Diablo® III

Dying to often in nightmare

25 Undead Rogue
I'm level 44 (just about to hit 45), and since I started playing Nightmare I've died alot... but I mean like 25 times in 2 days... is that normal?

This is my current build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#acYdfT!ceb!bZbZbZ

I'm ALWAYS playing with my brother, he's a barbarian, he only died 3 times! He usually leaps and do hos aggro thing + a snare (stun?), then from afar I basically Rapid Fire until I'm out of Hatred, and replenish with Hungering Arrow, and so on... and that's when it's easy! When they start heading for me, then it's Caltrop time, Vault and I try the usual routine again.

Thing is, I've noticed whenever any mob hit me, my health basically drop per 20% to 33%... I can maybe take 3 to 5 hits before I'm dead! I currently got:

616 dexterity
469 vitality

Giving me: 1338DPS (which seem more than enough atm)

Any insight guys? thanks
Reply Quote
Wait until Hell :)

Stats are not the issue, DH have crap survivability. Your only way to beat higher difficulties is to avoid damage entirely by playing really well. Also you may want to try out the heavy Discipline builds that give you ridiculous survivability. Something like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYVdX!TYe!caZYZZ
Reply Quote

Stats are not the issue, DH have crap survivability.

We were all high n mighty going into act 1 hell... until we got our first yellow mortar. OMMFG the pain.... the pain we felt. ouch.

lvl 52 @5-6k without crit/archery bonus with 12k hp. going to be tweaking stats a lot and picking up more armor thats for sure >.<
Reply Quote
Im lvl 44 just about to start NM act3... I have the same stats as you and it is concerning that you are dying but your barb friends does not. When I play the tanks usually suffer because Im not helping mitigate enough damage...

As a DH you have no surviveability. Weakest survive in the game if you ask me, just use the abilities given to you to get the feck out of there.

I'd keep smoke-screen (with tactical advantage) + caltrops + preperationbattlescars for survival alone. I personally use marked for death as my 4th skill as it is the most cost-effective ability in the game and works both for single-target and for AoE mildy.

I don't understand your primary and 2nd skills also. You've essentially got 2 aoe arrows... Just narrow it down to 1 for aoe (I went with volotile Bola) and 1 for heavy fronloading... impale with chemical burn I mean. Rapid fire isn't strictly bad but it requires you to stand still for too long to be properly effective in the harder modes if you ask me. The nature of move-stop makes impale a better option IMO.

Get tactical advantage also, the description doesn't look like much but that speed boost is the difference between wasting an ability and actually getting you the !@#$ out of there quickly and back in position for damage.

Frankly I'm not surprised you are dying that often. The build looks to spread and not enough survive. Smoke>vault if you ask me, especially with preperation for that discipline boost imo.
Reply Quote
Its only NM, just go with and 'all dmg' build with smokescreen and your set. Bosses and rares are a joke with impale (+stun). And for hell you can do the same (cant stun bosses thought), you'll only need to kite a bit againt some elites.

PD: DH has the best survavility, 3-6 sec invencibility+invisibility with smokecreen is bs.
Edited by Vulcan#1272 on 5/18/2012 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
DH do have the worst surviveability, they are the only class without a damage reduction barbs and monks have 30% built in passive while wizards and witch doctors get a passive 20% damage reduction skill. DH get nothing like that. DH have to work the hardest to stay alive.
Edited by Bakuzar#1295 on 5/18/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Stats are not the issue, DH have crap survivability. Your only way to beat higher difficulties is to avoid damage entirely by playing really well. Also you may want to try out the heavy Discipline builds that give you ridiculous survivability. Something like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYVdX!TYe!caZYZZ

I totally agree with Nathonas. Stats is not the issue. You CAN NOT get hit at all in NM.

When I 1st got into NM I didn't really see it to be difficult until Act 2 and hollyy shiitt! I died alot. ALOT ALOT!! I use Caltrops with Hooking Grips to really slow them down and Smoke screen WITH SPEED to get away fast enough so I can plant myself and bring the rain. KITE KITE KITE KITE you might kite them half way across the map, but when it's all done you'lll have them RARES. Just stay alive. Survive > Dmg. I'd rather spend 30 mins KILLING a boss instead of dying 10-25 times.

I recently got into Act 1 Hell and I'm pushing 7k DMG. Im doing alot better now. NM blues are better then Normal Rares. Keep an eye out!

I'm not a fan of Vault. Id rather use Smoke screen with the speed cause your invis + you run fast.

I run
Caltrops
Smoke Screen

Multi Shot
Rapid Fire
Hungering arrow
Bola Shot
Edited by SummiX#1780 on 5/18/2012 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Question for you higher ups..

I don't mind the DH being required to play well in order to survive. In fact, I really enjoy that aspect.

Problem is, is it worth it? Can the DH do more damage than the rest? What do they bring to the table at high levels that makes their crap survivability pay off?

Or are they (and I hope not) just not one of the better classes..
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
personally like smokes screen caltrops spiked mine and the aoe hunter mark make for massive aoe kitting into a bomb feild of death

set your stuff run them into everythign dies pretty fast but as for nm mode you only die alot in groupd games sense the mobs have such a huge damage bonus with more players dodge doesnt kick in when you want it too and wizard have int with add resistance to even phyisacl so if your gunna group for nm your gunna have high chance of dieing my adive is stay away from jailers with vortex pretty much gaurentee death especialy if its a demon of naga with teleport built in
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Hi! There are some AOE choices you made I think could be better. Let me explain.

Here's the build I use: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bcYdTl!Ycb!abZbZ

First, the passive skills:

-Cull of the weak makes slowed enemies take more damage. This is especially good with Caltrops and Chain Gang(On Entangling shot)

-Steady aim doesn't need explaining

-Vengeance is good because with Rapid Fire runed as Fire Support, you consume a lot of hatred, which leads me to the abilities:

-Entangling shot makes your ennemies slower, and Chaing Gang takes more ennemies in its path.

-Rapid Fire runed as Fire Support recquires more hatred, but with this spec your hatred regen is way better because of the bat and your Entangling shot.

-Caltrops is good especially with Torturous Ground since you can mix it with both Rapid Fire and Rain of Vengeance.

-The Bat Companion makes your hatred regen wayyyyy faster, since it replenishes 3 per second. You simply need it with this build. As soon as the bat dies, pop another one!

-Finally, but none the least, is your Rain of Vengeance. People seem to forget that this spell has NO COST. No disc, no hatred, which means you can call it whenever your cooldown is up.

For huge crowds, you can Vault in, set a Caltrops, call Rain of Vengeance, Vault out, and then Rapid Fire the lots of them.

Believe me, this build is the best aoe build out there. With this, you'll build an insane amount of damage.
Edited by Fablemad#1638 on 5/18/2012 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Orc Warrior
I have played with several specs and abilities trying to master the avoidance of dmg and this spec seems to outshine anything i have tried with my playstyle.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bcYVkl!Yec!YZZbZZ

The only time i die in nightmare atm is when something jumps on me and 1shots me without me paying attention. Without distractions i do not get touched vs trash.

Just to walk you through the reasoning of my spec even though it is obvious.

Ent Shot to slow and i max my hate. When I am not rapid shooting i am avoiding dmg. Therefore this fills both slots.
Rapid fire with slow- Does a ton of dmg slows which is great and the slow boosts my dmg.
Caltrops with the root. Keeps them off me spam it freely.
Prep with the heal. Everyone gets caught once in awhile it is nice to have that heal to catch you up.
Sentry works well with the root from caltrops and when your kiting it still does dmg.
Rain of veng is free. Yes free spell and i use it with my sentry and caltrops to do a ton of dmg without risking any dmg to me and while i build up my hate.

I hope this helps...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
P.S.: Everyone that puts Smoke Screen and Vault at the same time is a noob, so don't listen to SuMmiX
Reply Quote
05/18/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Strength
P.S.: Everyone that puts Smoke Screen and Vault at the same time is a noob, so don't listen to SuMmiX

Not true at all. You really don't need all 6 spaces in any given fight and SS and Vault have different uses that can both be utilized. I personally like Vault against melee mobs because it's an instant way to gtfo and start shooting again whereas SS is better for ranged mobs or CC because it breaks it. Personally I hardly ever use both (or SS at all) but it's definitely not a bad idea for someone who wants optimal escapes in every situation. Especially considering you really only need 2-3 damage spells in your build and have a lot of slots left over.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
There are many spells out there that can be a lot more usefull than two spells who do basically the same thing. For exemple you could replace your Smoke screen with the turret, Marked to Death, Preparation or even Multi-Shot when you have excess of Hatred.
Reply Quote
I went into act 3 NM with 2200dps. i died in 1 hit from whites since I had 1890hp. Then I dropped dps down to 1100 and health up to 7k. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I left NM with 16k HP and I don't remember my dps....

I still died. A lot. I don't fear whites anymore though :) I don't remember their name but some normal mob in NM act 4 that jumps on you.... I wanted to cry.

Wiz skills provide far better survival than ours. We seem to be terribly squishy. We are more mobile though but that doesn't help against special mobs with prison/rock walls/teleport/leap since we blow our resource fast.
Edited by Zidaen#1208 on 5/18/2012 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/18/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Strength
There are many spells out there that can be a lot more usefull than two spells who do basically the same thing. For exemple you could replace your Smoke screen with the turret, Marked to Death, Preparation or even Multi-Shot when you have excess of Hatred.

Meh, the turret does only so-so damage and costs a lot, Marked for Death is only useful on bosses (where you can get rid of your AoE instead of SS or Vault), Preparation is often just as unnecessary for basic pulls (especially with Vengeance) and I can fit Multishot in the same build as SS and Vault. It's all just priorities. You may prioritize Sentry over SS or Vault (why not go Companion if you're going to go that? 10% more damage and always with you) but it's certainly not idiotic or useless to prioritize having Vault or SS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Smoke screen with lingering to make it last 5 seconds + prep = 20 seconds at least to get away or some people forget that you can use this offensively. Get into position pop it and Rapid Fire or impale spam for 10 seconds pop prep 10 seconds to get out.

It's all about the elites and boss's, they are the only things that will kill you if not played right. Hell and Infernal. Focus around that. That's just my two cents

Lvl 60 DH with 30k HP 11k dps without marksman.
Reply Quote
Thanks alot guys! I'm gonna first tell you getting Smoke Screen complety changed the game for me, ever since I took it I died only 5 times, 3 to one-shotters (sort of speak), 2 to just too many mobs coming from everywhere. :-)

Just finished Nightmare, this is how I look: http://imgbox.com/aamehR0d

I still don't have aoe per say, but remember I always and only play with my barbarian brother, so there are some soloing abilities I don't absolutely need. Right now the thing I change is the way Rapid Fire and Hungering Arrow works: either both of them have percing runes active, or have RF with Web Shot and HA with Shatter Shot. This way my brother's barbarian always in front on me, leaping on shizzle, I do everything from afar, and if the mobs pop on or around me, I quickly Smoke Screen and get the hell away. Caltrops dropped as needed...

For now this build is fairly safe and have a good punch to it. Oh and I wanna say I'm trying to implement "Life on hit" stats on rings/amulet/weapon, and with that stat, the faster and more time you hit, the better your health stay afloat. That's the main reason I keep Rapid Fire, it's just the best and fastest way to quickly gain health while fighting.
Reply Quote
get better gear. Im lvl 45 with 1200 dex, 3200 dps, 14k hp
Edited by Jaeyoung#3962 on 5/19/2012 5:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]