Diablo® III

120hz monitor vsync locks at 60 fps

I'm having this problem too, nothing seems to fix it. The game seems to simply actually render at 60hz despite what the framerate it claims it's running at is. With vsync off I get around a steady 250 fps. However, it's very obviously not rendering at 250 fps. It's rendering at 60.

Is there anyone who knows if there's a program to make it actually render at 120?
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 05:11 AMPosted by Entoku
05/27/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Fëanor
What's the problem with 60fps? I really don't think you can see much difference between 60 and 120. 60 and 30, yeah, it's night and day, but 60 and 120? No, definitely not.

I assume the game caps the framerate at 60 for some reason or another.

This guy has your answer...the human eye cannot perceive anything over 60fps and 23 is video quality. All your 120 is going to do is enable 3d or dual view if you are running/using anything that even supports either.

This is not true. I've seen the difference between 60fps and 120fps. I can see the difference between 60fps and 90fps too. I don't know where this argument came from, but it simply doesn't pass a simple eye test. Maybe some of us are just lucky enough to be able to see the difference.

WIth that said, I'm also having an issue with FPS not going past 60fps. It's frustrating because D3 is not a very graphically demanding game.
Reply Quote
Hey, I'm experiencing the same. Even sitting on a 240Hz Monitor over here.
Can't get it to go over 60 FPS in neither the built-in counter nor using Fraps.

Blizzard would you please adress this?

All settings are as they should be, both in-game, in Windows, in Nvidia's Control Panel and the actual monitor it self.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
tyrenberg,

We're looking into this issue now. It's not anything to do with your settings from what I can tell so I wouldn't try troubleshooting it on your own at this time. We'll need to give the developers time to investigate and devise a fix when they learn the cause. There's no ETA right now as to how long that might take I'm afraid.

View profile
Before you could enable vsync from your nvidia control panel, that would fix the issue you're having. You can't now. It's impossible.
Reply Quote
A ton of people are having FPS issues from a slew of different operating systems, CPU's, GPU's and so on. Since RoS came out (when i started playing again) i have been dealing with low and or fluctuating FPS, screen-tearing, stutter, and a whole lot of frustration. I have done my research and the FPS/Refresh Rate issue is complex, widespread, and long standing. The FPS problems people are having seem inconsistent with one another and thus i can imagine is hard to diagnose. vsync seems like the only answer to smooth frame rates but it is incredibly buggy and unreliable on a lot of different systems. Some machines run this game perfect, and others seem to fail miserably. I have hope it will get fixed but for now it's just a matter of tweaking CPU/GPU settings and dealing with the awkward FPS. You can always lower the resolution significantly...but then it feels like your playing Diablo 2...but it least it's smooth.
Reply Quote
Yes i also have this issue but it goes further than that. Because since patch 2.0.1 forcing v-sync through Nvidia Inspector is also broken. Blizzard needs to fix this for 120hz monitors.
Reply Quote
04/16/2014 11:12 AMPosted by Omrakos
tyrenberg,

We're looking into this issue now. It's not anything to do with your settings from what I can tell so I wouldn't try troubleshooting it on your own at this time. We'll need to give the developers time to investigate and devise a fix when they learn the cause. There's no ETA right now as to how long that might take I'm afraid.

You used to be able to force VSync externally via the control panel or Nvidia Inspector but you broke this in 2.01, we've been trying to get it fixed for 3 months but we've not even had a blue response.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11883508489
Reply Quote
03/14/2014 09:47 AMPosted by Weaver
I'm having this problem too, nothing seems to fix it. The game seems to simply actually render at 60hz despite what the framerate it claims it's running at is. With vsync off I get around a steady 250 fps. However, it's very obviously not rendering at 250 fps. It's rendering at 60.

Is there anyone who knows if there's a program to make it actually render at 120?

This is the problem I'm having at the moment, and my tests shows that D3 doesn't output more than 60 unique frames per second, even if it shows 200+ on the screen.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12506491687
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10368728391
Edited by Ironclaw#2304 on 4/19/2014 2:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So, can we get a blue on this? IS the game really capped to 60fps or is there something we can do to go beyond the 60fps?
Reply Quote
Love a response here.
Reply Quote
04/25/2014 12:55 PMPosted by Zane
Love a response here.
Will probably never happen.
Reply Quote
So the game renders at 60hz atm, no more and no less?
Reply Quote
pretty sure the game locks you to 60hz no matter what.
I also have 120hz monitor but no matter what 3rd party gfx controller i use to force 120, the on screen FPS counter wont go higher than 60.

also, micro stutter is killing me, worse with vsync off, but ridiculously noticable STILL with vsync on, seems pretty silly with todays gfx engine technology and hardware. hmmmm
Reply Quote
Is this issue still being looked into?

I still looking for answers, currently can we have more than 60 frames per second in the game?

(grating a nice computer, graphic card and a 120 hz monitor)

If yes, how?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Colt ,

I could be wrong but I believe it's fixed internally and just waiting to be incorporated into an upcoming patch. It most likely won't be until 2.1 though.

Reply Quote
06/07/2014 06:11 PMPosted by Omrakos
Colt ,

I could be wrong but I believe it's fixed internally and just waiting to be incorporated into an upcoming patch. It most likely won't be until 2.1 though.

Did they fix the other VSync issue at the same time? The one where you can't force VSync externally using any GPU control panel or application?
Reply Quote
06/07/2014 06:11 PMPosted by Omrakos
Colt ,

WoW, just wow. It's about time. This has bugged me (heh) since 120hz stopped working in early beta over 2 years ago. This took way too long to fix.
Reply Quote
I think this issue is only with nvidia card. I play on a Macbook Pro (on an Intel Iris Pro GPU) and when I change all the settings to low I get like 120-130 fps. I also play on a PC with dual AMD R9 290 and I get constant 180fps on maximum settings. On the other hand I see no difference between using one and 2 cards with crossfire enabled.

06/08/2014 09:20 AMPosted by Alcovitch
WoW, just wow. It's about time. This has bugged me (heh) since 120hz stopped working in early beta over 2 years ago. This took way too long to fix.

Yes WOW, from Blizzard I would rather expect a ban for digging up a necro thread than a reply like this.
Edited by Faktorek#2438 on 6/8/2014 12:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Omrakos! please keep us posted :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]