Diablo® III

9600M GT 512/9400M 256 = 3fps every 5 seconds

*UPDATE 3* - Well last night I ended up having to resort back to my settings below. The 1.0.2b patch did not seem to resolve the issue for me and it looks like many others as well.
I did see an improvement in overall frame rates. I'd say average increase of 10 fps. But it still drops down to unplayable levels.
I still see the problem is when the game client is calling for data on the drive it drops frame rate. So the external drive I have flashes when active and that is when the fps drops. Once it stops flashing the game runs as normal. It happens much more when you have 3 other players playing with you. I had to go to 800x600 last night just to keep from dying when fighting monsters. My system isn't exactly low end either. Oh well maybe they will keep working on it. Until then I will use the settings below.

*UPDATE 2* - I have been getting good results with everything listed below AND running the game off of my external HDD. The HDD is using a FW800 cable. I have tried it on 3 different brands of drives and all the same result. So with everything listed below AND on an external HDD I have been able to play the game at a "playable" state. Also I am running on
OS X 10.7.4
(NOTE) All the external drives are 7200rpm drives.
-------------------
*UPDATE* - I hadn't been on the forum lately but I wanted to update something else I tried that seemed to make a performance gain as well. This was something I found on the forums that somebody else had posted and seemed to give that person better performance as well.
I went into Library>Application Support>Blizzard>Diablo III folder and opened up the file called D3Prefs.txt (only file I have in that folder) with text edit. I navigated down to the listing that read
DisableTrilinearFiltering "0"
I changed 0 to 1 and saved. I have been able to play the game now for a couple of days without the issue stated below. It's still not great performance but it is much better. It will ONLY do this with these settings though.

Display = Fullscreen
Resolution = 1280x800 (My native resolution is 1440x900)
Letterbox = unchecked
Verticle Synce = Checked
Max Foreground FPS = Checked and set to exactly 50
Max Background FPS = Checked and set to exactly 1
Texture Quality = Low
Shadow Quality = Off
Physics = Low
Clutter Density = Off
Anti-Aliasing = Unchecked
Low FX = Checked
Nothing else running in background (No iShowU HD like mentioned below).
Having an internet browser open in the background seems to slow performance down also.
Oh and a reboot after changes.

Also a greater performance with the game running off of my external HDD over firewire 800.

With this I get around 30 fps steady but still drops every now and then. I played like this pretty solid for several hours without the drop in fps every 5 seconds. But as soon as I change anything above... it happens again. Very weird.

-----------------------

I have the GeForce 9600M GT 512 / 9400M 256 chipset in my macbook pro but NEVER use my 9400M card unless I'm on the road. So I use the 9600M GT 512 to play Diablo 3 yet I still have the drop in frame rates. I get on average 40 fps with everything set to low or medium. So every 3-5 seconds the game drops to about 3-8 fps. Sometimes it plays fine but 90% of the time it doesn't. I have even transfered the game over to my high performance external video editing drives (raid 0) over FW800 to see if that made a difference. I get better performance overall but it still drops to 3-8 fps.

So something I have noticed. When it is on my external I can see my drive working. Every time the drive kicks in is when the drop in frame rates appear. It blinks, the game drops to 3fps. It does that for about 2 seconds then goes back to 40 fps.

Another thing I noticed is I tried something somebody on another forum tried. He said he had frapps going in the background and it increased his frame rate greatly. So I opened up iShowU HD (like frapps) and there was a change for sure. The frame rate jumped from 40 to about 60 sometimes 150 fps but then it would drop down to 11-18 fps every 5 seconds or so just like before. So there is a performance gain for sure but it still is unplayable sometimes. Sometimes it just drops down to 20 fps every 5 seconds and does this for a half hour or so. But when I hit a new environment it goes back to 3-11.

One other thing I noticed. If I start the game, log in, then go straight to a game it starts everything above right away. But IF I log in and wait for a minute I see the drive is still working. When I wait for the drive to stop blinking for a minute and enter a game I usually get about 30 minutes of play without all that mess above.

So I am not sure it is just the 9400M since I don't ever use that. Maybe the game is forcing the 9400M when it opens? Don't know. But I can clearly see it is something to do with the app pulling content from the game files and slowing performance down by watching the drive. Hope this helps. Would love to see this repaired. Thanks!

My specs

GeForce 9600M GT 512 / 9400M 256
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
Macbook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2009
Edited by BurningCrow#1907 on 6/7/2012 6:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
All we can do on our end is try to rule things out. Just hope somebody at Blizz is able to see the light through all this fog.
Reply Quote
I have the exact same problem using the 9600M GT - drops to around 5fps every few seconds making the game unplayable. Sometimes the game will run fine for a while, but then the issue starts re-occurring. It happens regardless of my graphics options settings (i've tried everything from the lowest to highest).

My setup:

Macbook Pro 17-inch early 2009, Lion 10.7.3, 2.66Ghz C2D, 8GB RAM
GeForce 9600M GT 512MB / 9400M

Oddly the game seems to play OK if I have my my MacBook plugged into my external 23" Cinema Display and use the external as the main display, but only if the MacBook's lid is open! If I close the lid (clamshell mode) and use just the external display then the problem re-occurs exactly as above. I can't work this one out at all... it's incredibly frustrating.
Reply Quote
I've got the same problems. Hopefully Blizzard will fix this soon...
Reply Quote
Further to my post above, this afternoon I installed a Windows 7 BootCamp partition and Diablo III runs on there at a consistent and very playable 35+ fps at the native 1920x1200 resolution with settings on low/medium and shadows off - no ongoing, recurring slowdowns after a few hours of playing.

Just for the record, while in OS X, I did have the 9600M GT activated in Energy Saver, so it's not simply a case of Windows defaulting to the discrete graphics rather than the integrated 9400M. There's clearly issues with the OS X implementation, but I think that's been established already.
Edited by Boognish#2354 on 5/19/2012 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OP is 10x more helpful and informative and transparent then blizzard. Thank you OP for DOING SOMETHING.
Edited by BillMurray#1103 on 5/19/2012 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Same exact computer, same exact problems.
Reply Quote
Good post, OP. I have a nearly identical setup to you and the same problem. It has continued to get worse as I've played (and so I keep coming back here to see if there are any developments...).

I soldiered on to Act III and had to give up because my FPS has dropped to 5-6 and stayed there, both in dungeons and in town. :(

Interesting about the HDD access syncing up with the stuttering. When it first started happening to me, I thought 'geez, this looks like I'm out of memory and I'm getting horrible latency from callbacks to disk'. Thing was, the Diablo.app wasn't using that much (~400 MB, I think) and there was still lots of free RAM. And I'm pretty sure, short of loading textures/geometries from disk to GPU memory (which should only happen once per object type, usually on loading a level), there is no reason for video effects to trigger disk access...

There's no way the 9600M GT should perform this poorly... clearly something is bugged. Maybe the Mac Nvidia drivers, maybe Blizzard goofed, maybe Apple, even.

Maybe I'll have to go down the Bootcamp route if this can't get resolved soon...
Reply Quote
I have a late 2008 MBP with the same dual graphics card setup and I can't get any sort of consistent performance. I hope it gets resolved, because I really don't want to have to buy Windows 7 to get a decent frame rate.
Reply Quote
Yup, same for me!
I also noticed, that it does not occur when using a seperate display...
Reply Quote
Same mac - same problems :(
Edited by Ranch#2215 on 5/20/2012 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'll have this information sent up to the team for investigation. I know that they are working on implementing some additional optimizations for the Mac client, but I'd like to make sure this is investigated. as well.

This is small step for me, but big step for humanity. Or something like that...
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Machkhan
I'll have this information sent up to the team for investigation. I know that they are working on implementing some additional optimizations for the Mac client, but I'd like to make sure this is investigated. as well.

oh thank you!! Finally some recognition of these issues with mac video card support. Hopefully it will be an easy issue to resolve and have better support with the upcoming patch.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Just to clarify, you stated when it's on your external. Does this mean it is on your external monitor or that the game is on an external HDD?

This is small step for me, but big step for humanity. Or something like that...
Reply Quote
For what it's worth, I've got the same spec and same problem too. Very disappointed to not be able to play the game I paid for. Thanks for looking into this
Reply Quote
Hi I also have the same problem. I have the 9600m gt but not with a mac. Feels like an old school lag. My friend's netbook with horrible graphics can play better than me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
24" IMac

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB
ISP: Comcast/XFinity

Game lags like crazy, as soon as I log in I'm at about 200-250ms (still high), and then as soon as I start to move it jumps to 350+, spiking in the 450+ range.

I've tried nearly all the permutations of resolutions, currently at 800x600 windowed, all the settings are low and set to low FPS (60 foreground, 4 background).

The only time I've seen decent performance is in small indoor areas like caves, anything else (Cities, outdoor zones, especially ones with lots of ledges where distant objects like mountains are visible) is too laggy to play well.

Strangely it runs WOW at much higher resolution without problem and generally < 200ms latency.
Reply Quote
Thanks Machkhan for your response. It's frustrating when things don't work out but it's good to know that issues are recognised by a blue posting in the thread. Hope you can sort this and would be happy to provide any system info or logs that might help you identify the problem and implement a resolution.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I have an identical machine to the OP, except I'm still on 10.6.8. I play on an external monitor at 1280x720, and I have my frame rate capped at 24. I'm running from my internal 7200 rpm HDD. My settings are all lowest possible, except screen res, and I can generally maintain 24 fps, Dahlgur Oasis cuts my FPS in half and some parts of Act 4 I lose 4-5 fps. If you are running on you built in monitor, with lowest settings and native resolution you should be able to maintain 24 fps. I can't say what is causing your terrible fps unless you are trying to play at 1080p. You're fps is gonna crater at that screen size, at least until some optimizations get introduced.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]