Diablo® III

Is it possible to just buy a cpu and mb?

I've currently running with a computer that I've had for probably a little over 6 years. I've made small upgrades such as adding ram and new video cards and what not, but I think the possessor is just too slow for anything further. Currently I can run diablo 3, but certain spots and playing with more people can make the game extremely laggy and impossible to play anything in inferno. I'm not much of a computer expert, but I'm hoping it's possible to keep everything I already have and just upgrade the motherboard and processor.

Here is the computer specs minus what I've upgraded
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-3000-celeron/1707-3118_7-31077378.html

I have 2gig of ram currently and a nvida geforce 9400 gt

Is this possible? All help is greatly appreciated
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
No.

You also need to get new RAM sticks as DDR2 is no longer in use by modern systems.

In addition, your case may be using propriety power supplies / propriety case designs that may not work with the off-the-shelf stuff.

If you use SATA interface DVD and hard disk, they may be reused.

You may have to buy a new OS as Dell / HP OS copies are designed to only work with Dell / HP provided motherboard.
Reply Quote
So pretty much I have to buy new everything. I have an ide harddrive, but I know you can buy converters for that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, but if it's an IDE drive, you may be better off buying a SATA drive. It's probably 5400 RPM too.
Reply Quote
05/28/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Kalganized
Yeah, but if it's an IDE drive, you may be better off buying a SATA drive. It's probably 5400 RPM too.

I've been looking at old parts and I think this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116417 could help. I'm not sure if my computer will take it though, I think this here http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-dimension-3000-motherboard-n6381_i_mb4deldimen3000.aspx?agent=pricewatch is my motherboard specs and I think it matches, but I don't understand what the mPGA478 socket means.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't do it.
Pentium 4s are horrible too.

That said, the socket seem to be based on mobile version... None of LGA 775s will work with it.
Reply Quote
Don't do it.
Pentium 4s are horrible too.

That said, the socket seem to be based on mobile version... None of LGA 775s will work with it.

Is there any newer or better processor I can purchase? My computer might be old but it isn't that bad. I can run solo on diablo in most places, but I really need it to be faster so I can avoid getting one shotted in all places. I don't really have 500 plus to spend right now either =/
Edited by Kusk#1598 on 5/28/2012 8:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
No. None of the upgrades that is possible on the motherboard will give you the kind of boost you want.

You don't need to spend $500+ for a complete setup.

See)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4850585139#7
Reply Quote
No. None of the upgrades that is possible on the motherboard will give you the kind of boost you want.

I read your guide but I feel like I can only get your bare minimum one. So with that I feel like it'd get out dated really fast.... right? Also, what exactly do you mean by minimum? Would it get me the minimum specs for playing diablo, or would it put me in the recommended range? And I'm not really sure what fps is, but how would I go about finding what my fps is for the current computer I'm using?

edit: I found out how to check my fps. When I go to the area right before the butcher it bounces mostly in the teens - 20. The highest jump was 30 and the lowest was 6. When I go through mobs and cast a lot it goes lower to the low teens and around 10. When the fps you predict with your build, would that be equivalent to have a lot of monsters around you and casting?
Edited by Kusk#1598 on 5/28/2012 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Even the 'bare minimum' will significantly outperform your current PC.

No, since it is based on current technology, all you have to do is to upgrade the CPU to something like i3-2120 (if you so wanted), then expect about 4~5 years before next upgrade.
Reply Quote
IDE?? No offense OP, but it's 2012. I had a system around 2 years younger that yours (circa 2008) that I still had to scrap and upgrade from scratch. Buy a new system. You'll thank yourself for it.
Reply Quote
Upgrade now, Ram is cheap, hard-drives are going back down.

500$

i5 or FX4/6000 with a 550ti or 7770 maybe a better case?
Reply Quote
what is ur budget.. that is really where it all starts. also newegg is exspencive i think. i use microcenter for my pc parts. and if there is a store near u prices are even cheaper then posted on there website.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 04:33 PMPosted by millerman
what is ur budget.. that is really where it all starts. also newegg is exspencive i think. i use microcenter for my pc parts. and if there is a store near u prices are even cheaper then posted on there website.

Well I was hoping to only spend like 200 and use some of the stuff I already have, but if that isn't optional I can probably go to around 400. Maybe 500
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
$500 can get you a decent gaming PC that could run D3 and other less-intensive games (read: nothing like Battlefield 3) decent.

You checked my guide yeah?
Reply Quote
$500 can get you a decent gaming PC that could run D3 and other less-intensive games (read: nothing like Battlefield 3) decent.

You checked my guide yeah?

I did, and I'm not questioning your knowledge, but if he says things are better priced or a better deal for doing x rather than z then I'd like to check both out. Not understanding a lot about computers, it's nice to hear a lot of opinions. Also, I'm being kinda resistant to splurging on a new build, even though I know that's what I'm probably going to have to do. =/
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Considering your PC as it is, I know you'd rather not have to buy a new PC, but one you buy now will last for years before it becomes unbearably bad.

So might as well. Not like next major CPU/GPU is coming very soon, unless you don't mind waiting almost a year. Right now is a perfect time to get a new PC.
Reply Quote
yeah. every week new stuff comes out. and prices drop. but unless u spend a 1000 bucks on a custom tower u put together urself. its not gonna be worth it. i built my pc 2 years ago for 1200. the only thing i upgraded was my cooler for my cpu from air to liquid.

i have a
i7 920 intel quad core - ez overclocked to 4200Mhz on all 4 cores
2x sli geforce 260gtx cards. were good when i built pc. still plays every game out perfect. including bf3
500gig hd - i just added a 1.5Tb for movies
6 gigs ddr3-2000 tripple channel ram 2000Mhz fast stuff
850w gaming power supply for sli setups
asus p6t mobo
full atx case
i had dvd drive from old pc so im using that. and a 23inch wide screen 1080p hd monitor. and 2 years later im still keeping up with people iwth no problem and havent put a dime into this.

go big or go home i always say
Reply Quote
Considering your PC as it is, I know you'd rather not have to buy a new PC, but one you buy now will last for years before it becomes unbearably bad.

So might as well. Not like next major CPU/GPU is coming very soon, unless you don't mind waiting almost a year. Right now is a perfect time to get a new PC.

So far I have this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/99ux I couldn't find the motherboard you mentioned so I picked one of similar name/ price, and cooler/power source wasn't on there either. Would I be able to sue my nvida geforce gt 9400 in this?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]