Diablo® III

Should i give up intellect for damage?

Thinking of getting a staff with over 1000 dps but no intellect

will be giving up my current wand which is 245 dps 171 int and source gives me 117 int

is it worth it to losing all that int?
Edited by Quicktim3#1945 on 5/22/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For modes before hell it's better just to get damage. But remember Intel gives resistances, so for hell and inferno, it's better to get Intel. Off course you have to find the right balance giving you IAS/damage also.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Ifrit
For modes before hell it's better just to get damage. But remember Intel gives resistances, so for hell and inferno, it's better to get Intel. Off course you have to find the right balance giving you IAS/damage also.

ya was thinking that

all the staffs with intel are way overpriced in the auction house

ill be losing about 288 intel

idk lol
Reply Quote
288 Int is +288% of base, right? Base (from weapon) is 245 DPS? That means the weapon and Int bonus totals to 950.6. The staff at 1000+ would be better, but you lose your resists.

(Somebody please tell me where I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something...)
Reply Quote
Thinking of getting a staff with over 1000 dps but no intellect

will be giving up my current wand which is 245 dps 171 int and source gives me 117 int

is it worth it to losing all that int?

Are you making those numbers up or are you seriously asking this question?
Reply Quote
288 Int is +288% of base, right? Base (from weapon) is 245 DPS? That means the weapon and Int bonus totals to 950.6. The staff at 1000+ would be better, but you lose your resists.

(Somebody please tell me where I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something...)

245 dps wand will be nowhere near a 1000 dps staff. You're forgetting to account for other sources of intellect other than the weapon which will make the staff much more desirable.

Indeed if your only source of int was from your weapon, the two would be close. But that's not the case.

Go for the staff. On any mode. Doing 1/3 of the damage is just not worth it regardless of whatever survivability hit you will take.
Edited by Octahedron#1608 on 5/22/2012 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Is that the correct way on how you figure out the dps w/int added in?
245*288%=705.6 + 245 =950.6
Can someone confirm if this is correct or not?
Reply Quote

No it is not correct because intelligence doesn't exist in a vacuum like that. You have to compare the percentage of your total intelligence that 288 makes up (which is probably minor). And compare that to how much of your DPS the weapon itself factors into and is multiplied (which is around...90%+).
Reply Quote
The weapon will be better for sure.

But you will lose resist.
Reply Quote

No it is not correct because intelligence doesn't exist in a vacuum like that. You have to compare the percentage of your total intelligence that 288 makes up (which is probably minor). And compare that to how much of your DPS the weapon itself factors into and is multiplied (which is around...90%+).

So is there really any calculation you can use when trying to compare items with higher dps than an item w/lower dps and int to see which will benefit more? Not necessarily from the OP question but just in general if I'm looking on ah and want to see how a 1h/oh stacks up to a 2h or something like that?
Reply Quote

So is there really any calculation you can use when trying to compare items with higher dps than an item w/lower dps and int to see which will benefit more? Not necessarily from the OP question but just in general if I'm looking on ah and want to see how a 1h/oh stacks up to a 2h or something like that?

Total int /100 * weapon DPS, v. (total int - weapon int difference)/100 * new weapon dps.
Reply Quote
You need the staff bro. The resistances/armor of everything in inferno help you very minimally. I stacked armor and resist on my wizard and it literally did nothing for me (maybe instead of getting 2 or 3 shot I would get 4 shot). Damage is much more important.
Reply Quote
weapons, get highest damge
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure resists don't do a gdamn thing after NM. I still get completely destroyed with very high resists in all fields. Way rather have high dps and just kite
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warlock
higher dps weapon > all, stats or not.

the resists from that small amount of intelligence do NOTHING in inferno, it just makes you last 0.1 second longer and that 0.1 second isnt even enough to help you survive. (not to mention, 0.1 seconds is probably an overstatement)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]