Diablo® III

Blizzard writing cliche stories

90 Troll Hunter
What's up with this? I know SC2 had a terribly cliche plot and painfully corny dialogue and missions that felt like they were written by the WoW quest team...and from what I've read about D3 (still on act 1 so no spoilers please) it is very similar. Why would Blizzard do this? I still respect them above most other companies, but I thought they were better than this. It seems like the rich and interesting lore they started their games on are just becoming Hollywood-ized.

Any thoughts or explanations? I'd prefer to avoid bashing the company, I'm just incredibly disappointed.
Edited by FellishBeast#1410 on 5/17/2012 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Stories is that one area Blizzard STILL hasn't mastered... well actually they got worse. I actually liked the Warcraft story and lore until WoW butchered it, the first SC and especially Brood War was good, Sc 2... i'm on the fence. the artefact story obviously is bad (they Zerg Overmind is actually the good guy here? LOL) BUT the rebellion story, I actually liked. Diablo 3... Diablo 1 and 2 wern't exactly amazing stories either, BUT the story telling and dark atmosphere REALLY made it good. D3 lacks the dark atmosphere and same level of storytelling....
Edited by DeusXEffect#1411 on 5/17/2012 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
To me it seems whoever made up the stories and writing for first sc and diablo isnt part of blizzard anymore or something, and whoever is in charge now is just butchering the old and better stories :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Yeah I mostly agree.

I never actually finished the first two Diablos (don't hurt me D:), but they had this feeling of epic mystery and darkness. Could have been the old timey graphics, but idk. I'm not hating D3 yet, but SC2 I really didn't like. I loved the story-telling in SC1 so much more. More gritty, more interesting, more epic. Despite the fact that Blizzard has made leaps and bounds in other ways, they seem to have betrayed some of the key aspects of adoration we had for the old games. Every mission felt like it meant something in SC1 and Brood War. SC2 felt mostly like WoW quests. And Raynor and Kerrigan felt completely overhauled (in a bad way).

I'm not digging the corny dialogue in their new games either :/

Still love them, though. I still remember Warcraft II :) (maybe it's only awesome through my nostalgia goggles but idc. That game was almost as dark as Diablo, lol. NOW look at it :P)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Keyword for plots in videogames is ''functionnal''. The intricate plots of TOR still boiled down to ''get kill this guy with a spiffy armor in a cave''.
Reply Quote
I agree with the people here. Diablo 3's storyline was simply poor and flat.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I feel like the older stories from Blizzard were actually simpler, but more interesting. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Perhaps we just had lower standards then and since they've been so successful we are expecting them to be better than they are. Again, I want to stress that I do not believe Blizzard is devoid of talent. They may think they have no need to "prove" themselves anymore.

I'm not sure if I have actually been hating their plotlines, or simply the way they have been executing them, i.e. corny dialogue, cliche plot devices, weird in-game cinematics. I miss the random blips of things we'd see in SC1 cinematics. "I love you Sarge." That had NOTHING to do with the plot, but it was one of the most memorable moments to me. Now I'm realizing that scene was sort of corny, but in the Blizzard sort of way, not the cliche Hollywood sort of way. Eeegh, I'm confusing myself.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Say what you want, the Scoundrel's story was my favorite in the whole game.
Reply Quote
Its not totally cliche.

A CLiche ending would have been diablo dying and Leah popping out at the end all alive. Imperius would be dragged away as a criminal and Tyrael would "reluctantly" rejoined the Angels. Adria would be dead.

Just because the ending cinematic was cliche doesnt mean the whole story was, stop circlejerking. It was a bad, a terrible story but it was pretty atypical.
Reply Quote
I know Blizzard has turned their "Hype Machine" in to a art form, but I don't know what everyone was expecting. The Story telling was at the very least equal to the previous Diablos.
Reply Quote
My favourite RPG storyline was Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer :) That was epic.
Reply Quote
NWN2 MOTN was better the first time, when it was called Planescape Torment, but yeah that was good. NWN2:OC was just painful, still story was better than this. Gameplay wasn't obvi.
Reply Quote
I was thinking of NWN:HOTU when I got to the Shadow Zone or whatever that was.

I love Diablo games, but the stories are laughably bad. I'm not a snob or anything either, I looooove the Warhammer books and some of the SW novels (e.g. the Bane and Thrawn trilogies) and that stuff's complete pulp fiction. Blizzard just doesn't have a single person on its staff capable of writing decently. Their games are still great, but there's a reason so many people mash the "escape" button when the dialogue comes up.

The CG scenes were done really well in this one though. I thought they were neat.
Reply Quote
They are working on NWN3 and re-releasing Baldurs Gate (could be a sequel also on the horizon). Great RPGs!
Reply Quote
Looking back, however, D3 feels WoW-like. I thought at least add some atmosphere in.
Reply Quote
Dude spoiler alert! Damnit Diosys. :/
Reply Quote
Ya know wat, four days ago when I accidently read a spoiler about the Act 3 boss, I was mad as hell. But having played through the game I can honestly say, this agme wasnt made to follow the storyu of Sanctuary at all, its less QQ more PEWPEW
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]