Diablo® III

Need some Mac advice. Lag issue. Please help.

100 Blood Elf Rogue
While playing D3, I'm experiencing a little bit of lag and I need some advice on how/if I can alleviate the issue.

The lag I'm experiencing is this.. It runs smoothly for about 5 seconds, then I get about 6-10 seconds of slow/sluggish visuals and response time.. and then it catches up and is smooth for another 5 seconds only to repeat itself again. You can imagine how frustrating this is.

I was wondering if this sounds like a hardware issue, or a network issue.

I run on a constant 17Mbps down / 2.5Mbps up connection. I don't know if this information helps at all.

As for the hardware, I expected a little bit of lag anyway because I'm playing on my Late 2008 15" Unibody MacBook Pro.

-Specs-
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
VRAM: 256 MB
Hard Drive: Hitachi HTS543225L9SA02:
Capacity: 250.06 GB (250,059,350,016 bytes)
Model: Hitachi HTS543225L9SA02
Revision: FBEAC50F
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 5400
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
Available Hard Drive Space: 11.34 GB

If you need any more information to help me out, please say so. I don't know exactly what kind of information is necessary and what is not.

I talked to a friend at work, and he said upgrading my hard drive would probably help. So I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856

Would that solve anything? If not, what will?

I'm looking for any sort of solution that will at least make the game playable until later this summer when I can afford to either build a gaming desktop or buy one of the new rumored/unreleased iMacs.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Sounds like it might be overheating.

I am not sure what program out there can detect the temperature of the graphics card on Mac hardware though.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
According to the iStat Pro widget, my GPU is running at 73 degrees and my CPU is running at 82 degrees while the lag is occurring. Not sure what that says about the heat.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
CPU is running a bit too hot. Needs to find a way to cool it down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]