Diablo® III

Hardcore FAQ Please Read

(Sticky)

Hardcore FAQ

=== How do I make a hardcore character?
To unlock the option of making a hardcore character you have to play a softcore(regular) character up to level 10. Once you get to level 10, go back to character creation and create a new character and remember to click the "Hardcore" button under the gender options. (Thanks to Sky for this one)

=== What are the differences between hardcore and regular(aka: softcore) Diablo 3?
The ONLY differences are:
-Hardcore achievements
-No real money auction house
-Different community
-If you die, you.....
Lose access to your Character
Lose all equipped items
Lose all items in inventory
Lose all items your followers have equipped
If it's not listed above it's the same as softcore

=== I didn't read what was underlined above so I'm curious; do I lose my achievements, stash, my gold, or my artisan progression?
No, you lose none of those things. They all persist even if your hardcore hero dies.

=== Can I share items, gold, artisans, stash between hardcore and softcore heroes?
No, nothing is shared between the two game modes ever. You don't use the same auction house and you can't play with other heroes of a different mode. Two Hardcore heroes can play together and share items as long as they are both hardcore though.

=== My character died but it's not my fault, can I get my character back or at least cry on the forums?
No and No. Even if it's lag, a stealth nerf, a blizzard employee comes to your house and covers your eyes, or a bug or glitch kills you at level 59..... You will not get that character back and you can not cry on the forums. You must suck it up because all those things are part of hardcore play. Accept it or don't play it.

=== How can I have two skills of the same slot loaded at the same time?
What you are referring to is called elective mode. It allows you to mix and match ANY skills in any spot. It is not on by default to prevent new players from making simple mistakes in skill choice (like not choosing a signature on a beginning wizard).

Elective Mode is enabled by going into options while in game, choosing the game play section, the checking the box next to elective mode.

=== Is there any way to loot a fallen party member like in Diablo 2?
No this is not possible in Diablo 3 all inventory items are effectively lost when you die, however you could *try to throw as many items out of your inventory onto the ground as your hero is in the process of being beaten to death..... Let me know how that works out.

=== Is there a way to quickly exit the game before I die?
No. Unlike Diablo 2 you can not quickly exit the game before that killing blow is dealt. Clicking "exit game" starts a ten second timer after that 10 seconds you will be logged out. The only exception is that there is no log out timer while doing so from the safety of a town.

=== Do my dead heroes take up my limited number of character slots?
They don't have to. Any time after they are dead you can select the option to "Archive" the fallen hero. This will put them into their own list where you can view them at any time. Heroes on the archive list will not count towards your account's 10 character limit.

=== How can I talk to other hardcore players while in game?
You can join the Hardcore Public Chat Channel by clicking the little gear above the chat window -> Click public chat -> Hardcore. If you change to party chat with "/p" you can get back to hardcore with "/c". Also "/?" Gives a list of chat commands.

Please ask any other questions in this thread and we will answer them here. These FAQ will be updated as questions are asked.

Thanks for reading,
eMLiquid

Stay Safe and Honor the fallen!
Edited by eMLiquid#1393 on 6/5/2012 8:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thumbs up!

Please sticky!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Looks Good.
sticky thumb up
Edited by Reveries#1768 on 5/23/2012 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Was just wondering if there's an answer to this, can we make it so our corpse is lootable??
I've played some with buddies and have died a few times already in HC - perma freeze on Izual nightmare is just depressing...watching yourself die and nothing to do about it. - And we liked our stuff, so...playing coop is it possible to loot your fallen brothers stuff as it was in D2?
Reply Quote
Liked / sticky requested.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Thanks for this :D It should be stickied! *sticky requested please*

Hardcore FAQ

Can I share items, gold, artisans, stash between hardcore and softcore heroes?
No, nothing is shared between the two game modes ever. You don't use the same auction house and you can't play with other heroes of a diffent mode.

Can you play with others that are also on the hardcode mode? Like if a friend & I made hardcore heroes together - can we run them together and trade stuff with each other?
Reply Quote
Was just wondering if there's an answer to this, can we make it so our corpse is lootable??
I've played some with buddies and have died a few times already in HC - perma freeze on Izual nightmare is just depressing...watching yourself die and nothing to do about it. - And we liked our stuff, so...playing coop is it possible to loot your fallen brothers stuff as it was in D2?

Nope sorry it's impossible to loot a fallen hero in Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
Thanks for this :D It should be stickied! *sticky requested please*

Hardcore FAQ

Can I share items, gold, artisans, stash between hardcore and softcore heroes?
No, nothing is shared between the two game modes ever. You don't use the same auction house and you can't play with other heroes of a diffent mode.

Can you play with others that are also on the hardcode mode? Like if a friend & I made hardcore heroes together - can we run them together and trade stuff with each other?

Yes you can do all of that with two hardcore heroes.
Reply Quote
Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the support.

I still see new threads popping up with these questions so please help keep this thread bumped and request sticky thanks :D
Edited by eMLiquid#1393 on 5/23/2012 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm thinking about switching to hardcore. The community is a lot different to the rest of the player base (from what i can tell by reading these forums anyway).

Maybe i'll get my 2 barbs to 60 acheivement with one each SC and HC characters
Reply Quote

What are the differences between hardcore and regular(softcore) Diablo 3?

Hopefully one day: -No mob enrage timers
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I'd request a sticky, but misspelling "hardcore" in the title? Can't do it.
Edited by Seaurch#1715 on 5/23/2012 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nothing against the sentiment, but is anyone else getting tired of players coming on this board and acting like they work for blizzard? XD
Reply Quote
My character died but it's not my fault, can I get my character back or at least cry on the forums?
No and No.

Pretty sure that's incorrect, I've seen lots of people cry on the forums after their character died.
Reply Quote
And 9 times out of 10 they are told to suck it up and stop posting those types of threads ;-)
Reply Quote
I just ran through the normal campaign on Hardcore right after I finished doing the same in Softcore... I got 3-4 times as many rare items and gems on my HardCore account and many many more times the magic items.

I kept trying to find sources that said that HC had a higher magic item drop rate, but I guess this is just a fluke or perhaps because I played a different class or something... I'm pretty sure most of the time I was not wearing "+% find magic item" stuff for most of my HC run
Reply Quote
Cool started my first HC toon last night going to have fun taking it super slow and steady.
Reply Quote
Needs a sticky.

Just do be clear, we do or do not get to keep achievements upon death?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]