Diablo® III

Video card stays at 100% usage.

oh, it doesn't act like that on Team Fortress 2. My usage for that is only around 20% and very stable.

however, I ran the GPU monitor on my brother's laptop and the usage was around 50% in the main menu screen. I'm not sure if this is a common thing, perhaps D3 just needs alot of resources to run, coupled with maybe the fact that some of us play D3 for hours on end and that really stresses the card..?

It starts doing this after about 1 minute after I boot the game up.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 03:34 AMPosted by agrue
I had similar problems with a GTX 460. Couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. I installed the oldest drivers I could find on nVidia's site (260.89) and the game is now stable at 60 FPS with maxed settings.

I'm tempted to try this, but I need the newer drivers for Skyrim, and Batman, and BF3. Nvidia vastly improved the performance in those games and many others with the 260.xx drivers.
Reply Quote
I am using a knock off geforce 200 that I got in a discount bin four years ago and put in a 400 dollar media center that my cheap !@# also snagged from a bargain bin. Max settings, 40 frames per second.
Reply Quote
I run 2x 570 GTX from eVGA in SLI. Runs Diablo at 145 FPS no problem. I use max settings to a 27" monitor.

They do run hot.... I may cap the FPS to 60.
Edited by Laurufinwe#1268 on 5/29/2012 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I run 2x 570 GTX from eVGA in SLI. Runs Diablo at 145 FPS no problem. I use max settings to a 27" monitor.

They do run hot.... I may cap the FPS to 60.

Well it's nice to see someone with my setup posting here. Glad yours is working.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
V-Sync is bugged for sure I'm running two gtx 480's and with just v-sync on my fps randomly shoots up over 200 I then back to 60 this happens so fast though it looks like the game is lagging I had to set the frame caps at 60 along with v-sync then its rock solid at 60fps. As long as you have some kind of frame cap in place your gpu's shouldn't be maxing out mine are between 25-30% load each. I can't play the game with out v-sync I get over 250 fps and it looks like my monitor is going to die so much screen tearing. LOL

Edit:
You could try to make a custom sli profile for Diablo 3 with nvidia Inspector it will take some trial and error but its not hard.
Edited by NotSoPsyko#1843 on 5/29/2012 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I was able to reproduce similar fps drops and spikes if I set the Power management setting the Nvidia control panel to adaptive this caused my card to stay in 2D clock while playing Diablo. Fps was stuck at 50 and spiked down to 9... -_- Make sure you have this set to Prefer High Performance.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Psykopathîc
I was able to reproduce similar fps drops and spikes if I set the Power management setting the Nvidia control panel to adaptive this caused my card to stay in 2D clock while playing Diablo. Fps was stuck at 50 and spiked down to 9... -_- Make sure you have this set to Prefer High Performance.

I've already tried putting it in "prefer maximum performance" mode. And setting the frame cap doesn't help me because I cant even get up to 60fps.
Reply Quote
Zer0 - If I force AA using Nvidia Inspector, the cards go crazy so I use in-game AA.
The cards are still not running properly for such a simple task like Diablo 3 though. My guess is it's a Diablo thing that they need to fix. If you use Nvidia Inspector, manually add the diablo III launcher exe file and set Ambient Occlusion Setting to Performance.

I can run any game at 2560x1600 and it works fine, only Diablo 3 makes everything overheat.
Starcraft 2 also did this until I locked the FPS with V-Sync in Nvidia Inspector but this isn't helping in Diablo 3.
ymmv
Edited by furyspitfire#2432 on 5/30/2012 3:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Whats this foreground fps all about? What does it do? Should we reduce it or increase it? Im using an AMD Radeon 6870 1gb Overclocked.
Reply Quote
The 301.24, 301.42 drivers are bad for me too, try 296.10 and see if those are better, I've rolled back to 275.33 drivers which works just fine. The drivers after 296.10 have something called adaptive vsync which is on by default if you suspect this is an issue either force vsync on in the drivers or force it off (not recommended due that it might render alot of frames and the card might burn out if it isn't cooled properly i.e Star Craft 2 main menu bug)
Edited by Herethos#2980 on 5/30/2012 5:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am still running 296.10 by the way with my 570s. They have been really solid for me...
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 03:46 AMPosted by SuperSaiyan4
Whats this foreground fps all about? What does it do? Should we reduce it or increase it? Im using an AMD Radeon 6870 1gb Overclocked.

Well there really no reason to have 150fps. If you have vsync on 60 is as high as it goes anyway. If you don't, just set it to the framerate you like.
Reply Quote
GTX 560 here, same issues ...
Reply Quote
Where can we get some old nvidia drivers ?..
Reply Quote
Same issues and more...

i7 @ 2.8GHz
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
12 gigs of ram
160GB SSD
Reply Quote
maybe the graphics card isnt being supplied with enough power?
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 06:03 AMPosted by Jonvoight
maybe the graphics card isnt being supplied with enough power?

It's an 850 watt power supply with 69 amps on the 12 volt rail.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Mate has a 570 and it is smooth sailing for him. Don't think it's the card in particular that's the issue.
Reply Quote
Blizzard responded to my ticket, here's what they said...

My apologies for the longer than usual wait times you've experienced regarding your ticket. The launch of Diablo 3 has increased wait times quite a bit.

I've read over that entire thread and there is a lot of discussion on that matter. I can tell you this about nvidia and ati drivers at this time. We're working closely with both companies to push an updated stable driver for a number of high end cards that are experiencing issues with D3.

That being said, the biggest successes I've had with this type of issue is what was mentioned by some other posters in that thread. Rolling back the drivers to late 2011 versions. This has improved D3 performance, but as you mentioned could have an impact on other games which require the other updates.

For right now, I would keep an eye on Nvidia's site for additional driver pushes.

If you have any other questions or concerns please click "Reopen Ticket" for further assistance.

Sincerely,
Account & Technical Services Rep Kalelmhat
Customer Services
www.blizzard.com/support
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]