Diablo® III

How I Fixed Diablo 3 FPS Slowdowns

Like many other Mac users, after 4-5 mins of gameplay, the game would slow down to a crawl. Looking at the forums, I saw I was not the only ones with the same problem. I ended up fixing the problem myself by doing numerous things both Inside and Outside of Diablo.

In Diablo 3
I set my display to full screen
resolution to 960x600 (or whatever your native resolution is)
Check - Vertical Sync
Check - Max Forground FPS and set to 50
Check - Max Background and set to 1
Set Texture Quality to Low
Set Shadow Quality to off
Set Physics to Low
Set Clutter Density to Off
Make sure Anti-Aliasing is OFF
Check Low Fx

Exit the game and now do into System Preferences in Mac OSX
Go to Energy Saver and make sure Automatic graphics swithing is unchecked!

Now its time to edit the config file for Diablo III
You will have to edit a diablo preference file in
/Users/<<<Your User name goes here>>>/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Diablo III/D3Prefs.txt

To get there the EZ way (because its a hidden file)

Click on the background of your desktop to make sure you in the "Finder Menu"
- Hold Down the Option Key and hit GO, then click Library (should show up under home)
- Open the Application Support Folder
- Open the Blizzard Folder
- Open The Diablo III Folder
- You will see a file called D3Prefs.txt open that with your text editor
- You will see a line that says DisableTrilinearFiltering "0" change this to DisableTrilinearFiltering "1"
- save file!

My Specs are 2.66 Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro, 8 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, OSX Lion.

I Hope this helps everyone in the mean time until we get a patch to fix this issue!
Edited by SoulReaper#1282 on 5/17/2012 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Please let people know if this worked for you! This worked for a few people so far. Any info that it worked or didn't work should help blizzard fix the issue in future patches!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

My Specs are 2.66 Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro, 8 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, OSX Lion.

And that is why it worked for you, and wont work for the majority of users, since the problems are with the 9400M chipset.
Reply Quote
THANK YOU.

This worked for me. I think this will be able to sustain me until Blizz actually fixes it.

Note: It still lags every now and then but only during really intense encounters (lots of stuff on screen).

Using a 15-inch MBP 2011 model.

Cheers mate!
Reply Quote
I noticed instead of 5 mins of it slowing down to a crawl I get 40 mins till it does at 1920x1200. Im sure ill have to switch to 800 x 600 to make it fast for an hour +.

There is definitely a memory leak in the program, which I'm sure they will fix eventually. Once your game starts slowing down to a craw,l you have to reset your computer every time or else its a guarantee slow down from the start of the game.

This is not a complete fix by any means but at least the game is playable... The funny thing is if your a WD, you won't have to reset the game as much as a wizard or demon hunter, due to the graphical effects.

Also I notice if you don't play in public games, your game will run smoother for a longer time..

I hope blizzard fixes this soon, but in the mean time at least we can play some :)
Reply Quote

And that is why it worked for you, and wont work for the majority of users, since the problems are with the 9400M chipset.

Well it might work for you too.. basically we are disabling a graphics option that is not even in the diablo settings. I tested this on my iMac too and saw improvement.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Well, did the step anyway, and ust as i feared....no difference at all. Someone else with a 9400M can try it, but dont get your hopes up, it did not change anything for me.

And yes...this tip has been established for awhile. People with multiple chipsets CAN get a boost in performance by making sure OS X is NOT using the 9400M chip while in D3, so you are correct, but we are aware of this.

Unfortunately, many of us ONLY have the 9400M, so there is no option to do this, and the game will ONLY run on the 9400M (since its the only chip we have).

So i appreciate your effort to help out some, but there are still many of us who SOL because of our 9400M, which Blizz lists as "supported" even though it shouldnt.
Reply Quote
I went to try this with my GeForce 9400 iMac, only to find the servers are down for maintenance. D'oh!
Reply Quote
12 Tauren Paladin
THANK YOU.

This worked for me. I think this will be able to sustain me until Blizz actually fixes it.

Note: It still lags every now and then but only during really intense encounters (lots of stuff on screen).

Cheers mate!

This is going way to extreme for 2011 model. For this model you might just want to disable max foreground FPS and set highest resolution with VSYNC On. Rest of the settings should be default. The above method is more for 2009 and below machines.
Edited by Bindas#1802 on 5/17/2012 5:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Didn't work for me, I'm on a 8600M GT. But then again, I hover around 20FPS and rarely go below that, and when I do, waiting in town or outside the game for a moment helps. Thanks for trying though!
Reply Quote
Well, did the step anyway, and ust as i feared....no difference at all. Someone else with a 9400M can try it, but dont get your hopes up, it did not change anything for me.

And yes...this tip has been established for awhile. People with multiple chipsets CAN get a boost in performance by making sure OS X is NOT using the 9400M chip while in D3, so you are correct, but we are aware of this.

Unfortunately, many of us ONLY have the 9400M, so there is no option to do this, and the game will ONLY run on the 9400M (since its the only chip we have).

So i appreciate your effort to help out some, but there are still many of us who SOL because of our 9400M, which Blizz lists as "supported" even though it shouldnt.

Seems ATI graphics cards are having 0 issues, just the Gforces... if your in the hacking mode you can always play with these settings.. but I would recommend backing up the file first..

HardwareClass "3"
PCIVendor "4318"
PCIDevice "2601"
Reply Quote
I'm surprised there are issues with 330M. Considering I manage to play it with HD3000 without editing the prefs files
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Priest
I'm using a Late 2011 Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM (17inch model),
and I get low fps issues. Like 8fps when there are lots of mobs,
so I'll try this out later.

I read that 9400M users are having problems, but even the users with latest Macs are having fps issues, so any kind of suggestion which would temporarily resolve it until Blizzard releases a fix is always appreciated.

I'll try this after the server maintenance is over.
Edited by Mason#1215 on 5/17/2012 5:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thats bc you ati graphics chip
Reply Quote
I wonder how big is the mac gamers database, as I would really expect Bliz to hop on it quicker as it was known from the days of beta. Patiently waiting...
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 04:59 AMPosted by WRKRPARASITE
I went to try this with my GeForce 9400 iMac, only to find the servers are down for maintenance. D'oh!

I have a 9400M on my macbook. Did this work for you on your iMac? Or did it work for anybody else who has a 9400M? Thanks.
Reply Quote
THANK YOU.

Cheers mate!

This is going way to extreme for 2011 model. For this model you might just want to disable max foreground FPS and set highest resolution with VSYNC On. Rest of the settings should be default. The above method is more for 2009 and below machines.

I'll try this out. Thanks for the tip!
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 05:41 AMPosted by distance5k

I have a 9400M on my macbook. Did this work for you on your iMac? Or did it work for anybody else who has a 9400M? Thanks.

9400M = Mobile version (For laptops)

9400 = Non-mobile to desktops

I tried the game one my iMac with a 9400, too. It definitely ran a little bit better, but I would credit that to the superior system, not the card. It was still too laggy at any reasonable setting.
Reply Quote
I'm on the 9400m chipset and this worked for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]