Diablo® III

Gear check, gear check 1,2,3

Just making a comment that we have all probably felt in some way.

Inferno should be relabled gear check mode. It's a bit annoying because to do well in inferno you need the gear that drops from inferno above any other factor (including player ability).

What do you do when you fight elite packs with any of the following abilities - waller, arcane, teleport, molten, mortar, shielding, freezing, etc? I'm going to kite them all the same. I cannot survive the hits even with most defensive abilities. The additional abilities added to the mobs do not really change the way I fight them in a real substantial way. Teleport out of danger and shoot at them. I feel that the original intent for abilities on these mobs was to change the kind of threat they possessed and thus change your play style versus a given threat. At this point it only seems to be a matter of choice between "kite it" or "avoid it." I would say "fight or flight," but it's more of a "flight or flight" imo.

More about the gear - I can do runs through Hell Act 4 and only find 1-2 level 60 blue items (I don't think I found a rare 60 in hell yet) throwing on the MF gear when I can as well. So to progress into inferno you sort-of need those huge DPS weapons we see on the AH for a pile of gold that only drop in inferno (or crafted from level 60 items which drop in inferno). One of the cases were you get what you need after you get there? This makes "progression" seem a bit backwards.

How did the first players get that gear? Perhaps some of them were dedicated good players, but how many of them took advantage of now broken play styles to get high end rewards even if they die a bunch to get it. I wouldn't mind dying 20 times in a row if the items that dropped were able to tip the scales in my favor for a while.
Reply Quote
You're not supposed to ''farm'' inferno after a week of the release. You're supposed to die, again and again, until you finally can get past a certain point. And die again.

Welcome to diablo.
Reply Quote
Just making a comment that we have all probably felt in some way.

Inferno should be relabled gear check mode. It's a bit annoying because to do well in inferno you need the gear that drops from inferno above any other factor (including player ability).

What do you do when you fight elite packs with any of the following abilities - waller, arcane, teleport, molten, mortar, shielding, freezing, etc? I'm going to kite them all the same. I cannot survive the hits even with most defensive abilities. The additional abilities added to the mobs do not really change the way I fight them in a real substantial way. Teleport out of danger and shoot at them. I feel that the original intent for abilities on these mobs was to change the kind of threat they possessed and thus change your play style versus a given threat. At this point it only seems to be a matter of choice between "kite it" or "avoid it." I would say "fight or flight," but it's more of a "flight or flight" imo.

More about the gear - I can do runs through Hell Act 4 and only find 1-2 level 60 blue items (I don't think I found a rare 60 in hell yet) throwing on the MF gear when I can as well. So to progress into inferno you sort-of need those huge DPS weapons we see on the AH for a pile of gold that only drop in inferno (or crafted from level 60 items which drop in inferno). One of the cases were you get what you need after you get there? This makes "progression" seem a bit backwards.

How did the first players get that gear? Perhaps some of them were dedicated good players, but how many of them took advantage of now broken play styles to get high end rewards even if they die a bunch to get it. I wouldn't mind dying 20 times in a row if the items that dropped were able to tip the scales in my favor for a while.

You're right, the items you need to do act 3 and 4 only drop in act 3 and 4. The act 1 / act 2 inferno items are for the most part complete crap compared to the later acts.
Reply Quote
You're not supposed to ''farm'' inferno after a week of the release. You're supposed to die, again and again, until you finally can get past a certain point. And die again.

Welcome to diablo.

People are farming inferno right now. Act 4, aspect of terror miniboss, followed by a few other mini bosses. The point is... getting there prior to fixing "broken" builds was probably really easy. Now it's not. To get there now, you really need the items that drop there. The items that drop in act 1-2 inferno, and act 4 hell, are pretty rough compared to act 4. If you are able to really do well in act 4, you won't even need the items that drop there. It just so backwards.

I'm not asking to farm inferno, I'm asking for non-auction house progression towards it. . As of right now, it appears the only method for me to get to the later inferno acts is to save up a million or two and drop it on an 800+dps 1 hander. I've only been able to find 2 handers with about 650dps in inferno/hell thus far and 1 handers with the 400s.

Clearly the auction house is actually really nice. I just don't want to depend on other people for my own progression. I hope you see the qualitative difference between a complaint about item progression and someone whining about a game being too hard. Further, every response to every elite pack is the same. Kiting all day long doesn't take much skill, honestly. So it's just an item grind from here on out with very little growth as a player. At least that is the way it feels.
Reply Quote
I've admittedly been progressing more slowly than most folks with my wizard but I keep finding stuff in mid-nightmare acts with level requirements around the low thirties. Does anyone else with more experience think gear isn't matching the challenge well (and can provide numbers to consider)?
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 08:43 AMPosted by Beorach
I've admittedly been progressing more slowly than most folks with my wizard but I keep finding stuff in mid-nightmare acts with level requirements around the low thirties. Does anyone else with more experience think gear isn't matching the challenge well (and can provide numbers to consider)?

I thought in d2 certain mobs had the chance to drop any lower level gear. I would imagine if your experiencing that then they are using the same formula.
Reply Quote
I think a great alternative would be to allow us to craft level 60 gear using level 55+ materials. Even if it required 20-30 essences and only had 2 enchants, having the chance at the gear would be enough for me.
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 08:43 AMPosted by Beorach

You're supposed to be in nightmare by 32-35, which is why the nightmare guys drop 30-35 gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]