Diablo® III

Inferno Mode Wizard, bored AMA thread

So I've just started ACT II (Hell) (Lvl 56) and I can feel the disparity in my gear. I'm curious what makes you finally pull the trigger on an upgrade? Is there a loose guide you try to stick by? For example, gear that's older than 5 levels, or armor is +x more than current?

The prices really go up after for lvl 50+ for items so I'm trying to prioritize the gear purchases based on most improvement for the gold and I'm just unsure if something like 70 more points of armor for boots is really worth 25k knowing that at lvl 60 it's all going to be replaced again.

Finally, do you use two hand weapon or 1hand and offhand?

1h + offhand, I need the cast speed at the moment with my current spec, and 2h's which are upgrades are....2 MILLION? Screw that noise! I picked up a nice 1h spear which is good damage. Also allows me more versatility in what I want to pick up for stats, proc stun/slow/blind/freeze

As for the gear thing, if you can afford an upgrade, GO FOR IT!
Edited by Brutality#1910 on 5/22/2012 3:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Awe
I !@#$ed up and deleted half of my good items (don't ask me how it happened) so after buying a few pieces of gear I'm down to 12k damage and 8k health. Level 60. Please suggest a good build for farming Acts 3 and 4 of Hell.

Better idea is do the wretched mother on Inferno, Start at A1 Q1 (second part Rumford at the gate), and either kill all 3 wretched mothers, or what I do is just teleport right to the queen, kill her. Then progress down to save cain. Kill the blacksmith's wife and repeat.

Yeah you won't get the buff but it is A: easy and B: get inferno gear.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Trip
Get better gear first. 8k hp? Wtf.. I am 60 with 14k dps and 43k hp. You are going to die if you blink once.

Energy armor, I have 10k hp in my MF gear, I can kill champion packs. I also run 16k dps unbuffed.

The more hp you have, the worse off you are trying to get it back in a hurry.

HP Regen can make up for "random hits" such as spells, also when I have low life 1 potion = full heal. So if I am hit twice and energy armor absorbs a bunch, dropping me to low low life, I potion full health and can suffer 2 hits again.

A2 monsters hit me with over 60% mitigation, for 50k. HP stacking isn't going to save me.
Reply Quote
@OP - couple questions:

About to enter Inferno

1) Is Blizzard by itself not enough of an AOE snare? I always liked the DOTs on venom hydra better for some reason but can see the need for AOE arcane snare with tflux if mobs are way to quick/you need the added
2) Are you just kiting like crazy the whole time and let Hydra do its thing or do you stop to weave in MM?

Thanks

Blizzard is enough snare if you have good aim with it, unfortunately I needed to practice so safety net, go with hydra snare as well. Now, I am dropping Arcane Slow passive, for Galvinized Wounds (300 hp/sec) to give me a bit more survival.

Kiting like crazy! See below and TYVM to LoboBiZARro for assisting with that.

You can WATCH the answer to number 2 here:

http://www.twitch.tv/brutalitygaming/b/318709822

Going to stream when the servers come back up, and do a quick-and-dirty tutorial about how to run this spec. Probably port it to youtube as well for people.
Edited by Brutality#1910 on 5/22/2012 3:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
KoR
How do you feel about the damage you put up with Arcane Hydra and Blizzard? I was under the impression that Blizzard doesn't do a whole lot of damage (it's purpose is mainly for the snare anyway), does the stronger snare getting you much more hydra uptime on the mobs make it worth it?

I'm running around in Inferno as well with just two offensive spells (Arcane Orb + Arcane/Venom Hydra with Temporal Flux, no Magic Missile, 3 defensive spells + Magic Weapon instead), so we're roughly the same.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cRSQOP!YUX!YbZYYZ

I've considered Blizzard + Hydra at times but I'm skeptical of how much damage it does, I already kill most champion packs in a minute or two tops, not much kiting needed since Arcane Orb does so much damage on top of hydra.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 5/22/2012 3:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Where did you farm for gear to prepare for inferno? If you bought the gear off of AH, where did you make the money?
Reply Quote
How do you feel about the damage you put up with Arcane Hydra and Blizzard? I was under the impression that Blizzard doesn't do a whole lot of damage (it's purpose is mainly for the snare anyway), does the stronger snare getting you much more hydra uptime on the mobs make it worth it?

I'm running around in Inferno as well with just two offensive spells (Arcane Orb + Arcane/Venom Hydra with Temporal Flux, no Magic Missile, 3 defensive spells + Magic Weapon instead), so we're roughly the same.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cRSQOP!YUX!YbZYYZ

I've considered Blizzard + Hydra at times but I'm skeptical of how much damage it does, I already kill most champion packs in a minute or two tops, not much kiting needed since Arcane Orb does so much damage on top of hydra.

Blizzard for me with 18K dps sits around 1,337 (yeah I got it to tick for that much!), to 1,800 roughly, yeah it's pretty pathetic. The reason why it is there is so I can SPAM THE HELL out of it and it'll slow and I don't even have to be on the screen for it to go off. Many times I will drop it behind me and keep running.

When I came up with the build I was looking for a cheap snare, damage would be a good plus but wasn't the intent as I was going to be saccing life for damage.

Also the reason behind the arcane hydra, is AOE. I drop it on the packs on the skeleton king and they are killed in a second with blizzard raining down so they can't get close to me, so I can get back to killing SK.

What kind of damage are you running? The champion packs range from 1-2 minute kites, to 4 minutes boarder-lining enraging due to shield/health (stupidest combo EVER)

I never was a fan of illusions tbh, so many times I would pop it and they would run with me instead of stand there and be a distraction.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 03:22 AMPosted by VinN
Where did you farm for gear to prepare for inferno? If you bought the gear off of AH, where did you make the money?

I leveled pretty quick, me and my friends were some of the few in inferno mode by Thursday so the AH was EMPTY of Inferno-grade gear, and the few pieces that were up were 20 mil (good luck getting that suckers)

How I geared up was actually inside inferno mode. I did A1 Q1 (Rumford at the gate), and slaughtered my way through until I killed the blacksmith's wife (next part is the north gate). At which point you can encounter champion packs so I would reset at that point as champion packs are pretty crazy. Just rinse and repeat as you get items that are 51 req up to inferno mode. You kill at least 3 bosses (wretched mother queen, saving cain, and the blacksmith's wife)

Past that, if you can farm Hell mode A4 from Izual to Diablo, and kill diablo you will get some decent blues you can vendor (if they are trash) or sell on the AH to make some money!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
KoR
Blizzard for me with 18K dps sits around 1,337 (yeah I got it to tick for that much!), to 1,800 roughly, yeah it's pretty pathetic. The reason why it is there is so I can SPAM THE HELL out of it and it'll slow and I don't even have to be on the screen for it to go off. Many times I will drop it behind me and keep running.

When I came up with the build I was looking for a cheap snare, damage would be a good plus but wasn't the intent as I was going to be saccing life for damage.

Also the reason behind the arcane hydra, is AOE. I drop it on the packs on the skeleton king and they are killed in a second with blizzard raining down so they can't get close to me, so I can get back to killing SK.

What kind of damage are you running? The champion packs range from 1-2 minute kites, to 4 minutes boarder-lining enraging due to shield/health (stupidest combo EVER)

I never was a fan of illusions tbh, so many times I would pop it and they would run with me instead of stand there and be a distraction.

I'm sitting at about 25k DPS, pretty much the same as you since I have Magic Weapon. I generally find champion packs take about the same time too. Occasionally I run into a really weak group (Relatively low HP and no gimmicks like Vortex or Mortar) and they drop almost as fast as a normal pack of mobs, with minimal kiting required. I agree too, Shield/Invulnerable Minions are the most annoying attributes ever, I skip the latter sometimes if it's just too troublesome to take the time to kill.

The main reason I take Mirror Images in addition to Teleport is because it also breaks you out of snares and roots (not Frozen though), for additional insurance against bad RNG. Sometimes against Mortar + Jailer or something, you Teleport out and immediately get jailed again. Sometimes you get bad luck and run into rare fast mobs (leapers or something) with the Fast attribute and they will nearly always be hitting you since they plain outrun you, so you can cycle Teleport and Mirror Image while kiting and always have images around.

The images from both also give me a bit of breathing room to DPS if the enemy decides to focus on them. What I like best about Fracture Teleport though, is that it's a 'free' Mirror Image every time you teleport.

Normally after teleporting you are vulnerable for the whole 15 seconds unless you invoke another cd, but those images occupy the enemies' attention for the 7 seconds they are up. It's nice to have them as cover for a period of time while you wait out the Teleport cd. I do agree though, images in D3 aren't as good as the ones in WoW at drawing attention away from you - the mobs are smarter.

Incidentally, I'm a big fan of Seeker Magic Missile as well, I was using it before I swapped to Arcane Orb for better burst. You can do some funky things like shoot around corners and walls while you stay out of line of sight. Also, if you consider that we're all human are just plain miss with spells sometimes, it's not really a true damage loss over Charged Blast Magic Missile.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 5/22/2012 4:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have to admit Brutality, i never thought about illusionist teleport and mirror image. This is a very skillful build. executing it would be fun. If you want take a look at my build and guide. It is a lot less skill execution, and more bashing.
Reply Quote
Looks like you have much better luck with mirror images. I tried them for a while but I found only once in a while the mobs would be distracted enough for me to be able to get 1 more shot in while kiting. Doesn't seem worth the slot it takes up imo.
Reply Quote
LMAO
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Firstly, love the choice of music!

Righto, so my spec is
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acOQRX!dXc!YYYYaa
watching your stream i can see how good blizz+temporal flux is, will have to play around with that.
i'm a 60 wizard about to beat diablo on hell...when the servers come back up...i think im at like 6k dps and 20k hp, with stats like that will it be possible for me to do what you suggest (farm the smith's wife for loot), and gear wise, what stats do you look for? int/IAS/+damage so far is what i'm looking for, i was thinking about +all resists but now that i know how hard you get hit it seems pointless...
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 04:49 AMPosted by NateTheGreat
LMAO

Thanks for the bump, too bad you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation so I will just ignore your posts now.
Reply Quote
Firstly, love the choice of music!

Righto, so my spec is
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acOQRX!dXc!YYYYaa
watching your stream i can see how good blizz+temporal flux is, will have to play around with that.
i'm a 60 wizard about to beat diablo on hell...when the servers come back up...i think im at like 6k dps and 20k hp, with stats like that will it be possible for me to do what you suggest (farm the smith's wife for loot), and gear wise, what stats do you look for? int/IAS/+damage so far is what i'm looking for, i was thinking about +all resists but now that i know how hard you get hit it seems pointless...

IAS is a wonderful stat if you can get it, benefits you from wielding 2h or 1h's alike. Eventually I need to pick up a 2h for bosses/slow champion packs for the hard hitting capabilities. With my IAS I am sitting ~2.0 attacks per second, so I can stutter step pretty easy. Int/IAS/Damage. I do have 2 pc tals, chest mainly has +50 resist all which is fantastic! 200 resist all is giving me a 50% chance to resist all damage types (very useful). So resists if you can get them, but most of the time damage.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
well at the moment i've got 2x ring with 6-12 dmg +13% IAS and a neck with 8-16 dmg and 13% IAS, i know you can get IAS on gloves and weap, is that it? and stutter stepping, is that what you're doing where you fire then just step back rinse repeat?
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 05:02 AMPosted by Zerbicasti
well at the moment i've got 2x ring with 6-12 dmg +13% IAS and a neck with 8-16 dmg and 13% IAS, i know you can get IAS on gloves and weap, is that it? and stutter stepping, is that what you're doing where you fire then just step back rinse repeat?

Pretty much! With temporal flux it's pretty nice being able to slow, AND hit things at the same time. I use the seeker rune on magic missile so I don't have to aim directly on them.

You can get IAS on your weapons and gloves from what I have found, haven't found any with decent mods though.
Reply Quote
Hi all,

I have managed to defeat the second boss on Act 4 Inferno and working my way to Diablo. I have killed every champion pack, not skipped anything and managed to kill all the end act bosses with 5 stacks on the MF buff.

My spec is a little different then these arcane builds, atho they do seem interesting so ill give them a try!

this is my spec:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#lUOSRX!YXh!bbYZba

My stats are:

6k hp, 45,550 dps (with weapon buff) 24% crit, 2 attack speed, 250+ all resistances.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
yea just dished out 450k for a 911dps 2h-er (what's this? a level 60 item that costs less than a mill? BARGAIN!) so that should pretty much double my damage...
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 05:09 AMPosted by Zerbicasti
yea just dished out 450k for a 911dps 2h-er (what's this? a level 60 item that costs less than a mill? BARGAIN!) so that should pretty much double my damage...

God damn awesome luck grz :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]