Diablo® III

Monk mobility

Skilled monks deliver rapid-fire attacks unarmed or with a variety of well-balanced weapons. In combat, they emphasize high maneuverability over staying power, darting in and out of melees and avoiding protracted slugfests.

-From Monk entry in game guide.

Has anyone ACTUALLY witnessed this in game? I find that the majority of the skills required are very defensive in nature, rather than allowing for any form of mobility.

Dashing Strike could be amazing, but the range is so ridiculously short that it ends up being useless. Aside from that, there arent particularly any abilities that allow you to be "arting in and out of melees and avoiding protracted slugfests".

Because of the lack of true mobility, any group of fast, horde, illusion, or invulnerable minions can surround a monk and ensure death. There's no way to avoid that.
Because monks are melee, they need an ability to RELIABLY get them in and out of the fight, rather than just the small teleport/dash on FoT/WotHF to get IN.

The other issues include lack of spirit generation, as almost all the generation moves require the monk to be in melee, and being in melee seems to be a serious problem right now. Something needs to be done to fix that.

Monk's should also not have to be so reliant on their heals, as they are incredibly weak with higher hp pools. If they were to scale based on damage (not hp but damage), like nearly every other skill in the game, they could be used better.

My suggestion is to increase to range on Dashing Strike, changing it to "Dashes to the target location, dealing X% weapon damage on arrival". This could have the root effect also, or merely keep that as a rune. However, this change would allow a monk to dash in, get a few hits off, generate some spirit, dash out.

Increasing the mobility of a monk would allow them to be less reliant on defense (Ie. what the class description ACTUALLY says), while also solving the spirit generation issue (somewhat).

EDIT: Try to be constructive and state how else you could fix/improve the monk class.
Edited by RamstainAU#1558 on 5/23/2012 9:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Agreed. This would help so much when kiting is so important.
Reply Quote
tempest rush pushes enemies aside, and with the tailwind rune increases movement speed while using it by 25%
Reply Quote
Dashing strike has good range IF you have your mouse over and enemy. Otherwise you just jump a few yards. But make no mistake, if you mouse over someone at the edge of the screen and hit the Dash Button, you will clear the entire screen to hit them. I use it constantly.
Edited by Vladthebad#1965 on 5/23/2012 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 10:41 PMPosted by Vladthebad
Dashing strike has good range IF you have your mouse over and enemy. Otherwise you just jump a few yards. But make no mistake, if you mouse over someone at the edge of the screen and hit the Dash Button, you will clear the entire screen to hit them. I use it constantly.

Yeah. But having someone at the edge of your screen to run snap back to is pretty situational as an escape skill. One nifty thing about DS though is that it teleports you to the opposite side of where you started, so if you were encircled, you'd teleport outside the ring of enemies, still within melee range but hey.. if you really want to use DS as an escape skill, there's that.

One trick I used to do was to kick people far away with Lashing Tail (you can rune it for even more distance) and then Dash to them. But that's a total of 55 spirit just to escape, 2 skills, and assuming the enemy you're dashing to actually flew somewhere that's safer than where you are..
Reply Quote
Yeah Frozein, but the whole identity of monks was the mobility and NOT taking all the hits. Thats a major problem.
If Dashing Strike went a good distance WITHOUT targetting something, it would be fantastic. But right now...
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Bebop
tempest rush pushes enemies aside, and with the tailwind rune increases movement speed while using it by 25%

This. I love tempest rush for getting around quickly and for getting out of bad situations. Dashing strike just tends to frustrate me when it doesn't work. The teleport rune on fists of thunder is awesome too.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Bebop

Without that rune it's more like a "Tempest Mosey."

Ive never seen anyone look like they're in less of a hurry while "rushing" than a monk using TR.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]