Diablo® III

Why D3 won't last very long.

We all know video games have flaws, there is no perfect game out there that matches the desire of every player playing it, but for a game that has been in development for so many year as D3 has, I honestly expected a little more then this. Without even mentioning the problems with hacking, lag, and constant maintenance, Here are a few reasons why this game will die off VERY quickly regarding the game play it self:

-Lets start off with the big one: there is absolutely NO sense of continuous play to the game. Don't get me wrong, the storyline was fine, I enjoyed it, but once you get to level 60... Honestly there's nothing left to do. Spend a few days attempting to beat inferno, and if you succeed, there literally is nothing left to do, except spends hours playing through a storyline you've played through hundreds of times over n over attempting to magic find. Having such a low level cap, ruined the continuous play aspect to the game, instead of how d2 was, it took a VERY long time to reach max level, giving players a thrive to keep playing their character. One week into the game, and I'm already bored out of my mind.

-itemization is complete rubbish, for three reasons:
1) there is no sense of direction with the items... magic items being better then legendaries and sets, it almost seems pointless to get magic find items or even get a thrill if/when a legendary drops, because you know your equipped magic item will be better.

2)Even if legendaries or sets were any decent, drop chance of them is WAY too low, I personally have cleared 3 whole difficulties, and half of act 1 in inferno, and have yet to see either a set or legendary item drop. This takes away the thrill of playing a gear dependent fast paced adventuring hack and slash, makes this aspect of the game boring. I remember in d2, you would see at least 2 or 3 uniques drop per act, even with no MF at all.

3) Horrible, and i repeat, HORRIBLE item stat structure. I wonder if blizzard even spent any time at all coming up with these items and the stats they have, honestly it's so dull, boring, and tedious. One example is weapons; the only thing that really matters is the dps, and nothing else, and since melees and casters use the same damage formula... it's complete linear and boring. You see wizards wielding these incredibly high dps weapons, instead of how d2 was where there was honestly 10x more different stat structures, and a magic class would be completely different from a melee class. Melees and range classes also use the exact same armor, again, boring and tedious... everything's the same.

-There is absolutely no social aspect to this game at all... 90% of the players currently are either just solo-playing through it, or playing with a group of friends. No more chat rooms, no more server list, (the current public game setup is a complete joke...), it makes the game unbearably boring after your first run through. What ever happened to the huge social style of game play that D2 had? It made the game incredibly fun.

-Game is way to linear. Every play through, the map is the EXACT same, disregarding a few little random dungeons they may have a different layout. What the hell was the point of this?... I thought maps were suppose to be randomly generated? The new progression system also makes the game even more of a complete bore, instead of opening your game and being able to freely go anywhere you choose like in d2, you're stuck picking a certain quest and being forced to go from there, WHY?! who ever thought of this idea, you good sir, failed.

-classes being WAY too imbalanced. Long story short, melee classes get absolutely pooped on in inferno, and there's nothing we can do about it, while range classes at least have a chance to succeed, even in inferior gear. We know inferno was ment to be extremely hard, but seriously, there's a difference between hard, and impossible (referring to melees). Good news? At least this issue can actually be resolved unlike some of the others.

-Forced roles (again, coming from a melee standpoint, and referring to inferno). We're tanks, kiters, and buffers. That's it. We have no choice in the matter, and it stinks. Worse part is, we can't even be a hybrid, cuz we have to load our passives and active skills with all tanky-type skills, or we die, leaving no room for any of our cool, fun, offensive abilities. Worse part is, with the new layout if the skill system, and only having a max of 6 skills able to use (which we mostly have to have tank skills there), we can't even use our other abilities they normally would increase the fun in playing. Personally, i found d2's setup much better, at least i wasn't forced to only use certain spells, and i could actually use all my abilities at any given time.

All these flaws combined, along with the others i haven't made a paragraph about, such as elite/rare mobs being harder then 2, even 3 act bosses combined,or the fact mercenaries being complete rubbish compared to d2, will make this game go down in ashes. Yes, the first play through was extremely fun, but there is no sense of continuous play, at all. People will get bored, and fast.

Something i found ironic, is a long time ago i remember reading a blue post, that a blizzard employee stated they didn't wanna create a replica of d2, but a whole new exciting game, but you see, that's where you're wrong, if you're going to make a "whole new exciting game", at least move forwards, not backwards, otherwise you should have created a replica of d2, just with a new storyline and new features. Why? Because it worked.
Reply Quote
Have a lvl 58 DH in Hell, been playing solo 50% and with a WD 50%...huge Diablo fan and im enjoying the game right now through my first play-through. However, my eyes are wide open and I agree with every word you said.
Reply Quote
Like the OP is an authority of what keeps a game alive and what doesn't. D3 will last well into the next decade just like D2. It's a FRANCHISE of a game now and just because a few dweebs who wanted the game to be something else don't like it they have no authority or effect on how long it will last. Please IGNORE these types and move along to the GOOD STUFF like nerfing of Wizards and Demon Hunters. ;)
Reply Quote
Yes I agree with most of it. Still a good game though; it just wont be a lone time commitment.
Reply Quote
100% disagreed.
Reply Quote
This game is a gear grind. It's not meant to have a story that continues ad infinitum. You're supposed to get to the max level, then grind bosses and elites for the uber gear.

It's the exact same archetype that D2 had, it's what these games entail. It caters to a specific type of player. It is NOT meant to be like WoW, meaning constant content updates and always having something new to do.
Reply Quote
Idiots have been saying that about Blizzard games forever. If I had a dime for every idiot like you that have foreseen the down fall of a blizzard game, i would rich.

Here is a clue idiot #1002, you have no idea what this game will do, period.
Reply Quote
I have found 2 legendaries and i am just now on act 3 hell. I dont think that is too little. it wouldnt be legendary if everyone was finding them.
Reply Quote
The only thing that will seriously hurt this game is the account hacking, cheats, and lag.
Moreover, if the RMAH is fail......well uh....

But seriously, Blizzard will not allow it to be fail...one patch and/or one game update or expansion and its back in the game.
Reply Quote
agreed with no social aspect and that the game is far too linear

I feel like playing an old nintendo game alone at home.
Reply Quote
-I enjoyed it, but once you get to level 60... Honestly there's nothing left to do.

See now, this phrase is the most repeated phrase thru out the PC Game Industry.
Of which my response and others has always been:

Thats what you get for rushing thru the game to reach level cap.

Honestly, how many times do players need to rush to level cap and then sit there trolling the forums crying "they have nothing to do".

Everyone should just stop reading as soon as they see that phrase ant not even bother replying.
Edited by Angron#1411 on 5/22/2012 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Rocky
I've killed about twenty bosses in Hell now with a full stack of Nephalem valor and still no legendary items found....

Do you know how much MF a full stack of NV gives? I'm curious as I am edging toward level 60.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I found two legendaries last night about 5 minutes apart, a 1hander axe and a quiver. I was blown away...even though they turned out to be crap and terribly itemized, they might work briefly with a new alt.

And this was on my lvl 25 barb in Act 3 normal mode, so not sure what to tell you regarding the drop rates except that random loot is random.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
05/22/2012 01:16 PMPosted by Ioannides
once you get to level 60... Honestly there's nothing left to do.

Do it with the other 5 classes?

One week into the game, and I'm already bored out of my mind.

Get a job/life/friends?

1) there is no sense of direction with the items... magic items being better then legendaries and sets, it almost seems pointless to get magic find items or even get a thrill if/when a legendary drops, because you know your equipped magic item will be better.

Not always the case. Legendaries of equal level with said Magic item are always better from what I've seen.

2)Even if legendaries or sets were any decent, drop chance of them is WAY too low, I personally have cleared 3 whole difficulties, and half of act 1 in inferno, and have yet to see either a set or legendary item drop.

I've cleared a single quest and had 6 drops, while other times it's scarce. Welcome to RNG.

3) Horrible, and i repeat, HORRIBLE item stat structure. I wonder if blizzard even spent any time at all coming up with these items and the stats they have, honestly it's so dull, boring, and tedious. One example is weapons; the only thing that really matters is the dps, and nothing else, and since melees and casters use the same damage formula... it's complete linear and boring.

The only thing I miss is the ability improvements from items, but granted the new mechanics, it is what it is. Everything else is negligible.

-There is absolutely no social aspect to this game at all... 90% of the players currently are either just solo-playing through it, or playing with a group of friends.

I lol'd.

-Game is way to linear. Every play through, the map is the EXACT same, disregarding a few little random dungeons they may have a different layout. What the hell was the point of this?... I thought maps were suppose to be randomly generated? The new progression system also makes the game even more of a complete bore, instead of opening your game and being able to freely go anywhere you choose like in d2, you're stuck picking a certain quest and being forced to go from there, WHY?! who ever thought of this idea, you good sir, failed.

Some areas are random, others aren't. What's the big deal? Also you aren't FORCED to go from there. You can still wander into random areas (even a few random dungeons to fight through which aren't even part of the quest). Are you even playing the game and exploring?

-classes being WAY too imbalanced. Long story short, melee classes get absolutely pooped on in inferno, and there's nothing we can do about it, while range classes at least have a chance to succeed, even in inferior gear.

I've seen people of various classes doing fine in inferno. Even if it came down to kiting as a melee. Stop whining.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]