Diablo® III

9600M GT 512/9400M 256 = 3fps every 5 seconds

Same system, same problem here.

I play with an external monitor and the macbook's lid closed. I'll try to play with the lid open tonight and see if it makes any difference.
Reply Quote
Further to my earlier post, I have resolved my FPS issue on my 9600M GT 512. (For now?) I played for a few hours straight last night and finished Normal without the framerate dropping below 20.

Here's is what I tried since since last posting:

- SMC reset: no effect. Lag issue resumed immediately on opening D3.

- Mac OS 10.6.8 combo update: Success! Downloaded the full combo update (1 GB), applied it, then ran software update again. I also restored default settings by trashing (~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Diablo 3/) and installed gfxCardStatus just to confirm I'm using the proper card (but I'm 99% sure it didn't do anything). Went straight into game and was consistently over 40 FPS with the occasional drop into the 20s and 30s.

Maybe this will work for some other laggards...
Reply Quote
I have the same problem but i'm using Windows 7 64bit.
Reply Quote
I just played for 40 minutes with the macbook's lid open and the performance improved a lot. Much more playable now.

I just had to do a little trick to be able to use the clamshell mode with the lid open in Lion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNyh4hc5O8
Reply Quote
I have a late 2008 MBP with the same card 9600GT / 9400M. I get around 10-15 fps in big open areas with battles and up to 20 fps in small areas. My character is always the slowest as well. In fact a guy I was playing with said my character looked like he was stutter-stepping. I have a good internet connection, playing off wireless from a Time Capsule that runs a backup every hour (Time Machine). Is my 10-15 pretty normal? Based on OP Im thinking its low. Any ideas?

Edit: Also using 24" external apple display as my monitor. MBP is open and screen is on but black.
Edited by ARK#1420 on 5/22/2012 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'll repeat myself here as it's probably more appropriate.

Just wanted to say that I have a 3-year-old 17" MBP with an nVidea 9600M GT (512 MB GDDR3). I've put in over 30 hours now on Diablo III and, despite not playing with the 9400M, I too was experiencing extremely poor frame rates. What was interesting was that it didn't happen immediately. I could play for hours just above 20 fps and then it would drop below 10 fps and wouldn't recover. That was with physics and textures set to high and I had not yet applied the "Combined Mac OS X" update.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0647
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3436
gMux Version: 1.7.10
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: EinMacBookPro
User Name: Eingang (eingang)
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 38 minutes

In addition, I have the 7200 RPM 500GB factory-installed drive.

What I've discovered is that I can usually acceptably play by doing the following things:

• Playing in native 1920x1200 resolution.
  • Physics set to high.
  • Textures set to high.
  • Clutter set to off.
  • Shadows set to off.
  • Low FX enabled.
  • Antialiasing disabled.
  • Editing the Diablo3 prefs file as described to set DisableTrilinearFiltering to "1".
  • Set maximum FPS in the foreground to about 40.

Then, and this seems to be the most important, restart the laptop before starting to play.

After doing that, it's consistently playable for 6 or more hours on end. I don't mean I get 30 fps all the time (sometimes) but it's usually at least 20ish and it doesn't consistently drop and stay below 15 fps.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
Reply Quote
I have the same video card as you Eingang but how are you able to play on high physics and textures and get 20 - 30 and I get 20 in small areas only? Granted Im running to an external 24" apple display but the resolution is still 1920 x 1200. That doesn't add up.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Aoewyn that's off topic, latency is server stuff, not vid card setup, and as for vid performance, you do not have same issue or hardware as OP. he's describing a cpu throttling of a completey diff card, what you want is one of the MANY 9400 specific threads. They have also gotten plenty of blue responses on said issue so you'll find more info there as well. As for your latency, D3 and wow do not use same server,latency is subjective to the routing of your connection to remote server. Your realm just might be closer then the D3 play server is. you'd have to do a netstat to determine D3 and wow server IPs (to game server not battle.net) then do traceroutes to each to determine where the pathing is worse for D3

As for what's causing issue with the 9600s, if i had to guess, temps. That behavior sounds very much like a throttling issue from overheat. These machines are a few years now, i'm betting a lot of them need a good cleanout. That is built in factory behavior of card to auto shut off more or less if it gets to hot, to self cool, it would result in that up and down behavior exactly as described. I'd get a temp monitor app and see how it looks playing diablo 3, if it's way too high, then you've confirmed problem, if it's not too high, then the problem is something else.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/22/2012 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
same computer as the OP here (except 10.6.8)

I run the game on the laptop screen at native resolution (1440x900)
Most of Act 1 and first half of Act 2 run smoothly, but it gets sloppy and near unplayable in most of the other areas.
I even noticed some ugly black artifacts on the water of Dahlgur Oasis. Here's a screenshot: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/387270screenshot.jpg
Edited by Hagalaz#2963 on 5/22/2012 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Night Elf Hunter
Hello, we've got the same problem as well. Macbook Pro 9400/9600m GeForce, crazy lags every few seconds, much worse in outdoor areas.
Reply Quote
Just one stupid little thing that work for me, maybe you guys already did that but i'm going to say it anyway. Go to your system preferences > energy saver > set to (high performance). After doing that it will ask you to restart the computer.
Reply Quote
So I just fresh installed Lion on a 128GB SSD, then fresh installed DIII on it (No other programs at all). I've got almost the same exact setup, 9400M/9600M GT 2.53Ghz.

Even on the SSD and on 9600M GT I get huge drops in frame rates, down to zero (as in it freezes) every 10 seconds for around 10 seconds, it just freezes up. Just FYI to the blizzard guys trying to figure this out. (I've also got every setting minimum as well as 800x600... it doesn't matter though what the resolution is, even if I max it out at 1440x900 it looks great for 10 seconds and runs smooth, but just freezes once again.)

Please keep us updated! Thanks a lot!
Reply Quote
Just chiming in with the same video card on 10.7.4.

Doesn't matter if I'm using the laptop screen or an external, I get massive drops frequently.
Reply Quote
So, I tried doing the OS X Lion 10.7.4 Combo Update and that improved it for a little bit. I'm starting to think more and more that it's a temperature thing. When I first turn on my laptop it runs consistently between about 30-40 fps sometimes dropping in the 20s. After awhile it starts fluctuating between the 20s at best and single digits at worst. At this point I notice my laptop is quite hot.

Thinking I'm gonna try a fan control app and maybe open up the computer and clean out the fans or something. Probably some dust buildup after 3+ years that I'm sure isn't helping.

For the record, my specs are:
Macbook Pro (Late 2008)
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
GeForce 9400M (256MB) / GeForce 9600M GT (512MB)
8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
320 GB 5400RPM HDD
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I'm wondering if this is related to the card switching from 9600m to 9400 on the fly. I'm going to try running gfxcardstatus on dynamic and see if I get these same issues then force it to run on the 9600m exclusively.

When using an external display with the lid open, the dual displays force the system in to using the 9600m. When you close the lid it becomes a single display which would then auto-switch it to the 9400.

As soon as Diablo is done downloading I'll test this hypothesis.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
05/23/2012 08:25 AMPosted by DirtyMachete
So, I tried doing the OS X Lion 10.7.4 Combo Update and that improved it for a little bit. I'm starting to think more and more that it's a temperature thing. When I first turn on my laptop it runs consistently between about 30-40 fps sometimes dropping in the 20s. After awhile it starts fluctuating between the 20s at best and single digits at worst. At this point I notice my laptop is quite hot.

this is what i highly supsect, you should install something like istat or hardware monitor, these are both apps that can give you temperature of hardware and give you a perspective of just waht's going on, it also reads other sensors like fans etc to make sure they are actually working properly. You should see the temps of a lot of things, cpu, ram, gpu, etc and see if anything just seems too high. if it's 100C, it's too high, trust me.to be honest i'd be weary of anything over 90C
Reply Quote
I don't think it's related to heat at all. I have the same problems more or less and my CPU rarely goes over 75° celcius.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Tested with gfxCardStatus ( http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus ) and verified that was the problem (at least on my system). I'm on a Macbook Pro 5,3 with the 9400/9600 and a Core 2 Duo 2.66 with 4GB of RAM.

I suggest giving it a shot to people who are still struggling with this. You can configure gfxCardStatus to use discrete full time or only when plugged in to a power source. It should help any Apple devices that have a similar graphics card configuration.

I've bookmarked this thread and I hope I see things going well!
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Omega
this is what i highly supsect, you should install something like istat or hardware monitor, these are both apps that can give you temperature of hardware and give you a perspective of just waht's going on, it also reads other sensors like fans etc to make sure they are actually working properly. You should see the temps of a lot of things, cpu, ram, gpu, etc and see if anything just seems too high. if it's 100C, it's too high, trust me.to be honest i'd be weary of anything over 90C

I'm a little less sure now, of course it depends on how accurate iStat is. I've had it installed for awhile so I updated it and started keeping tabs on temp. Using that along with smcFanControl, after cleaning out my fans with some compressed air, I've managed to keep all components of my system under 80º (usually in the 65º-78º range when running the game) with my fans not dropping below 4000rpm. Even with this I still had it start to drop into single digit frame rates. It ran great consistently 30-40fps at first, sometimes dropping as low as 25, but after about 15-20 minutes it would just randomly plunge from the mid to high 20s and low 30s into the single digits every 10-15 seconds. I'm talking 8-10 fps. I checked and the temperature on all components was still below 80ºC.

So now I'm not sure if that's really the biggest issue or if there's something else. I am currently playing the game at the native resolution 1440x900 with textures low, shadows off, physics low, AA off, Low FX on, clutter off. Resolution doesn't seem to make a huge difference though as I find the same issues when I drop resolution to a lower one.
Reply Quote
I have the GeForce 9600M GT 512 / 9400M 256 chipset in my macbook pro but NEVER use my 9400M card unless I'm on the road. So I use the 9600M GT 512 to play Diablo 3 yet I still have the drop in frame rates. I get on average 40 fps with everything set to low or medium. So every 3-5 seconds the game drops to about 3-8 fps. Sometimes it plays fine but 90% of the time it doesn't. I have even transfered the game over to my high performance external video editing drives (raid 0) over FW800 to see if that made a difference. I get better performance overall but it still drops to 3-8 fps.

So something I have noticed. When it is on my external I can see my drive working. Every time the drive kicks in is when the drop in frame rates appear. It blinks, the game drops to 3fps. It does that for about 2 seconds then goes back to 40 fps.

Another thing I noticed is I tried something somebody on another forum tried. He said he had frapps going in the background and it increased his frame rate greatly. So I opened up iShowU HD (like frapps) and there was a change for sure. The frame rate jumped from 40 to about 60 sometimes 150 fps but then it would drop down to 11-18 fps every 5 seconds or so just like before. So there is a performance gain for sure but it still is unplayable sometimes. Sometimes it just drops down to 20 fps every 5 seconds and does this for a half hour or so. But when I hit a new environment it goes back to 3-11.

One other thing I noticed. If I start the game, log in, then go straight to a game it starts everything above right away. But IF I log in and wait for a minute I see the drive is still working. When I wait for the drive to stop blinking for a minute and enter a game I usually get about 30 minutes of play without all that mess above.

So I am not sure it is just the 9400M since I don't ever use that. Maybe the game is forcing the 9400M when it opens? Don't know. But I can clearly see it is something to do with the app pulling content from the game files and slowing performance down by watching the drive. Hope this helps. Would love to see this repaired. Thanks!

My specs

GeForce 9600M GT 512 / 9400M 256
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
Macbook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2009

I have similar specs - what resolution are you running at? I'm using my external LED and running at 1920x1200. The best FPS I get is 30. Just wondered what rez you were at to get 40 FPS?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]