Diablo® III

Poison Bolts for the Scoundrel

I don't understand this skill, as it actually does less damage than his base. Why would you want him to do 40% weapon damage + 40% over 3 seconds, when a regular 100% damage attack would do more? Am I missing something? Is the 15% damage modifier for followers excluded from skills (or at least this one)? That's the only way I can see this skill doing more damage than a regular attack.
Reply Quote
Same with the Templars ability thats just a 200% damage strike. Both are completely useless with how little damage they do.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
once you stack dex on him he actualy does decent dps
Reply Quote
I think the ability attacks 3 targets.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 09:10 AMPosted by Fizzlenix
once you stack dex on him he actualy does decent dps

Followers stats boost at 2.5 the rate of a normal character so gearing them out helps alot.

Also specificaly for the Scoundrel, if you get multishot he will fire 3 poison bolts and can hit the same enemy with all 3 (needs to be larger enemies of course or up close)
Reply Quote
Another useless skill that blizzard mindlessly put into the game. There's hardly a reason to choose any non cc skill from a follower.
Reply Quote
Nobody has answered my question though. I didn't ask if it's a good skill to use or not, I'm asking why would there be a skill that's WORSE THAN THEIR NORMAL ATTACK? Does the 15% damage "penalty" apply to skills? I'm thinking it doesn't. Which means a normal attack does 15% weapon damage, but this skill literally does do 40% + 40% over 3 seconds, with no 15% penalty.

I can't imagine there's a skill in any video game that does worse than normal attack damage without having a special effect (like reduced speed/damage/armor) along with it.
Edited by PackersFTW#1402 on 5/29/2012 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You're trading 20% damage for Poison type damage. So unless, due to a mobs resists, Poison is 20% better on that mob, then yes this is a silly skill.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Necronous
You're trading 20% damage for Poison type damage. So unless, due to a mobs resists, Poison is 20% better on that mob, then yes this is a silly skill.

It depends how poison stacks, but you're not trading 20% for poison, because only 40% is being done instantly, and that other 40% is over 3 seconds, so you can't just do 40% + 40% = 80%.

I really think that there is something like I said before (15% damage modifier for followers being bypassed for skills), but at the same time, their skills would do a crapload of damage in relation to their normal attack if that were true, and I'm sure somebody would notice.
Reply Quote
I just assumed it couldn't possibly be as stupid as it looks and must be described poorly. No idea what it does.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 10:20 PMPosted by Felio
I just assumed it couldn't possibly be as stupid as it looks and must be described poorly. No idea what it does.

Exactly. There's no way it literally does 40% + 40% over 3 seconds, without there being some kind of catch, such as it bypasses the follower 15% damage modifier. Therefore I'm using this skill, cuz I don't think the skill across from it (slows by 60% for 3 seconds) does any damage. Does it? See we need more info on these skills. Do they do the normal damage PLUS whatever is listed?

If anybody knows anything about either Poison Bolt or the skill to the left of it (does it do any damage?), please chime in.
Reply Quote
It bypasses the damage modifier I believe, like all follower skills. I notice that when my followers use a skill, they actually do some damage if they're properly geared.
Reply Quote
100 Damage Weapon
normal attack does 15% of their weapon = 15 Damage
Poison Bolt does 40% weapon damage + 40% over 3 seconds total 80 damage
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 04:26 AMPosted by Tanoshii
Same with the Templars ability thats just a 200% damage strike. Both are completely useless with how little damage they do.

So, after reading all the posts, it appears the skill quoted above then is far from useless if it does 200%/15% = 13.33x damage of regular attack. Makes me think now that maybe followers do way more damage than people think due to their skills. Or that this this wrong and there's no way a skill would do this much damage.
Reply Quote
There's a ton of skills in this game that could use better descriptions/more info. I highly doubt it's on their list of things to do.

(I highly doubt there's anything on their list of things to do)
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 05:03 AMPosted by Paradox
(I highly doubt there's anything on their list of things to do)

That ludicrous, they need to count their money.
Reply Quote
If it's anything like D2 (and it probably is), the poison DoT proc is RARE to find as a damage type, stacks with poison weapons and charms like crazy, and prevents mobs from healing damage while the drain is in effect, the physical damage analogue being Bleed.
Reply Quote
Just wait for the six socketed emerald polearms and laugh.

Edit: Because it bypasses armor.
Edited by schizomatic#1227 on 6/10/2012 3:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It is a bonus spell attack, on top or replacing his normal attack that isn't reduced 80% like his auto attacks are....I think....

My 6k dps Scoundrel owns face in inferno. He's actually better than partnering with most paper bag squishy players.
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 6/11/2012 12:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I was told that, since it is an active skill, it doesn't replace an auto attack, it casts between them. So essentially, he would be doing that dmg in addition to his normal attacks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]