Diablo® III

Tower of The Damned/Act III [Spoilerish?}

WONDERING:

Within the area, WHAT are those titanic figures?

Is there any lore on them in game that I missed? Why are they imprisoned?

Those would make some GNARLY bosses for an expansion.
Reply Quote
Anima from FFX instantly came to mind upon seeing them.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
My guess is that they were some of the original Nephalem.

I remember reading somewhere that the original Nephalem (or possibly the biblical Nephilim) were giants and it (kind of) makes sense that Cydaea would be torturing them.
Reply Quote
My guess is that they were some of the original Nephalem.

I remember reading somewhere that the original Nephalem (or possibly the biblical Nephilim) were giants and it (kind of) makes sense that Cydaea would be torturing them.

Bull-Kathos (and IIRC Rathma) were also Nephilem/phalem and they basically looked like humans though.
Reply Quote
There is a lore book that drops near them saying that they are big demons and that azmodan rips off their skin to make structures and stuff.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I haven't found the lore drop, but if you notice their backs, they have what look to be burnt or torn wing-like protrusions.
Reply Quote
It was pretty much disturbing. Like Saxo said, they reminded me of Anima from Final Fantasy X - you know, a gigantic figure chained and tormented.

I haven't found the lore book either but what are they called?
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Druid
It was God of War cheese
Reply Quote
I didn't get a lore drop for that area either, was expecting some explanation regarding them.
Reply Quote
But easily one of the best (in terms of design) areas in Diablo 3. Everything about it screams Hell in the sense of our concept of Hell, where souls are damned and tortured forever. What we've seen as Hell in Diablo so far are only fires, death/demonic imagery, and hosts of demons.

It was the only area in Diablo 3 that did the atmosphere right.
Reply Quote
The tower of the Damned... Cydae can only guess the time I have spent glaring blatantly at the tortured figures that laid in the fiery gaps of this hellish construction. There they would forever moan and groan in pain, twitching under the chains that held them. I have seen one who's eyes were being rip out from their sockets, others who seemed to wear sadomasochistic masks and other accessories. To me, these creatures screamed Silent Hill, Amnesia, Cry of Fear. (''Receiver, Receiver, Receiver...'', for those that wondered.)

They didn't have any peculiar purpose... Except chilling your bones, their distorted faces remaining in your mind until they lead you to madness. And their screams...
They definitely were worthy of Her Lady of Lust.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
#1 Did anyone think SLAANESH?
#2 I noticed most of them were moving, but there was in fact one that was dead.

#3 speaking of God of War cheese, it would have been neat if you could have freed one, like a Titan.
Reply Quote
@Garamsythe : As for point two, I'd like a screenshot. In fact they interest me a lot and I plan on including them in an upcoming fiction. As they say, ''pics or it didn't happen''.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
There were at least three dead ones, all in the area where you fight Cydaea... Looks like she used them for the Sin Heart or something. XD SUCH a cool area!
Reply Quote
I asked this in the general discussion area but didn't get a solid response. I'm leaning towards nephelim or angels that have been captured. The bone protrusions on some of their backs could easily be where their wings had gotten cut off a la ArchAngel in the comics (after they'd been poisoned but before he joined the 4 horsemen) and the masks and other items lead me to believe a hatred there, though hatred amonsgt demon kind is a known given.

But easily one of the best (in terms of design) areas in Diablo 3. Everything about it screams Hell in the sense of our concept of Hell, where souls are damned and tortured forever. What we've seen as Hell in Diablo so far are only fires, death/demonic imagery, and hosts of demons.

It was the only area in Diablo 3 that did the atmosphere right.
This is every way possible. That area was amazing and incredible, kudos to whoever designed it, I spent about an hour after I cleared the area, just looking at them and wondering about them. The best area in any Blizzard game by far, and better than most games can pull off.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm on Tower of the Damned Level 2. I was running past one of the massive guys in the middle and Eirena said:
"Do you see that massive daemon just off our path? It is one of the flayed -- an unwilling servant of Azmodan. The others torture it by ripping its skin off in large sheaths. Thy use it to build their terrible structures."
Reply Quote
This was the only area of the game that truly interested me. It was actually sinister looking and had an evil look to it...
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
05/26/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Youcoulddie
This was the only area of the game that truly interested me. It was actually sinister looking and had an evil look to it...

Act III was the best act of the 4, Act I is the second best.
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Garamsythe
Act III was the best act of the 4, Act I is the second best.

I agree entirely with this. My favorite part of this game starts with Belial and ends with the end of Act 3. I'd honestly say 3>1>4>2.

I've wondered about those too. I agree that the design of this level is absolutely breathtaking. I mean, I find myself cringing just looking at them. It really is truly terrifying. Whoever came up with the idea is really a genius. I don't think I've ever felt so emotionally connected to a level in a game. I stopped to stare at one for a moment and I -physically- felt a reaction to the amount of agony in its body language and expression. I nearly felt sick to my stomach. It's amazing immersion.
Reply Quote
WONDERING:

Within the area, WHAT are those titanic figures?

Is there any lore on them in game that I missed? Why are they imprisoned?

Those would make some GNARLY bosses for an expansion.

they are skin demons, the demons farm them for their skin, which is used to pave the roads you walk on in the towers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]