Diablo® III

Buying a motherboard

Does anyone here know anything about getting a motherboard?

My computer has been having strange problems ever since I bought it and now it's chugging along like it's loading something in the background...and it's not, I checked. I can hardly type this because firefox will randomly freeze every minute, which goes for everything else that I'm trying to do. I got Diablo 3 a couple days ago, beat it, no problems and now I can't even play the game because it will randomly freeze up and lag horribly every 2 minutes or less.

I defragged everything, cleaned the registries and cleared up anything that could possibly be breaking my PC but occasionally when I start up my PC it will actually get STUCK at the "Starting Up" windows boot screen and I have to restart it manually until I can log in. I don't know what's wrong with this piece of junk other then I feel like my motherboard is crap.

With that said, here's my PC specs -

Windows 7 Home Premium
ASUSTeK Computer Inc
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor, 2700 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processors (enabled all processors to be used manually in msconfig)
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (drivers updated)

I honestly have no idea how to update the motherboard but I scanned my PC and it claims its brand is "American Megatrends Inc." version 0403, date: 06/21/2010.

I don't know if I actually do need a new motherboard but anyone have any idea how to shop for one?
Reply Quote
Okay, well. If its crashing, Get a back up of your data.. Back the whole thing up.

Re-install windows on your harddrive. And Start your computer again, and see how it goes.

Looking at your processor, its quite new. And Processors have like a 99.99% chance that its not going too stuff up. My friend has been working in the computer industry for about 15 years, and in his whole life. His only seen about 4 processors ever been faulty.

Try re-installing windows and tell me how it goes.
Reply Quote
I actually re-installed windows recently, right before I got Tera Online and that was like the beginning of May but I could do it again...I guess, if that's my last resort.

It's not really crashing either, it's just freezing up. Like, I just started up Diablo 3 again about 5 minutes ago and it was working fine for about 5 minutes of playing then it freezes up, moves a little, freezes up until I just get mad and have to ALT + F4 it.
Edited by Electroflux#1702 on 5/21/2012 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well. Im not entirely sure, on where too get this software from. But, Try find a 'Memory diagnostic software' too burn too a DVD and boot in from the bios.
There is also a Harddrive one too, i have these CD's right here.

What it will doo is run a scan on your hardware and see if somethings wrong with either your harddrive or your RAM. If these Scans find no errors, then I suggest on buying a new motherboard, and unless you know how to put a computer together, youll have labour charges at a computer shop, or something like that. But go to your nearest Computer store if there is nothing wrong with your RAM or Harddrive, and tell them what processor you have exactly and they'll tell you what motherboard you need to put the processor in. :)
Reply Quote
This motherboard here. -http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#

Will be fine with your processor you have now. :)
Reply Quote
So this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

I wonder if this problem really stems from the motherboard, though.
Considering I bought a new PSU with my graphics card, I don't know what else might be causing these weird problems today and only today.

It's not the only thing that's wrong with this fricken PC. If I accidentally put the usb cord into it's slot on the front of the pc backwards, just a little bit (where it obviously wouldn't work), it shorts out my pc and shuts it down completely. I've never seen something like that before.

Before all of this, I used to heard this weird whirring noise coming from the small fan attached to my motherboard, which prevented my computer from starting up and it wouldn't distribute the power to anything that was hooked up to the pc, like the keyboard for example. It would just sit there and whir like, vroom .... vroom.... vroom until i had to actually turn off the PC completely, UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE..., wait about 5 minutes and try it again and again until it finally booted up. That eventually disappeared for some reason and I've never heard it again.

I just feel like if I'm about to spend $150 on a motherboard, it better be the cause of all these problems but I honestly believe it is. I'll try wiping my PC later after some tests and see if it eventually resolves itself like most of the issues that come up on this hunk of junk.
Reply Quote
Thats the one! But if you had problems with just plugging in a USB? and it shutting down? that is definatly something to do with your motherboard!

Your computer problems are sounding very very wierd.. And With all these symtoms i dont know what it could be.

But by the sounds of it, you need a new motherboard anyway!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Did you check the temperature of the CPU?
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 5/21/2012 12:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Kalganized
Did you check the temperature of the CPU?

Here's what CPUID Hardware Monitor is telling me:

ASUSTeK Computer INC (apparently the motherboard, I'm guessing)

TMPIN0 50C (122F)
TMPIN1 48C (118F)

There's also a list of temperatures ranging from core #0 to core #5 that are all around about...
38C (99F)

My graphics card is at about 44C (109F)

These are all running with Diablo 3 in the background, but I don't know how to capture it while playing since I know it cranks up the fan quite a bit.

EDIT: Here's a picture which will help http://i.imgur.com/mk8mh.jpg
Edited by Electroflux#1702 on 5/21/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Temperature looks normal.

Have you tried running Memtest86+?
Reply Quote
Temperature looks normal.

Have you tried running Memtest86+?

I have no idea what that is so probably not.

I'll check it out, whatever it is. =P

EDIT: Okay, looks like it's something that I have to boot the pc with on a cd? I have DaemonTools so I can open the .iso files but there's nothing there that I can use.
Edited by Electroflux#1702 on 5/21/2012 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You will burn the .iso file onto a blank CD using tools like ImgBurn, then boot from the CD
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Kalganized
You will burn the .iso file onto a blank CD using tools like ImgBurn, then boot from the CD

What is this exactly supposed to do for me?
Edited by Electroflux#1702 on 5/21/2012 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It will fully test out your RAM and see if there is any issue with it. Bad RAM can cause the situations you are experiencing, after all.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Kalganized
It will fully test out your RAM and see if there is any issue with it. Bad RAM can cause the situations you are experiencing, after all.

Okay, I'll try it out when I get some time and post back here.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Kalganized

Well, I ran it and it said there was no errors.

I don't understand. I tried loading up Diablo 2 and it freezes, goes, freezes, goes during the cinematic and then it's fine for about 3 minutes then does that again, sometimes it even locks me completely out of the game. This is going across every single application and is probably why Firefox does that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Seems like motherboard is problematic, but I would take it to a shop for a more thorough analysis, because there's only so much you can try at home.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Kalganized
Seems like motherboard is problematic, but I would take it to a shop for a more thorough analysis, because there's only so much you can try at home.

Alright, I guess I'm going to have to suffer the payment of a shop but it's literally stopping me from playing anything...oh well.

Thanks for the help, though.
Reply Quote
Windows 7 Home Premium 32 or 64bit ?
ASUSTeK Computer Inc
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor, 2700 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processors (enabled all processors to be used manually in msconfig) [throw it away and get a intel, amd suck cheap board]
8GB RAM keep
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (drivers updated) keep, this is good
Reply Quote
11 Dwarf Paladin
Hello I dont know what type of motherboard i need to buy for diablo 3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]