Diablo® III

Cinematic missing / unable to get back

From act 2 to 3 I played with friends so I skipped the cinematics for time's sake, but now I realize I cannot go back and watch it again!

It's missing from the cinematic option at the main menu, as well as when I change quest to beat act 2 again it just goes straight to act 3 without ever playing the cinematic again.

This is a issue on couple of levels, not only am I not able to watch it anymore, I also won't have the option to watch it on my other computer as well. The cinematics are only unlocked for the computer which it was played on, and auto skipping cinematics is determined by quest advancement. This means if I play between 2 computers (which I do, because one is a laptop I bring with me), the cinematics will be scattered across computers, or that I simply won't get cinematic to play on the other computer because it auto skips without an option and they don't show in cinematic option as well.

Please fix this issue as the story plays a big part of my experience and I would like a memorable one for Diablo 3. Pleased make the cinematic experience more consistent, even across computers.

A simpler solution would actually be just have it play cinematics everytime across acts. It wouldn't be a problem because people who don't want to watch only need to skip it, nowhere near as much troublesome as if you had to find a missing cinematic. Not to mention with Diablo 3 way points no longer take you across acts so you have even less of a problem with cinematics playing.

Above are just my thoughts and rambling, but please take my concern to heart.

I am running Diablo 3 with windows 7 64 bit sp1 as well as Mac os x lion 10.7.4 for my laptop.
Reply Quote
I'm having this exact problem as well. For me, I play on 3 machines (for various reasons) and the cinematics are only unlocked on the machine that I unlocked them on.

For example, I unlocked the Act II intro on my Work PC, and because of that, I am now unable to view it on my other two machines. Really quite a pain.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I think the really nice solution would be that when you log into a character on a different computer, it unlocks the cinematics up to however far that character has gotten.

Either way, it would be nice if cinematics weren't exclusive to the computer you saw it on.
Reply Quote
I agree with Omgimdead's solution. I play between two machines just at home and having beat it on one machine I wanted to watch the cinematics on another.

Now I can not until I beat the acts again on this second machine - which I have no problem doing - but would have loved to have just watched the cinametics when I do not have the time to play - just a few minutes to relax and rewatch a short story clip.
Reply Quote
Seriously....Is this issue going to get addressed and fixed or what. Cannot imagine the point in designing the game to only watch cinematics on the "unlocking computer"
Reply Quote
That's really a uncomforting issue.
Please Blizzard, use Omgimdead's idea to unlock the cinematics on different machines.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I "reset game preferences" on my launcher to try to fix something else and it wiped all my cinematics.

I thought I would unlock them again when I did Nightmare mode but the game skipped the cinematics between Acts.

The ending Cinematic played and is now showing again.

How do we get back the missing cinematics back?
Edited by Rubes#1688 on 5/29/2012 5:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hello here,

Agreed with Karoboro, same problem encountered (playing from main computer AND laptop) and this is kind of annoying.

At first, I thought I couldn't watch cinematics due to achievements crash (on 1st day).
But even by redoing final bosses in normal difficulty, I don't get back the missing cinematics onto the computer in need (but I got back the missing achievement though).

I do concur this does not prevent from playing, but it would really be an asset to be able to see all cinematics on several computers.

Hence 2 questions :
1/ Is this feature is considered as working as intended or can it be considered as a bug?
2/ Is there any work around to get them back or we're in for a fix?
Reply Quote
I had all the cinematics, I'm now in nightmare act IV.

I have two OS's installed, Windows 7 and Windows 8 CP. After running Diablo III in Win 8 I no longer see or have access to the cinematics. When I cross from one act to another it simply skips them.

I see this topic is not new, yet no Blizzard employees have answered. You're quick to cash in for the game though, you had us all pre-order.
Edited by Gravesent#2958 on 6/1/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've just recently built a new computer, and i had all the cinematics, i formatted my drive, and re installed everything, i've been though the game twice now on nightmare and i'm not even getting the cinematics back at the end of each chapter -_- please fix this issue blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Here is a quick fix for Windows. Browse to the file named "D3Prefs.txt" located in your current user's "Documents" folder, or "My Documents" for Windows XP. The file is located on a folder named "Diablo III". Open this file and look for these lines:

PlayedCutscene0 "15"
PlayedCutscene1 "15"
PlayedCutscene2 "23"
PlayedCutscene3 "143"

Cutscene0 = Act one
Cutscene1 = Act two
Cutscene2 = Act three
Cutscene3 = Act four

If you would like to see every cinematic from the cinematic button simply replace whatever text you have for "PlayedCutscene" with the text I have provided you. I still have not figured out what the numbers mean, but I know if they are set to "0" The cinematics will play when you leave an act ingame. After that the value changed back to the numbers I have provided. Once the changes have been made simply restart the Diablo III client and the cinematics will be working.

I hope this helps. I am still looking for this file on OSx. If anyone can find this please post its location.
Edited by Pookha#1783 on 6/2/2012 8:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I found the location For OSx. In finder click "Go" then "Go to Folder..." type "~/Library/" and press enter. Then browse to "Application Support > Blizzard > Diablo III".

The file will be located there. Simply open is in "TextEdit" and change the lines to match my above post.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Here is a quick fix for Windows. Browse to the file named "D3Prefs.txt" located in your current user's "Documents" folder, or "My Documents" for Windows XP. The file is located on a folder named "Diablo III". Open this file and look for these lines:

PlayedCutscene0 "15"
PlayedCutscene1 "15"
PlayedCutscene2 "23"
PlayedCutscene3 "143"

Cutscene0 = Act one
Cutscene1 = Act two
Cutscene2 = Act three
Cutscene3 = Act four

If you would like to see every cinematic from the cinematic button simply replace whatever text you have for "PlayedCutscene" with the text I have provided you. I still have not figured out what the numbers mean, but I know if they are set to "0" The cinematics will play when you leave an act ingame. After that the value changed back to the numbers I have provided. Once the changes have been made simply restart the Diablo III client and the cinematics will be working.

I hope this helps. I am still looking for this file on OSx. If anyone can find this please post its location.

Thank you so much for this. Worked perfectly and was really fast.
Reply Quote
Here is a quick fix for Windows. Browse to the file named "D3Prefs.txt" located in your current user's "Documents" folder, or "My Documents" for Windows XP. (...)
PlayedCutscene0 "15"
PlayedCutscene1 "15"
PlayedCutscene2 "23"
PlayedCutscene3 "143"
This is the work around I used couple of weeks ago to solve the problem, indeed.
Works fine.

Edit : typo.
Edited by Walrox#2672 on 7/26/2012 1:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks very much, it work perfectly!!
Reply Quote
I ran into this issue as well when I downloaded D3 on a new PC. The quick fix posted above allows me to watch the cinematic in the "cinematic" menu but still will not trigger when I complete an act.
Reply Quote
WTF! Happen to the cinematics? The only one ones i can see is the intro and the ending.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]