Diablo® III

Massive DPS Boss Solo Farming Build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WcXYVj!ceU!YYZbaZ

Edit:
Originally I had used this when farming Ikatsu for exp but with the massive damage output I feel this could be applicable to a number of uses. My "damage" is only around 9k atm and with this build I can get up to over 70,000 DPS in burst intervals. If a level 51 can put out that kind of damage I can only imagine what someone in full Inferno gear could do with this. Also, Rapid fire isn't necessary for this to work, you could really use any skill you want as the focus is on the Caltrops burst potential from being stacked.

Original Post:
Was doing this earlier today after hitting 50 with a good amount of success. Was a bit tricky at first but once I hit 51 and upgraded my gear it quickly become a breeze to do. If you're tired of traditional grinding this spec is amazing for blowing through Ikatsu solo very quickly if you have a friend who can give you the waypoint.

Generally I run to a corner at the start, drop Mark on the floor and 3 Caltrops which are more than sufficient to hold off the little shadow beasts. Whenever Ikatsu finally spawns I'll see which way he's coming from and burn through all my discipline dropping as many Caltrops as I can. Then just sit in the corner and rail him with Rapid Fire. Between the Rapid Fire DPS and the damage from the stacked Caltrops it's generally enough to force him to go straight underground. Use Prep when necessary otherwise just wait it out and regen up your discipline through Bola while he's submerged. One he pops again as long as another stack of Caltrops are down it should burn him down almost instantly. Use SS as necessary for survival, only time I found myself popping it was if he snuck a desecration underneath me.

To maximize your damage potential I'd suggest searching the AH for a lv 60 weapon with a Requirement Reduction of 10. Searching for this I was able to get a decent bow around 500 DPS for about 100k gold. The damage output from the higher level bow is insane for stuff like this. Good luck and happy farming.
Edited by Cowboy#1524 on 5/29/2012 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
no comments?
Reply Quote
Why would you farm him?
Reply Quote
What type of comments are you expecting? It doesn't take long to get to 60, if I made a post about a way to farm from level 8-15 I wouldn't expect any responses either.
Reply Quote
Who is Ikatsu?
Reply Quote
It's not just Ikatsu though, you could use this spec to blow through just about any boss I'd imagine. I'm only lv 51 and I can put out over 70k DPS by doing this, how is that not epic? With full Inferno gear I'd imagine a DH could easily do in the hundred thousands.
Edited by Cowboy#1524 on 5/29/2012 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd imagine

Heh
Edited by Treason#1629 on 5/29/2012 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Treason
I'd imagine

Heh

Wow, is everyone on the DH forums a bunch of smug tools like yourself? I have a lv 60 barb I've been farming inferno with already so I'm not just babbling off nonsense with no practical application. How bout you go try it and then when you cream your pants from how awesome it is you'll come back and show a little courtesy.
Reply Quote
Nether tentacles beats out your idiotic strat of 'stand still and rapid fire the boss'

No one cares about some random sub-60 strat you used to beat a nonfactor boss on a nonfactor difficulty
Reply Quote
Sir you re being more obnoxious than anyone else who has commented on this thread. That aside the build does ok..I used it as well. I would recommend changing the SS rune. The passives could use some adjustment as well. Valley of death works well when placed on top of a caltrop. My personal preference is still contagion. kill one and infect the entire pack without recasting.
Reply Quote
Nether tentacles beats out your idiotic strat of 'stand still and rapid fire the boss'

No one cares about some random sub-60 strat you used to beat a nonfactor boss on a nonfactor difficulty

Yeah, let's all follow the cookie cutter stereotype and spam nether tentacles, I can be a pro like you if I do that, amiright? Also maybe take a second to actually read what I said. Rapid Fire is just a pinch of this builds DPS, the real burst comes from the stacks up Caltrops but I guess that was too advanced of a concept for you to understand.
Edited by Cowboy#1524 on 5/29/2012 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Obviously you have not played Demon hunter or any other "non-tank" class in inferno....try it out and lemme know if you can stand still long enough to get more then 2 ticks of rapid fire before you die :P
Reply Quote
What would you change around with the passives? I'd want to keep custom engineer since that'll double the caltrops duration and since I was focusing around them I figured Cull of the weak was a freebie for an extra 15% dps. Maybe Night Stalker instead of Archery to help fuel a more consistent disc regen. Tried out Perfectionist but didn't see any effect off it since Caltrops cost 6 and I only have 40 Discipline atm.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 03:08 PMPosted by GoReadaBook
Obviously you have not played Demon hunter or any other "non-tank" class in inferno....try it out and lemme know if you can stand still long enough to get more then 2 ticks of rapid fire before you die :P

Once again, why do people keep thinking Rapid Fire is the staple of this build? You could use anything you want really the focus is on the epic dps of stacked caltrops.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Priest
Nether tentacles is better dps. Do inferno on the DH.
Reply Quote
Stacks of caltrops wont work great on packs that teleport and run fast, which most do in inferno. I use caltrops as well, but certainly not as my main source of damage. If you can find a way to keep an elite pack on a circle of caltrops for more than a second or two, I would love to see it.
Reply Quote

Heh

Wow, is everyone on the DH forums a bunch of smug tools like yourself? I have a lv 60 barb I've been farming inferno with already so I'm not just babbling off nonsense with no practical application. How bout you go try it and then when you cream your pants from how awesome it is you'll come back and show a little courtesy.

No, he's not just being smug, he has a point.

Until you actually get to Istaku and see just how many Shadow Beasts Things he spawns, then it's a decent bit of theory crafting, but it will not actually work.

Best example:
If you use SS while facing Istaku, he will disappear like the other Terror Demons in the game and his next attack will be a teleport/insta-gib.
Without actually playing this on Inferno, you might not have realized that (though you might).

It took me about 3-5 minutes of constant running away with the occasional shot backwards to beat him.

When I first faced him, I would try running to a corner and spamming abilities. I tried soloing, with a barb, 4 man party and all had no success. You simply do not have anything wide enough to keep the shadow beasties away (Multishot might do it, but you'd run out of hated stupidly fast).

Edit: It took me more tries to beat Istaku than Rakanoth
Edited by Oug#1687 on 5/29/2012 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Iskatu is easier than that (pre-Inferno, on Inferno you have to kite)... Just stand where you start, drop Caltrops(+damage rune) till you run out of Discipline, Prep, Rain of Vengeance, spam whatever damage stuff. I used Grenades at one point for the lulz.
Edited by Yraen#1995 on 5/29/2012 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Rapid fire, lol.

Yo, this thread about stacked caltrops!
Reply Quote

Yeah, let's all follow the cookie cutter stereotype and spam nether tentacles, I can be a pro like you if I do that, amiright? Also maybe take a second to actually read what I said. Rapid Fire is just a pinch of DPS, the real burst comes from the stacks up Caltrops but I guess that was too advanced of a concept for you to understand.

You're absolutely right. I apologize for making assumptions and suggesting you use the most effective abilities. Instead, we should listen to your suggestion which you assume will work (your intuition must come from your 'Inferno farming' barbarian, right?) on a difficulty you're not in, which supposedly is an ingenious new strategy which no one has tried before. On top of that, now you claim Rapid Fire is simply a 'pinch' of DPS, which suggests burst, of which Rapid Fire is the exact opposite of. Your assumptions of what works and doesn't work in Inferno make me highly skeptical of your barbarian farming anything past the Butcher, if that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]