Diablo® III

Ummm...all of my gold and items are gone

View profile
05/21/2012 06:42 AMPosted by hsram
ALL accounts that are compromised are the users fault in some way, shape or form.

Bingo. If there was really a massive Battle.net security breech then you'd see a lot more complaints than we're currently seeing. People weren't "hacked" any more than a virus put a folder full of p0rn on their desktop ("No, honey, I swear, someone hacked my Facebook and put it there, honest!").
Edited by MountainMan#1630 on 5/21/2012 6:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 06:46 AMPosted by MountainMan
ALL accounts that are compromised are the users fault in some way, shape or form.

Bingo. If there was really a massive Battle.net security breech then you'd see a lot more complaints than we're currently seeing. People weren't "hacked" any more than a virus put a folder full of p0rn on their desktop.

Are you sure about that?

It started semi-slow over 2 days ago about people having their accounts compromised.
Then yesterday it picked up a fair bit.

Since last night and right now the amount of "omg my account is hacked" posts has climbed DRASTICALLY. It is a problem that is becoming more wide spread instead of slowing down. It is gaining momentum by the minute.

Generally tools/hacks/exploits start in a very small community (1-3 people), but people are stupid. Those tools or exploits leak out. As more people get access to the tool or exploit, more people are going to get compromised.

It's actually the exact opposite of what you think. :D
Reply Quote
Its a fact blizzard need to clean their house up but the hacking isnt common.

For amazon alone, they said 2.5 million people pre-ordered diablo 3 from them.

So lets assume blizzard sold 3.2 million worldwide.

Let say 1% of diablo accounts were hacked.

So, even 1 percent (32,000) is a lot.

I dont see 32000 people flooding the US, asia, europe battlenet diablo forums about hacking.
Edited by MasterChief#1980 on 5/21/2012 6:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hello all,

I had my diablo 3 account hacked today. All my items gone and gold liquidated. Blizzard rolled it back to where I was a day and a half before. Meaning I lost around 20 hours of game time play. Not only that, but from what I've read, it seems to be blizzard's fault. My password is a random combination of capitalized and uncapitalized letters, numbers, and special characters. My security question answer is also unknowable by anyone but me.

I was told I'd have to use an authenticator now to use the Real money auction house, and if it happened again, my account would be banned from the RMAH. What is up with that? Blizzard has security flaws and I get punished? So ontop of losing 20 hours of gameplay, I have to use an authenticator to login to my account now, and am teetering on the edge of never using the RMAH? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I just reformatted this computer in anticipation for diablo 3. I have no programs on here but diablo 3, an EVGA overclocker, and internet explorer. I'm also on a secure wired connection, with a legitimate copy of windows 7. I know my stuff, I majored in comp sci in college. Don't treat me like an idiot. This is not my fault.

key logging programs dont care which keys you use, they copy them all... sorry it was your fualt, learn to get the free authenticator
Reply Quote
81 Human Warlock
To everyone who's suddenly getting hacked: This same thing happened in Rift right after launch. Hackers found a hole in the code which allowed them to completely bypass the login process altogether. They were able to log in to thousands of accounts directly as administrators and did not need passwords, etc. (notice whenever any game GM helps you with your account in any game, he never asks for your password because they don't need it?).

Each account in Rift's case anyway also has a 5-digit code attached to it that identified it, and the hackers went directly to that point and just started spamming 5 digit numbers (I'd guess with bot programs) until they got "hits." Then they went in with a basic bot program and wiped out peoples' gold.

It was actually one of Rift's players on its General Forums who found the hole in the code after his own account got wiped out, and PM'd Rift's developers, Trion Worlds, on how to fix it. They had the hole plugged up in a few hours after that. This guy used to be a hacker himself and had since become a "white hat," a good guy who went to work for a security company, and so he was able to help Trion.

I really hope Blizzard is paying attention here! Diablo III just launched, as had Rift when the hackers went crazy on that game, so there well could be security vulnerabilities here, too.

WAKE UP, BLIZZARD!!!
Reply Quote
Its a fact blizzard need to clean their house up but the hacking isnt common.

For amazon alone, they said 2.5 million people pre-ordered diablo 3 from them.

So lets assume blizzard sold 3.2 million worldwide.

Let say 1% of diablo accounts were hacked.

So, even 1 percent (32,000) is a lot.

I dont see 32000 people flooding the US, asia, europe battlenet diablo forums about hacking.

That's because you're assuming 100% of the 1% will be actively posting on the forums. A majority of people who have issues call phone support. A small percent of users will use support tickets. An even smaller percent will actually post on the forums.

If I have a problem with a Newegg order or something of that nature the first thing I'm doing is calling them. Then I'll hit the website for anything else I need to do. If the problem is solved on the phone then I never reach their online support let alone community forums.

EDIT:
If you extrapolate the 1% rule from the total reports (let's say it's about 400).

400 people posted on the forums about this issue
400 is 1% of 40,000
40,000 is 1% of 4 million

So we have 4 million estimated sales, 40.000 people have this issue, 400 of them posted on the forums. I personally feel it's more because it's not like the issues have stopped. There are more reports coming in all the time. The 1% number is now climbing.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 5/21/2012 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I, too, got hacked. My stash is empty and my gold gone, but it wasnt alot in either cases. Gear still there so I can continue playing. But its still very obvious that theres a huge security breach within the game. For those idiots that claim its an end-user fault: gtfo. The bug report/support forum has several threads in it with people that got hacked, some of those threads are already maxed out.
Now scale this up to the amount of users that actually bother posting about this and it gets pretty obvious that thousands of people are getting hacked as we speak.
Also, there is no way to hack my password. Just no. The people who do this seem to be able to easily ignore any kind of security/the login screen else this wouldnt be happening.
Reply Quote
View profile
05/21/2012 06:53 AMPosted by Oni
This problem is WAY too widespread for it to be just a keylogger as a lot of forum trolls suggest.

Sorry, bro, but a handful of affected people out of millions does not indicate a widespread problem.
Reply Quote
I've got a weird case there...
My gold, health potions, crafting materials and crafting pages are all gone, but I still got all of my equipment and gems.
Did a malware scan, no results.
No suspicious players in the "recently played" category.
No auctions.
And I have never joined an open game.

Even if I got hacked... how would they have gotten the gold from my char?
Hope it will all clear up eventually.
Luckily, I didn't have all that much gold =)
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Lunchbox
Jesus blizzard really dropped the ball on this whole security thing

Uhh no. People dropped the ball on their own security thing. ALL accounts that are compromised are the users fault in some way, shape or form.

I recall Rift had a security issue that would allow someone to log into any account without the password. It was completely Trion's fault.
Reply Quote

I recall Rift had a security issue that would allow someone to log into any account without the password. It was completely Trion's fault.

That's because Trion and RIFT are complete garbage. Don't compare !@#$ty programmers to elite ones.

D2 had more vulnerability and hacks than a lot of other games. I've played trashy F2P games developed overseas and published by no name companies in the US. Those games were more secure than D2 and that was over 10 years ago so they are in the same era of time.

Face it. Blizzard has an amazing art team and their music used to be (sort of still is but not quite) is second to none.

Their security is a joke though. Who forces authenticators down your throat in order to be safe when you're actually not safe. It's just another revenue source for them. People fear what they don't understand, and fear is a great motivator to make purchases.
Reply Quote
To everyone who's suddenly getting hacked: This same thing happened in Rift right after launch. Hackers found a hole in the code which allowed them to completely bypass the login process altogether. They were able to log in to thousands of accounts directly as administrators and did not need passwords, etc. (notice whenever any game GM helps you with your account in any game, he never asks for your password because they don't need it?).

Each account in Rift's case anyway also has a 5-digit code attached to it that identified it, and the hackers went directly to that point and just started spamming 5 digit numbers (I'd guess with bot programs) until they got "hits." Then they went in with a basic bot program and wiped out peoples' gold.

It was actually one of Rift's players on its General Forums who found the hole in the code after his own account got wiped out, and PM'd Rift's developers, Trion Worlds, on how to fix it. They had the hole plugged up in a few hours after that. This guy used to be a hacker himself and had since become a "white hat," a good guy who went to work for a security company, and so he was able to help Trion.

I really hope Blizzard is paying attention here! Diablo III just launched, as had Rift when the hackers went crazy on that game, so there well could be security vulnerabilities here, too.

WAKE UP, BLIZZARD!!!

This actually makes most sense since... That sucks I hope my stuff is still there and I use an authenticator.
Reply Quote

That's because Trion and RIFT are complete garbage. Don't compare !@#$ty programmers to elite ones.

Expert trolling. Are these the same elite programmers leaving SC2 wins to be checked on the client side so the ladder is full of kiddies with 100% win rate, or people mass drop hacking all top players out of their games? Exploits always exist in all software, and there could definitely be a vulnerability somewhere.
Reply Quote
81 Human Warlock
Trion Worlds, the developers of Rift, got hacked shortly after Rift launched and thousands of accounts got wiped out of their gold and items.

There was a hole in the code that allowed the hackers to bypass the whole login system completely, so they didn't need emails or passwords. (So if that's what's going on here, then authenticators wouldn't matter either because the hackers would be bypassing that whole part as well.) The hackers logged in as Admins and went past the entire login process directly to the area where there was a 5-digit code attached to each account. (Notice how GMs never need your authenticator or password when they go into your account either? See what I'm saying here? There is a process for bypassing all that already coded into games.) Then the hackers spammed 5 digit combinations until they got "hits" and subsequently wiped out thousands of players' gold and items with a bot program.

I sure hope Blizzard is on the ball about looking into this and not just writing it off as a lack of authenticators on its player base's part. I mean, if it's a similar hack job to Rift's, then authenticators wouldn't matter because, much like not needing account names and passwords to get in, they would be going right by that part and not needing it to get in, either.
Edited by Siren#1803 on 5/21/2012 7:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]