Diablo® III

Is it possible to just buy a cpu and mb?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Let me put one together for you instead:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/99xm

(Note it includes Windows 7, which adds $100 to the price)
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 5/30/2012 9:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you live in the states, you want to see if there's a microcenter near you for the mobo and cpu.

Personally I'd save up an additional 250, use the above specs, and get a 7850 GPU also.
Edited by bKSK#1695 on 5/30/2012 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Kusk
what is ur budget.. that is really where it all starts. also newegg is exspencive i think. i use microcenter for my pc parts. and if there is a store near u prices are even cheaper then posted on there website.

Well I was hoping to only spend like 200 and use some of the stuff I already have, but if that isn't optional I can probably go to around 400. Maybe 500

It might not even be possible for u idk just throwing a suggestion out there. I work with alot of guys that cant afford $500 or so upfront for a new pc so I tell them about the newegg credit card. Some people dont like it bcuz they dont want the credit card but it does come in handy if your on a budget. If you spend $500 u get 6months same as cash so its less than $100 a month to get it paid off. They also have a year same as cash but u have to spend $1000 and thats just alot to spend on a PC. Just a friendly suggestion.
Reply Quote
Let me put one together for you instead:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/99xm

(Note it includes Windows 7, which adds $100 to the price)

Thanks a ton! Also, if need be I'll be able to make small upgrades to this in a year or so if I find the extra money sitting around right?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes.

Well, CPU will be limited to Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 CPUs only. Haswell (upcoming Intel CPU in 2013) will use its own socket that won't be compatible with current motherboards. Just the way Intel rolls.

Graphics can be upgraded to any except very high-end. Best you will be able to use will be GeForce GTX 670. You can make do with current card you own (9400 GT), but I would upgrade this first before anything else.

To upgrade RAM, you will have to replace the existing modules as the motherboard (being budget as it is) only supports 2 RAM slots.

If you want to use SSD, SSD will not run at full speed due to the lack of SATA III on this budget board.

The above two issues (RAM and SSD) can be resolved by buying a more expensive motherboard (such as Biostar B75MU3+), but that's about $15 extra.
Reply Quote
Actually, nevermind. Most of the the things from this store are more expensive then the same parts on pcpartpicker. I think I just have one more question though. Is ssd a lot better than a normal harddrive? Thanks again!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you live near a Microcenter, they will give you a bonus discount if you buy an i5-2500k / i5-3570k with a Z77 motherboard.

Any other combination will not give you a discount however.

The price of that discount combo is lot cheaper than anywhere else in the world, but even with the discount, just those two parts alone will cost you ~$280ish.

Far cry from $150ish you pay for a Pentium CPU with a B75 motherboard.

Microcenter is only really good for buying that i5+z77 combo. Otherwise, just buy the rest online elsewhere. The mentioned B75 motherboard can be found at NewEgg (and is cheaper than the offerings you have from MicroCenter... New too)

Refurbished parts are generally OK, but don't buy a refurbished hard disk.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
As for the SSD...

Seeing is believing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiLSXvNaCME
Reply Quote
If you live near a Microcenter, they will give you a bonus discount if you buy an i5-2500k / i5-3570k with a Z77 motherboard.

Any other combination will not give you a discount however.

The price of that discount combo is lot cheaper than anywhere else in the world, but even with the discount, just those two parts alone will cost you ~$280ish.

Far cry from $150ish you pay for a Pentium CPU with a B75 motherboard.

Microcenter is only really good for buying that i5+z77 combo. Otherwise, just buy the rest online elsewhere. The mentioned B75 motherboard can be found at NewEgg (and is cheaper than the offerings you have from MicroCenter... New too)

Refurbished parts are generally OK, but don't buy a refurbished hard disk.

Cpu's are usually about 40 bucks cheaper too. And if you live near one = price parts are much easier and faster to return.

But ya most the mobo's at microcenter don't start at less than 100.

Here's a tip from ordering from NewEgg....make multiple orders don't get the parts shipped together. My last order I got a 650 watt psu and a 670 nvidia card....and they shipped the psu ON TOP of the video card. The gpu's box was caved in (no damage though yay).

You'll see a lot of Doa comments under most of the mobo's listed on newegg, don't let that intimidate you, just get things shipped separate.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Death Knight
Kalganized gives very solid advice on this subject as i've puruzed these forums alot and have seen him giving nothing but a++ advice so I'd trust him Kusk in all he's told you.

Wanted to throw out ther that my mother plays D3 on her laptop she bought last november which only has the intel built in graphics and it plays the game just fine. She doesn't care about seeing everything in ultra high and just likes to be able to play.

So again, this rig http://pcpartpicker.com/p/99xm will def play it :)

It also gives you the option to add a video card later.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Death Knight
Oh one other thought. While it generally isn't a good idea to buy into older tech, you could get away with something like a LGA 775 and save some money. The only issue is that it is already dated, therefore will go out of date much sooner (like a 3 years ish sooner) than building with something more current, like what Kalganized listed.
Reply Quote
As for the SSD...

Seeing is believing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiLSXvNaCME

Hey, I've been saving for the new build and today I got a tiger direct ad in the mail. It showed this computer. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2403675&CatId=4928 It looks similiar to the 900 dollar build you recommended but has a little more stuff I think and is only 800. Is there anything you see wrong with it?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]