Diablo® III

** Staff of Herding **

Been farming on and off since release for the liquid rainbow... Nothing. Does this even drop... ffs.

Hours and hours wasting away..... ffs.

It doesn't drop from mobs, and it doesn't drop from a resplendent chest. You go to the Dahlgur Oasis and head to the little alcove a short distance from the entrance of the Oasis, on the south side of the map. Every now and then you will find a merchant being attacked by some ghost. Kill them, and go into the Mysterious Cave.

In the Mysterious Cave, on the first floor, is something called a "Mysterious Chest". It glows like a resplendent chest, but only drops the Liquid Rainbow. I think it took me less than 10 tries, and assembling the staff entirely was a couple hour ordeal.
Reply Quote
wts 5crit mempo 180dex 9% att speed 3bil pm me thebeast#1977
Reply Quote
have normal staff of herding. took nightmare plans and normal staff and killed izual went to gorel and no plans for nightmare. any advice? dave
Reply Quote
I never got the plans on normal on my first run through. Just beat Diablo on nightmare, got nightmare plans and used just those on the blacksmith, then learned I needed to have plans and all the other items with me to make the staff. Now after a good 15x with Izual, nada for normal plan drop. Am I screwed?
Reply Quote
08/02/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Buddyboy
have normal staff of herding. took nightmare plans and normal staff and killed izual went to gorel and no plans for nightmare. any advice? dave

I think you simply need to take your nightmare plans and normal staff to the blacksmith. But I'm having my own issues so I'm just taking an edumacated guess :)
Reply Quote
went to the blacksmith with normal staff and nightmare plans. only thing offered was normal staff. any help appreciated. dave
Reply Quote
have staff of herding and nightmare plans. killed izual. went to blacksmith and allthat was offered was normal staff. how do you upgrade to next level? Dave
Reply Quote
Have normal staff and nightmare plans. Ikilled izual went to blacksmith to upgrade staff to nightmare. only thing offered was normal staff. appreciate any help. Dave
Reply Quote
what if the guy doesnt appear when trying to get the liquid rainbow? does it matter if i use normal diff or does it have to be nitemare or hell??
Reply Quote
I finally found it He managed to spawn and i had to go to the mysterious cave and fight for it but I finally got it. now all i need s 50000 gold to craft the staff of herding
Thanks for all the help
Reply Quote
ive done 2 hours of researche for item and i just got 2 of them did i do something wrong please help me !
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
05/20/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Foolish
afaik you don't need to be able to equip it, the cow king appears when I just have the staff in my inventory.

It's not working that way for me. I just got the staff of heading, with a Barbarian. He can't equip it. And when it's in his inventory, nothing happens. Any advice?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/21/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Throcknmead
afaik you don't need to be able to equip it, the cow king appears when I just have the staff in my inventory.

It's not working that way for me. I just got the staff of heading, with a Barbarian. He can't equip it. And when it's in his inventory, nothing happens. Any advice?

Just tried equipping it with a low-level wizard (6), and just to cover this base, a brand-new entry-level wiz (level 1), and I can't seem to figure how to activate this staff !
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
12/21/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Throcknmead

Just tried equipping it with a low-level wizard (6), and just to cover this base, a brand-new entry-level wiz (level 1), and I can't seem to figure how to activate this staff !

AHH! You have to go killing wretched mothers in Act I, and the Ghost of the Cow King appears above his skeleton along that path, and offers you a visit, opening the portal. (Maybe that instruction appears somewhere else online, but I couldn't find it.)
Reply Quote
Everyone can use it, you don't equip as a weapon, you just put it in your inventory, then when you walk up to the fissure, click on the carcass of the dead cow, and the ghost of the cow king, appears, and talks with you, then when he's done talking, the fissure starts to radiate a glowing rainbow of colors, and is a "clickable" and teleports you to Whimseyshire.

Every character can go there, as long as they have the correct staff, and have beaten the game on that difficulty level. DON'T TRY TO EQUIP AS WEAPON, JUST KEEP IN INVENTORY!!!!
Reply Quote
I have done about 25 normal izzy runs looking for the plans for the normal staff of herding but I cant find it. Im even doing it on MP10 in norm in the hopes to find it. Any advice?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I have been wondering since the recent update to diablo 3 is there any point to upgrading the staff anymore? I have been able to use the first level staff to open the level even on the top level of difficulty
Reply Quote
From what I know one actually can't update it anymore... vendor wont sell me the update plans.
Reply Quote
Yeah the upgrade plans are gone now, so if you didn't upgrade staff before you can only make the normal one.

My issue is I've done about 100 Izual runs so far and still haven't gotten the plans. I have all the other items just need the plans sadly.
Reply Quote
With the Liquid Rainbow, i have only found the merchant once after 5 regualr gameplays and in addition to 15+ map reloads to look for him and not once have i gotten the item at all. Also with the Gibbering Gemstone i have found Chiltara only ONCE as well and that was just recently and the Gibbering Gemstone was not dropped either.

I have the other materials (black mushroom, the bell and leorics shinbone) i just need help finding the blasted things also hints and tips on how to get them as well
Edited by Balgruff#1998 on 4/27/2014 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]