Diablo® III

Sign if you think the new whirlwind sucks

It only goes like 2 feet. The old whirlwind was WAY more fun. What do you think of the new whirlwind compared to the diablo 2 whirlwind?

Speculation:
I think the small ww distance is to make the barb more like the wow warrior.
Reply Quote
Wait until you have a nearly full bar of fury to use it. Hold down the button - you can go quite far.

It just doesn't work like DII in the sense that a single click != "cost to move to mouse." You need to hold it and it consumes "x" fury per second. If you just click you'll only go 2 feet, and if you've only got 16-32ish fury you won't go far either.

The distance/cost feels fine - but the damage is pretty pathetic compared to other skills.
Reply Quote
ya its pretty much a warrior character from WOW.
cool didnt know thats how WW worked, no wonder i never go far
Edited by Slice#1482 on 5/17/2012 9:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree, the new version of whirlwind is pretty underwhelming, the damage is not so great for the cost that it has :(
Reply Quote
I tried it once and shelved it. Not a great ability at all.
Reply Quote
Don't like it! Wish it did more damage or didn't run out of fury so fast!
Reply Quote
I just think the fury cost should be knocked down to about 10 and it will be fine.
Reply Quote
Well, I personally love whirlwind, due to I like my, on hit health gen. I use mighty weapons with the Weapon master passive. If you have a large group (which you should if you're whirlwinding) you gain enough fury to forever spin, and you gain large amounts of health. Just my input
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WhYQkP!bdY!ZZZaa

That's my WW build as a 33 in nightmare. It's basically (assuming you have full fury)....WW in, Warcry when its low to keep up fury for a longer spin. Ground Stomp, overpower, WW until empty and hit with frenzy to finish them out.

Works like a charm. I'm sword/shield and kill quickly, while having great defense.

Edit: I sometimes swap out Wrath of Berserk for Call of Ancients. It's better defense and they take mobs off your hand if your crowd gets out of hand. To be honest, I almost prefer it.
Edited by Palooza#1646 on 5/18/2012 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You have to build around it to make it viable in the slightest, meaning you have to have a main hand mighty weapon with weapons master in. Otherwise the fury cost is just so prohibitively high that it does not work. It can be very effective with a lot of +health on hit though. Get weapons with some and socket in higher level amethysts (which are absurdly cheap on the AH) and you can easily get up to +100 health per hit.
Reply Quote
Eh, the only way to make WW even slightly viable is via Wind Shear rune for WW, Max Fury, use Mighty Weapons with Weapon Master and Animosity talents.
Reply Quote
It only goes like 2 feet. The old whirlwind was WAY more fun. What do you think of the new whirlwind compared to the diablo 2 whirlwind?

Speculation:
I think the small ww distance is to make the barb more like the wow warrior.

You are doing it wrongly. With full Fury, WW can go through like at least ~1/3 of the screen. Just right click and hold it at a distance from you barb and you will see.

I suspect at least half of those complaining WW don't know how to WW properly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]