Diablo® III

Pondering what level before Act 2 normal

I've just finished soloing normal on my level 16 hardcore WD a little while ago. Having a lot of fun, while doing it. :)

With what is likely to be poor gear (just hit 1K life with a couple of lucky drops from the butcher, about 50 DPS, little armor), I'm guessing that I should be leveling more in Act 1 before going into Act 2. I've steamrolled most content, but I've also had a few close calls; I think it's some combination of lack of familiarity (love that, though, it's fun being surprised), my WD's level when adventuring, and low end gear that's leading to difficulties, from time to time.

On that note, is there information out there about the rough level range for mobs in different acts, for the different difficulties, and recommended level ranges for characters?
Reply Quote
I think you should grind till you are much higher than 16 before act 2, not saying it's hard or that you will die but sooner or later you will and it will be because of your level/gear. I say redo parts of act 1 to get more familiar with your characters, mobs, etc...

Also something I learned after dying a few times, getting a close call once in awhile is very BAD. you are supposed to make it so that regular fights are ridiculously OP to the point where u can stand there and not even get low, what this does is makes those previously close calls into normal fights. I wouldn't go under 80% on my monk in normal fights and i got insta killed by a suicide mob pack, so just make sure you are godmode before proceeding
Edited by Decebal#1484 on 5/19/2012 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You don't actually need to farm any content in normal. Simply visiting the optional areas and taking part in the randomized events should get you enough xp and gear to comfortably pass through the content. Personally I didn't repeat any content in normal yet starting with the end boss of A2 and not ending until the beginning of nightmare A2 I was able to zerg through recklessly without much danger. In fact, I literally sat in the abilities of the A3 and A4 bosses and just powered through it.

It's not until in nightmare that you really need to make sure none of your gear falls behind too much in levels and for which it may be very profitable to repeat content.
Reply Quote
If you play through Act I normally and take part in the more obvious events you will have 16 without problem before The Butcher. I've found that to be fine having done it with WD, Barb, and Wiz.

The initial canyon walk in Act II can be a little tough, particularly for the wizard, but after the environment opens you will be fine. In my experience its more productive to just move on than grind areas that you've already finished. The scaling of xp is too great to bother rerunning content that early.
Reply Quote
normal. Simply visiting the optional areas and taking part in the randomized events should get you enough xp and gear to comfortably pass through the content. Personally I didn't repeat any content in normal yet starting with the end boss of A2 and not ending until the beginning of nightmare A2 I was able to zerg through recklessly without much danger. In fact, I literally sat in the abilities of the A3 and A4 bosses and just powered through it.

It's not until in nightmare that you really need to make sure none of your gear falls behind too much in levels and for which it may be very profitable to repeat content.
28 minutes ago

then you're just lucky, plenty of mobs in a bad a position can *#!* face no matter what you're gear or skill
Reply Quote
Thank you for the replies.

Given that level 16 isn't abnormally low to begin A2 normal, I'll move forward and see what happens.

Can I return to previous acts once I move forward, if I start feeling nostalgic or if I decide that I'd like to push the Butcher around some more?
Reply Quote
I found 16-18 in a2 probably the toughest time on my monk, but mostly because I was too brave and hadn't figured how important vitality gear is.

Don't ever forget you are playing HC, even for a second, and buy some vitality gear to make your life easier. When I look at my friends' regular gear it's hilarious how little +vit they have; and they die all the time (but don't care because they respawn lol). Not going to cut it in HC.

I'm now level 36 in nm a1, and have had far less close calls in the last 15 levels than I did during 16-17 when it hadn't quite sunk in yet how quickly I could die...
Reply Quote
Oops, never mind.
Edited by Rinkydink#1796 on 5/19/2012 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You don't actually need to farm any content in normal. Simply visiting the optional areas and taking part in the randomized events should get you enough xp and gear to comfortably pass through the content. Personally I didn't repeat any content in normal yet starting with the end boss of A2 and not ending until the beginning of nightmare A2 I was able to zerg through recklessly without much danger. In fact, I literally sat in the abilities of the A3 and A4 bosses and just powered through it.

This.

As surprising as it may sound, use merchants. For most of normal you are going to be in blues anyway, and merchants often had quick access to gear.

Get +damage jewelry, +vit armor (bonus if it has main class attribute), and always use the highest damage weapon you can find. You should be able to do this without farming

Also, learn to accept that some parts of the game are meant to kill you regardless of gear/level. I met a few players who didn't want to attempt A2 end boss because they couldn't survive by standing in the acid pools. If you move out of the way like you are supposed to, you can kill A2 boss with fairly poor stats.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
In normal you can pretty much just stay VIT and walk through all of normal. I had 2.8k hp going into a2 boss, it tickled.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]