Diablo® III

Running from USB drive

Running the game off of a 95 mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card (fastest I could find, and expensive), and no change. Don't waste your money. The people whose performance issues are resolved by this have jacked up HDD file structures. That IS user error.

I really hope this idea doesn't popularize where a bunch of people have to waste more of their money because of Blizzard.

"Blizzard".... the ironic name of the people who assess issues like weathermen.
Reply Quote
Didn't work for me either :-(
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
i played around on a removable last night. i was finally able to get thru the aquaducts with an fps of around 8-10, when usually i was about 1-5. Once i was passed that section it was smooth sailing until zoltun's area where it slowed down a little but was still playable. Not a huge difference, but a little better.
Reply Quote
I thought about doing this so i could play where ever i go but i was not sure if it would work.
Reply Quote
I thought about doing this so i could play where ever i go but i was not sure if it would work.
Reply Quote
I'm not going to try the USB 2.0 drive thing (400 Mb/s) and here's why:

I am running on a 2.3 GHz MBP 17" with the ATI 6750M, 16 GB RAM and Crucial M4 SSDs running at 6 Gb/s. I get 29-31 FPS @ 1920x1200 consistently in most areas running with shadows turned off and everything else maxed. Turning shadows on results in a 4-6 FPS reduction.

I can understand that the access latency reduction of a thumbdrive might help some people on really old computers but I can't see it providing anything more than a slight mitigation of the real FPS issue.

Not complaining mind you because I can play just fine but figured that Blizzard should know that the FPS stinks on a true top-of-the-line MBP setup with max RAM and some of the fastest "hard disks" possible in this form factor.

Blizzard can feel free to get in touch via my private email with any questions.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.70f5

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.24
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573

Vendor: Intel
Product: 6 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Capacity: 512.11 GB (512,110,190,592 bytes)
Model: M4-CT512M4SSD2
Revision: 9
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Medium Type: Solid State

no one told you do so -____-"
also this method helps only with people who have a slow HDD since the loading method of Diablo 3 is kinda !@#$ed up...and u have a SSD so you don't need to try this
Reply Quote
This went right along with what I found was helping by using an external drive. Every time the fps would drop I noticed my external light working. So the fps drops were always when the app pulled content from the folders.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
97 Draenei Mage
I wonder if the OP meant running from a USB flash / thumb drive and not specifically an removable hard drive you connect to via USB.
Reply Quote
hello everyone, I too am having stutter problems on my mac so I decided to play on a flash drive.

Im not sure how to put Diablo3 onto the flash or run it from there for that matter. Can anyone help or explain how to transfer the files and which files to transfer from a mac to usb stick ????

Thanks
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 11:22 AMPosted by SgtMofo
The read/write speed of your USB drive is going to impact performance as well. Using a $20 cheapo PNY stick won't work wonders.

Just went to Wal-mart and bought a 16GB PNY stick for 13$.

I am not going to lie. It has worked WONDERS.

First game lag is completely gone (even after fresh reboot).

Still a little bit of lag in places like stonefort and dahlgur oasis, but significantly improved.

Nearly upgraded half the pieces in my computer...

Just to find out it's really Blizzard's faulty design...

Such a shame.

Edit: BTW I am running a PC. don't know why I am posting in MAC forums, just googled this thread.
Edited by Gilga#1738 on 1/21/2013 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Is it better if you install windows on bootcamp?
Reply Quote
I play on 2 different computers, laptop and desktop.

the laptop is Acer Aspire AS5253-BZ602. Has AMD E-350 and 4GB ram. I get ~20 frames on low in Act 1, by Act 3 in Stonefort it bottoms out at 9-10. I can live with it, finished the game multiple times. I have 22Mbps internet coming in and though low frames, lags was minimal.

I built the desktop, Core 2 Duo - E6400, 4GB ram, XFX Radeon 6770, connected wirelessly, Running 1080p on 46" Samsung HDTV. I get 55-60 fps on High/Ultra extra shadows..whatever that extra setting is. This is farther from my router, frames are always good, but lag causes problems more than on the laptop...either way, I'm very satisfied with playability. Oh, the kicker, it has an old 5400rpm laptop hard drive in it hanging by 1 screw, so a USB drive would have to be better right? I'll try, but if it isn't better, than I believe Video Card, Processor, Bandwidth are the most important factors for playing ..in that order.
the flash drive I'll put it on is a 16GB Kingston datatraveler..that little metal looking cool one, I just got it the other day.
Reply Quote
my desktop is connected wirelessly to my router...sorry. I just read my post and it sounds like i have my video card wirelessly connected...lol
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Oh, the kicker, it has an old 5400rpm laptop hard drive in it hanging by 1 screw, so a USB drive would have to be better right? I'll try, but if it isn't better, than I believe Video Card, Processor, Bandwidth are the most important factors for playing ..in that order.
the flash drive I'll put it on is a 16GB Kingston datatraveler..that little metal looking cool one, I just got it the other day.

The reason flash drives tend to help is certain operating systems can cache data to them. The USB controllers when running in OS X are much slower than in Windows, so you might want to update that 5400 RPM drive to an SSD instead. That'll be the biggest performance enhancement you could give yourself.

Reply Quote
04/04/2013 11:43 PMPosted by TheTias
The reason flash drives tend to help is certain operating systems can cache data to them. The USB controllers when running in OS X are much slower than in Windows, so you might want to update that 5400 RPM drive to an SSD instead. That'll be the biggest performance enhancement you could give yourself.

Oh, yeah, agree and will get an SSD for that computer one day, maybe soon. I only have the old laptop drive in it because it was the only sata drive left in my spare parts on the day I built. Now I have quite a few more sata drives, no ssd though. Also, both those computers are running Windows 7 64 pro, I don't have any OS X running computers. I saw you mention that. My main point was that desktop was still running D3 well in spite of the slow harddrive..maybe faster or cached drive won't make a big improvement as I would think.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
04/05/2013 09:27 AMPosted by ErdrickPao
maybe faster or cached drive won't make a big improvement as I would think.

You'd be surprised. You get at most 100 MB/sec or so out of a laptop sized platter based HD. With an SSD, on a laptop with an SATA2 (3 Gbps/sec) connection, you can saturate the bus with a modern SSD, meaning you can get up to 3x the performance of a laptop drive on sequential reads, and the random reads are nearly instantaneous compared to a platter based HD's several milliseconds to seek. Even the Velociraptors can't beat a mediocre SSD.

Reply Quote
i copied the d3 folder to a usb how do i run diablo3 from the usb?
Reply Quote
Does it still work with the new patch ? How big a key do I need then ? Thank you
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]