Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Posted by Caviano
Okay sorry, I'll rephrase,
Combining gems will waste gold (smart people like saving gold for later)
When "later" comes, you'll be finding the gems you've been combining for, on the floor EVERYWHERE.
Don't waste upwards of 100k on combining a bunch of !@#$ty chippies, flawed, flawlesses and such. Waste of time and gold.
(for smart people, if you're dumb, by all means go and combine to your hearts content)
Who's buying gems:
1) People wanted good gems yet haven't progressed as much. E.g. level 30 putting Radiant or even Square gems in a very good weapon.
2) People who don't bother leveling up the Jeweler.
Why is combining gems not "worth" it:
1) Chipped -500 to Flawed, -750 to regular, -1250 to Flawless, -2000 to Perfect, -3500 to Radiant. So if you've been combining your own gems, to get a radiant, you spend at least 3500g. So any Radiant selling less than 3500g is cheaper than your own combine. Plus, you could sell your three Perfect gems for less than 2000 (say you sell them for 1000 each), and use that 3000g to buy your Radiant.
And if you've been combining all your gems from chipped ever since you got your first gem, and have been removing those gems off gear instead of just disposing of them, then each Radiant you have cost about 8000g.
At the moment a Radiant Ruby sells for about 2000g on the auction house.
2) For those in later difficulties, gems drop like candy. Yes they do drop. You pick up those gems for free, and you sell them on the AH.
That, is why you should never do your own combines. If you cannot pick them up as a drop, you most possibly can buy them off the auction house for cheaper than you can combine them.
I say do what you want.
But keep in mind... it will take you exactly 1,594,323 chips to 'build' a Radiant Star Jewel.
^That's not a troll, I'm serious.
So when you account for the combining costs: 531,441 activations of the Jewel Combiner for 500gp - that stack of 531441 Flawed Gems at step 2 of the 14 rank climb for a single Radiant Star Jewel just cost you 2,657,205gp...177,147 times at 750gp each to turn those into into regular Gems for 132,860,250gp...
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.