled. So people play cooperatively all the time. Any time anything does work for cooperative play we fix it right away. So any mechanics that don't work, any kind of balancing or tuning that needs to be done, we try to do it simultaneously for both – but we do focus on single-player more.

A bit vague :).
Edited by Klaw#1741 on 5/18/2012 3:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
coming from a wow only player your view is invalid...

now for me I played both online games and offline games, console and PC.
and especially the prior series to diablo (one and two).

The greatest thing about diablo was your ability to run around and kill things without this terrible thing called "lag"... in all seriousness i would choose to have A.I.D.S. over lag.

so the answer to your stupid comment and one sided comment is...

OFFLINE IS THE GREATEST

ONLINE IS A.I.D.S. (in this case)
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Cham

I don't get what you're saying here, it seems contradictory to me.

You're saying:
a) This is a multiplayer game, and
b) The lag in this multiplayer game doesn't matter so we shouldn't complain? oO

Or are you saying that when playing it in the single player mode, the lag doesn't matter?

Frankly, I suspect I disagree with you regardless of what you're getting at.

Lag is lag. Single or multiplayer, if you have to dodge a server side generated effect (e.g. a fireball coming at you), then lag matters. The higher the difficulty, the higher the penalty for failing & the more lag punishes you.

If you can't tell the difference between 50ms latency and 350ms latency, that's fine - I suspect half of the US/EU/Asia players can't either - but to say there is no difference is just fundamentally demonstrably wrong in a "the world seems flat to me, so it must be flat" sorta way..

I absolutely don't want to be gimped by internet hardware limitations in a single player, but frankly I don't want to be gimped by internet hardware limitations in a multiplayer scenario either.

To me the issue is that Bliz claims to support AU/NZ, but in reality they don't. They just sell the game here - they don't provide localised network servers & that's what real support requires. That's the support all the other regions get.

Therefore Bliz should stop kidding around and either give up on the claim to actively support AU/NZ, or else provide the support they give every other official region.
Edited by pache#6883 on 5/18/2012 5:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]