- The Black Mushroom
- Leorics Shinbone
- Liquid Rainbow
- Gibbering Gemstone
- Wirts Bell
- Plans: Staff of Herding

- Item Locations -

- The Black Mushroom - Act 1 - Cathedral Level 1
- Start a Normal game on Act 1 Quest 10 Part 1, and take the waypoint to the Cathedral Garden. Go inside Leorics Passage, walk up the stairs to the Cathedral Level 1 and search for the Black Mushroom.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_t4JapHPr9A#t=28s

- Leorics Shinbone - Act 1 - Leorics Manor
- Start a Normal game on Act 1 Quest 10 Part 1, and take the waypoint to Leorics Manor, On your way to the entrance of Leorics Manor, you will see a side room with a fireplace. Click the logs in the fireplace and recieve Leorics Shinbone, if the logs are not clickable; Town portal - Leave game - Resume game.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KQE-L6H2jvM

- Liquid Rainbow - Act 2 - Dahlgur Oasis
- Start a Normal game on Act 2 Quest 6 Part 2, and take the waypoint to The Path of the Oasis. Follow the south east wall, check the 2 vendor-spawn locations. If he is there, save him from the attacking ghosts. If he is not there; Town portal - Leave game - Resume game.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YrD3GfhG5II

- Gibbering Gemstone - Act 3 - Caverns of Frost Level 2
- Start a Normal game on Act 3 Quest 7 Part 1, and take the waypoint to The Bridge of Korsikk. Look around for the "Caverns of Frost Level 1" Enter the cave, go to the "Caverns of Frost Level 2" and kill Chiltara. Chiltara will not always be here, Chiltara will also only drop one item, and that item will be the Gibbering Gemstone. If you find Icefall Caverns; Town portal - Leave game - Resume game; as Chiltara will only spawn in the Caverns of Frost.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zAQPNmelCFo

- Wirts Bell - Act 2 - Squirt the Peddler (Vendor)
- Start a Normal game on Act 2 Quest 10 Part 1, and walk to the vendors near the healers, talk to Squirt the Peddler and buy the Wirts bell for 100,000 gold.

- Plans: Staff of Herding - Act 4 - Izual
- Start a Normal game on Act 4 Quest 4 Part 1, Do the quest like normal. Once you reach Izual - Kill him and hope the Plans: Staff of Herding drop.

Step 2 - Crafting The Staff
- Go to the Blacksmith and use your Plans: Staff of Herding.
- Bring the materials: The Black Mushroom, Leorics Shinbone, Liquid Rainbow, Gibbernig Gemstone, Wirts Bell, and 50,000 gold to the Blacksmith.
- Craft the Staff of Herding.

Step 3 - Getting to the Secret Level
- Take the staff to the open red glowing Crevasse on Old Tristram Road in Act 1.
- The Ghost of the Cow King will come out of his corpse. Talk to him.
- After a funny conversation between you and the Cow King, you unlock the level, Known as Whimsyshire. *You can press space to skip the chat

- Upgrading your Staff of Herding -
Normal to Nightmare
Step 1. Start a Nightmare game on Act 4 Quest 4 Part 2 (The Prime Evil - Enter the Crystal Arch)
Step 2. Go to Gorell the Quartermaster, near the healer and the followers.
Step 3. Buy the Plans: Nightmarish Staff of Herding for 20,000 gold
Step 4. Go to the Blacksmith and use the plans.
Step 5. Craft the Nightmarish Staff of Herding by having 200,000 gold and the Staff of Herding in your inventory.

Nightmare to Hell
Step 1. Start a Hell game on Act 4 Quest 4 Part 2. (The Prime Evil - Enter the Crystal Arch)
Step 3. Buy the Plans: Hellish Staff of Herding for 50,000 gold
Step 5. Craft the Hellish Staff of Herding by having 500,000 gold and the Nightmarish Staff of Herding in your inventory.

Hell to Inferno
Step 1. Start a Inferno game on Act 4 Quest 4 Part 2 (The Prime Evil - Enter the Crystal Arch)
Step 3. Buy the Plans: Infernal Staff of Herding for 75,000 gold.
Step 5. Craft the Infernal Staff of Herding by having 1,000,000 gold and the Hellish Staff of Herding in your inventory.
Edited by Shadowolves#1227 on 11/30/2012 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
in order to get the recipes from the vendor you must have killed izual before otherwise the recipe wont appear on the quartermaster.
Reply Quote
I just went to find the black mushroom and the level layout is different than the video shown..

Any clues as to why this is?
Reply Quote
Cole
I just went to find the black mushroom and the level layout is different than the video shown..

Any clues as to why this is?

because in Diablo they have multiple layouts.. you just have to search around till you find it. there is not 1 set map for each area.
Reply Quote
The instructions for upgrading to Nightmarish staff are incorrect. The plans do NOT drop off of Izual. You need to teleport back to your keep before killing Diablo on Nightmare mode and the quartermaster sells the plans for 1 gold.
Reply Quote
Levels are random buddy.
Reply Quote
- Upgrading the Nightmarish Staff of Herding to the ~Hellish~ Staff of Herding -
Step 1. Get the Recipe for the ~Hellish~ Staff of Herding drop off of Izual in Act 4
Step 2. Go to the Blacksmith and use the plans.
Step 3. Craft the ~Hellish~ Staff of Herding by having ~000,000,000 Gold on you, and the Nightmarish Staff of Herding in your inventory.

- Upgrading the ~Hellish~ Staff of Herding to the ~Inferno~ Staff of Herding -
Step 1. Get the Recipe for the ~Inferno~ Staff of Herding drop off of Izual in Act 4
Step 2. Go to the Blacksmith and use the plans.
Step 3. Craft the ~Inferno~ Staff of Herding by having ~000,000,000~ Gold on you, and the ~Hellish~ Staff of Herding in your inventory.

If you have any information about the Hell / Inferno Staff, please let me know and I'll add it

Its 500 000 to upgrade from nightmare to hell staff.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Ferinthul
Levels are random buddy.

I know this...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I have a few questions about the staff.

1) Is the staff a one time use thing or can I farm the secret area an infinite amount of times?

2) Is the staff BoA and usable by all my characters?

3) Is there an NPC that I should avoid killing? In Diablo 2 if you killed the cow king you couldn't go to the cow level on that difficulty anymore.
Reply Quote
I have a few questions about the staff.

1) Is the staff a one time use thing or can I farm the secret area an infinite amount of times?

2) Is the staff BoA and usable by all my characters?

3) Is there an NPC that I should avoid killing? In Diablo 2 if you killed the cow king you couldn't go to the cow level on that difficulty anymore.

1. You can do it infinite amount of times

2. Useable by all your characters

3. And no, You can kill everything leave and come back.

Also if you have the Nightmarish it opens all the ones before it. So on so forth. So Inferno will open all the previous levels of Whimyshire.
Reply Quote
Hmm, which town we talking about to buy the Plans? I am in New Tristram and I dont see it.

Nvm, got it. Act 4.
Edited by SpecialK#1110 on 5/20/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thanks, Linde. :)
Reply Quote
Are the drops good in the secret level in normal/NM or is it really only decent in hell/inferno?
Reply Quote
Can one person in a group take the others? So if I farm all the pieces on my character, can I take my 3 casual friends (who won't want to farm the pieces) with me?
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Ipitydafool
Can one person in a group take the others? So if I farm all the pieces on my character, can I take my 3 casual friends (who won't want to farm the pieces) with me?

Yes you can. Theres a bug thats going on now that the staff disappears randomly, but it works like you said.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Just did exactly as this says and got my Whimsyshire achievement
Reply Quote
The staff isn't usable by all characters, as in, you can't equip it on a barbarian and access the unicorn level with that character, which means I've wasted a lot of time leveling my main as a barbarian, in hopes of clearing the level on it, only to find out I can't get to the damn thing.
Reply Quote
afaik you don't need to be able to equip it, the cow king appears when I just have the staff in my inventory.
Reply Quote
Ive literally done 72 runs of Izual, have Nightmarish and Hellish, but cannot find the stupid normal staff of herding, I have been doing dual runs (i run it myself, then join in with a friend as soon as he is there) is there any way to make this easier....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]