Diablo® III

[Spoilers] Leah? Who are you talking about?

85 Gnome Priest
There is a HUGE disconnect in the continuity of the plot direction from Act 3 to Act 4 where everything suddenly becomes focused on the Nephalum and how freaking awesome he is.

In Act 3, the mission is to trap all of evil lords in the black soulstone, and then shatter it. Leah is a pretty significant part of this, as her powers are what allow us to transfer the demonic souls into the stone. Throughout the campaign story, Leah is a vital and integral role in the plot development.

However, there's this huge shift in perspective once Adria betrays the Nephalum, and shoves the soulstone into Leah's forehead. With the evils congregated, they're stronger than ever before, and Diablo is going to wreck everything. Diablo is running amuck in The High Heavens, and only the Nephalum can stop him, because he's debilitated all of the angels.

There was one thing Diablo didn't consider about this plan:

What happens if he's defeated?

With all of the evils contained in a single stone, it is MUCH more difficult for them to find a new host. There are no siblings to bring Diablo to fruition again. In short, Diablo is gone for awhile, if not forever.

Now here is where the issue lies.

In the cut scene, Tyrael is yabbering about the Nephalum, and how great he is, and that humanity is dawning blah blah blah, and that he is reclaiming his place as a mortal angel. Diablo is shown falling from heaven, disintegrating, with the black soulstone falling and no sign of Leah. And still, Tyrael is going on about Nephalum this, Nephalum that, and there is ABSOLUTE NO MENTION OF LEAH'S SACRIFICE OR EVEN HER EXISTENCE.

Leah was a GREAT character. I attached to her not only because of Deckard Cain, but also because she is the freaking protagonist of the story, aside from the nameless Nephalum who is so great and kick-!@#. She's featured in every cut-scene, yet there is no mention of her name in the final scene.

I just don't get it. Why? She deserved at least a somber rememberance, or some crap.
Edited by Degrade#1405 on 5/19/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well what did cain get?

A little cut scene and that was it?

There is a HUGE disconnect in the continuity of the plot direction from Act 3 to Act 4 where everything suddenly becomes focused on the Nephalum and how freaking awesome he is.

In Act 3, the mission is to trap all of evil lords in the black soulstone, and then shatter it. Leah is a pretty significant part of this, as her powers are what allow us to transfer the demonic souls into the stone. Throughout the campaign story, Leah is a vital and integral role in the plot development.

However, there's this huge shift in perspective once Adria betrays the Nephalum, and shoves the soulstone into Leah's forehead. With the evils congregated, they're stronger than ever before, and Diablo is going to wreck everything. Diablo is running amuck in The High Heavens, and only the Nephalum can stop him, because he's debilitated all of the angels.

There was one thing Diablo didn't consider about this plan:

What happens if he's defeated?

With all of the evils contained in a single stone, it is MUCH more difficult for them to find a new host. There are no siblings to bring Diablo to fruition again. In short, Diablo is gone for awhile, if not forever.

Now here is where the issue lies.

In the cut scene, Tyrael is yabbering about the Nephalum, and how great he is, and that humanity is dawning blah blah blah, and that he is reclaiming his place as a mortal angel. Diablo is shown falling from heaven, disintegrating, with the black soulstone falling and no sign of Leah. And still, Tyrael is going on about Nephalum this, Nephalum that, and there is ABSOLUTE NO MENTION OF LEAH'S SACRIFICE OR EVEN HER EXISTENCE.

Leah was a GREAT character. I attached to her not only because of Deckard Cain, but also because she is the freaking protagonist of the story, aside from the nameless Nephalum who is so great and kick-!@#. She's featured in every cut-scene, yet there is no mention of her name in the final scene.

I just don't get it. Why? She deserved at least a somber rememberance, or some crap.
Reply Quote
Did you even try talking to the characters during act 4? All of them talk about her.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Telzen
Did you even try talking to the characters during act 4? All of them talk about her.

That's not very reassuring though, she plays quite an important role yet is dwarfed when Act 4 starts.
Reply Quote
No one talked about albrecht in d1.

Maybe they didnt add leah to the final cutscene since she is a pretty terrible character?
Reply Quote
Probably because in the real act 4 ending cutscene they are going to be talking about ways to rescue her from inside the soul stone instead of the hilarious "peace in the universe" crap they have there temporarily. What bothers me most about it is it's so obvious nothing has concluded, Diablo was destroyed by weapons in his demon form and is simply going to rematerialize in hell in a few years, and the other primes are still in that soul stone which couldn't even hold them without Leah maintaining a spell on it just a short while ago. The soul stone which is falling from the sky and not being destroyed.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
05/19/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Telzen

Act 4 is action on rails straight to the end, you have no reason to go back to town except maybe to vendor some stuff real quick.
Reply Quote
I think they didn't get in to Leah fate for same reason they didn't get in to Adria fate either. It seems the two characters are linked together and are left open for an expansion pack. That would be my guess. Also don't forget they also didn't tell use who The Prophet (well did to a point) and I think that two will be dropped in to the expansion pack.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Sacrifice? Leah didn't sacrificed herself. She was killed. Diablo killed her when he merged or woke up because of Adria.

The nephalem are the race which born from Angels and Demons, just read the book you find on the Act IV. Sanctuary itself was named that way because it was a sanctuary for angels and demons who didn't want to fight one another. The nephalem probably had both angels and demons strength, so that's why they had the higher potential they mention.

I don't exactly the context, but our character is one of them, not just a common human. I mean, I don't know, or maybe I simply didn't understand very well, if that part of the game where we go the ruins "which only the ancients may tread" something there woke our nephalem nature or if we simply born differently. Since our character always did show signs of a greater power power, I think we simply born with it.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
05/20/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Rosaria
I don't exactly the context, but our character is one of them, not just a common human. I mean, I don't know, or maybe I simply didn't understand very well, if that part of the game where we go the ruins "which only the ancients may tread" something there woke our nephalem nature or if we simply born differently. Since our character always did show signs of a greater power power, I think we simply born with it.

Actually ALL HUMANS are Nephalem, but it has ONLY been 20 years since the power sapping worldstone was destroyed.

Old humans like the Barb and Witchdoctor were alive long before that however. Now that its gone, their powers are returning.
Reply Quote
Ya Mad...

Seriously dude why the rage post. I never said she wasn't dead. I only said that her fate is left unanswered. Before you go in to you're rage post about how once Diablo posses some one there soul is destroyed you should go back and replay the game and really interact with the characters at the end.

With out getting in to many details they do leave Leah character open to reappear in expansion pack. How the writers go about that I don't know but they dropped hints in that could lead to her having some part to play in the expansion pack.
Reply Quote
Leah didn't sacrifice anything, no more than Marius did in Diablo 2 and he got **%# all of anything. She was just a victim of circumstance really.

However it's more than likely that Blizzard hasn't sealed her fate because, knowing them, she's not actually even dead even though the last diablo games would indicate she's dead and her soul is forever lost.

At any rate, she was barely that important to the story anyway, she didn't do much outside of stall the black soulstone from breaking open.

It's fair to honor someone for their sacrifice when they lose their lives in the line of duty. While she didn't necessarily volunteer her own life, she willingly took part in a conflict where this was a serious risk.
Reply Quote
Ya Mad...

Seriously dude why the rage post. I never said she wasn't dead. I only said that her fate is left unanswered. Before you go in to you're rage post about how once Diablo posses some one there soul is destroyed you should go back and replay the game and really interact with the characters at the end.

With out getting in to many details they do leave Leah character open to reappear in expansion pack. How the writers go about that I don't know but they dropped hints in that could lead to her having some part to play in the expansion pack.

Holy !@#$ you're %^-*ing retarded. How about you go play the other two GAMES?

No one comes back from being posessed by Diablo. You die. Your soul is destroyed. Period. Anything else if just retconning bull!@#$ to appease window-lickers like you. %^-* this game's cinematics and story; it means nothing. This game was not even created by anyone who worked on the first two Diablo games! Why are you new Blizzard fans so !@#$ing stupid?!

You know, you can say that, but that's not necessarily what Metzen says.
Reply Quote
I've been skipping certain parts, but where was the part where the hero is a nephilim is explicitly mentioned?

I know there are nephilim in the drowned temple, but past a stage, she (main char) gets referred to as the nephilim.
Reply Quote
What they leave open, is for Adria's return.

Heres something else.
Diablo should never have been NAMED Diablo, he was LEGION, he was also escentially Tathamet!

THe other thing that gets me plot wise is this.

Diablo 2, We destroy Diablo's, and Mephistos black soul stone. WE 'kill' Andarial like we killed Diablo in D1. There was no 'black soul stone' like that we 'destroy' on the 'hell forge' like with diablo/duriel/mephistos. Baals soul stone I 'think' is destroyed in d2 like Diablos. (possibly?)

Anyways the point is. After Adria's obvious plot with 'diablo the dark wanderer' to create the 'super black soul stone', Does that mean, simply 'all' prime evils were locked in there, regardless of there soul stone being destroyed? (Meaning if they just killed diablo, he would have been sucked into that one anyways?)

The only reason I ponder this is the possible 'plot holes' that could have developed.

Anyways, when we kill Diablo/Legion/Tathamet in D3... Does that mean he's going to respawn in a 'few years'as Legion/Tathamet? Will Adria be responsible?

And yes, Leah's death was rather sudden in the game, and the fact that escentially she is 100% gone, really does suck, I feel blizzard did this to try and 'kill' the games possible sequels..
Reply Quote

Heres something else.
Diablo should never have been NAMED Diablo, he was LEGION...

Ah I see, the explanation why he is able to transfer between different bodies: He is some kind of software and not hardware. His real intention is to give all his demonic brethren intelligence.
But where is his M-98 Widow sniper rifle?
Edited by Bfler#2867 on 5/20/2012 9:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ya Mad...

I'm just going to put this up there: the jewel maker (yeah, the god) heavily hints at Leah's soul not being lost. Try talking to him after Leah's death.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]