Diablo® III

Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone

If you got hacked it's all on your end. An authenticator is only there to prevent someone from getting in if you screwed up and downloaded a keylogger in the first place.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 08:59 PMPosted by MystiKasT
I majored in comp sci in college.

and you have no antivirus??
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Kaelys
Jesus blizzard really dropped the ball on this whole security thing

Yeah. They should have a Blizzard employee stand next to you at your desk and slap you whenever you try to click a bad link or fall for a phishing scam. After all, it is totally their responsibility to keep YOUR account safe. They don't offer a damn near fail safe and free security fob.

Amen.
Reply Quote
Most Anti Virus software can't detect really good trojans. I agree that it's completely the users fault. I've been playing WoW since release and have never been hacked.
Reply Quote
Hello all,

I had my diablo 3 account hacked today. All my items gone and gold liquidated. Blizzard rolled it back to where I was a day and a half before. Meaning I lost around 20 hours of game time play. Not only that, but from what I've read, it seems to be blizzard's fault. My password is a random combination of capitalized and uncapitalized letters, numbers, and special characters. My security question answer is also unknowable by anyone but me.

I was told I'd have to use an authenticator now to use the Real money auction house, and if it happened again, my account would be banned from the RMAH. What is up with that? Blizzard has security flaws and I get punished? So ontop of losing 20 hours of gameplay, I have to use an authenticator to login to my account now, and am teetering on the edge of never using the RMAH? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I just reformatted this computer in anticipation for diablo 3. I have no programs on here but diablo 3, an EVGA overclocker, and internet explorer. I'm also on a secure wired connection, with a legitimate copy of windows 7. I know my stuff, I majored in comp sci in college. Don't treat me like an idiot. This is not my fault.
\

The security flaws are your own. You didn't protect yourself enough. I didn't have an authenticator for 8 years, never been hacked, ever.

Your anecdote does not refute his claim in any way, shape or form.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Failtacular
I majored in comp sci in college.

and you have no antivirus??

That's like saying "I'm a Doctor because I have a degree in Medical Sciences!". Just because you have a degree in computer science, which is a WIDE degree in what you can learn btw, doesn't mean you are a security expert.
Reply Quote

\

The security flaws are your own. You didn't protect yourself enough. I didn't have an authenticator for 8 years, never been hacked, ever.

Your anecdote does not refute his claim in any way, shape or form.

Oh he was hacked but it's not blizzards fault he did something he should not have. IE: All stated above.

General RULES:

DO NOT CLICK ON LINKS IN YOUR EMAIL! Even if they claim it's blizzard. ;)
DO NOT use your login credentials on another site. IR: Same password, email, etc.
UPDATE your antivirus. If you don't have one, for the love that is all holy get one. Plenty of free nice ones. Google it.
Edited by Lunchbox#1884 on 5/20/2012 9:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 09:08 PMPosted by MystiKasT
I don't have a smartphone, and I don't have the extra money for an authenticator. Because of this, you're saying it is my fault my account got hacked? When my password is specific ONLY to this video game, my b.net account email specific only to b.net!? GET REAL!

You don't need an authenticator to practice smart browsing/downloading or use Firefox with Adblock/Noscript as a backup.
Reply Quote
People with authenticators have also had all their stuff taken.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 09:08 PMPosted by MystiKasT
I don't have a smartphone, and I don't have the extra money for an authenticator. Because of this, you're saying it is my fault my account got hacked? When my password is specific ONLY to this video game, my b.net account email specific only to b.net!? GET REAL!

Are you serious? You just bought a $60 game (or paid whatever it was for the yearly wow annual pass), and you can't afford $6 for an authenticator? Pardon my for saying that's pretty pathetic.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Xeren
People with authenticators have also had all their stuff taken.

Prove it. Other than some random anecdotal evidence.
Reply Quote
To those that got hacked, check your friend list, do you have a weird lvl 1 in your "recently played with" ?
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Lunchbox
I think you should look at SWTOR, it was worse on launch day than it was here.

Agreed... SWTOR took the cake when it came to failed launches
Reply Quote
Majoring in comp sci has really no bearing on your situation or knowledge at all
Reply Quote
I'm not familiar with that authenticator thing. I just got hacked, and I'm looking forward to secure my account the best I can before continuing playing. Do I need to have a smart phone to have an authenticator? I don't have one..
Reply Quote
I was just hacked too, within a 2 hour frame recently. No one knew my password except me. I am very cautious about these things and also did not enter my password on any other source. I'm not sure what's going on, but if I can't recover my items I'm done
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]