Diablo® III

Witch doctor weapon itemization on 1hander

Since i'm trying to go with a standard dart build and IAS, (I have 2 rings and glove sthat give 15% each) I am looking to replace my 2hander with a main and offhand.

My 2hander gives +130 int and +80 vitality and its DPS says its at 790.

When searching for a mh dagger or ceremonial knife, I usually just put attack speed percentage in the search and choose max buyout equal to what Im willing to spend.

My question is, is the IAS on the weapon already applied to the displayed damage?

For simplicity's sake let me show a random example

1) http://www.d3lexicon.com/item/flesh-tearer

this item says that is has increased AS of 12%. does that mean that its dps of 115-170 already has the attackspeed calculated into it?

For me this comes down to basically what is an equal upgrade from my 2hander? if my 2hander is 790 dps, do I want a 1hander that is >790 dps AND have attack speed % or can it be like 650 dps and give 15% IAS and still be an upgrade?

Im sorry if this is confusing, I'm jsut really confused as to how the weapon itemization is calculated and because it doesn't take into consideration an offhand, I dont know how to see whether its an upgrade or not without buying the item.
Reply Quote
As I understand it any stats on a weapon, like IAS in this case, are already rolled into the displayed DPS and displayed Attack Speed.
Reply Quote
I believe (and anyone correct me please) that the DPS is the accumulation of all the stats on the weapon.

When you put a gem into a weapon, the total dps changes. So an ungemmed weapon in the auction house will have a lower dps than what it's actually capable of displaying.

My guess is that because the gemmed slot works like the other enhancements, that everything that increases your dps on the weapon is calculated into the dps of the weapon, so you want to find a 1 hander that is >790 dps with attack speed.
Reply Quote
thank you all for the advice. Granted I ahven't taken into consideration an offhand but yes, this is nice to know! So not only do i want IAS on the weapon but I want the displayed DPS to be pretty damn high (to compensate for the loss of intel on my 2h)

:(

guess back to farming act 1 inferno :(
Reply Quote
No.

Let's add up the expected DPS - it's simply weapon dmg * attack speed. Take the low end:

(93+66 / 2) * 1.46 = 116.07, or pretty much the bottom expected DPS.

So yes, you can multiply this by 1.2 to get the actual DPS.
Reply Quote
No.

Let's add up the expected DPS - it's simply weapon dmg * attack speed. Take the low end:

(93+66 / 2) * 1.46 = 116.07, or pretty much the bottom expected DPS.

So yes, you can multiply this by 1.2 to get the actual DPS.

multiply by .12 right? I assume that is IAS?

your reading looks right, so Damage and elemental damage modifiers are already added into the item dps and damage, but IAS isn't. correct?
Reply Quote
That 1.46 Attack Speed already includes any IAS on the weapon if that's the number the game's showing you.

If there's +12% IAS on the wep, that 1.46 still includes it so no need to multiply but .12 at the end.
Reply Quote
That 1.46 Attack Speed already includes any IAS on the weapon if that's the number the game's showing you.

If there's +12% IAS on the wep, that 1.46 still includes it so no need to multiply but .12 at the end.

Truth.
Reply Quote
Ah, OK. I thought the white numbers were the base item, pre-buff. And yes I meant 1.12 :) Good to know, thanks!
Edited by kimadactyl#2189 on 5/29/2012 5:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So stats are calc'd into weapons on the AH? I thought those weren't...(stats like INT)
Reply Quote
To re-iterate my last question, if there's a weapon up with 800 dps, and a weapon up with 800 dps and 100 int, are they the same dps or the one with int does more?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
05/29/2012 05:37 AMPosted by Jolts
So stats are calc'd into weapons on the AH? I thought those weren't...(stats like INT)

Stats like int are not factored into the weapon's dps.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 08:15 AMPosted by Jolts
To re-iterate my last question, if there's a weapon up with 800 dps, and a weapon up with 800 dps and 100 int, are they the same dps or the one with int does more?

if everything is the same the 100 int wins out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Correct me if I'm wrong, but another stat that appears on weapons but isn't added into the weapons displayed DPS is "% increased crit damage." For example, I had 2 daggers, both 700-ish DPS, but one also had 50% increased critical hit damage. When I put that on my DPS skyrocketed compared to the other.
Reply Quote
You can get away with no attack speed on a ceremonial dagger and still have exceptionally fast attack speed. The AS rings are cheap enough, can find gloves with +15 as well. These three items alone will put you over 2.0 attacks/sec. If you're going with a blue neck (int/ias) then you will be even higher.

If you just search for a ceremonial dagger with Int you can find one with +800 for sometimes 1mil or less. Getting a solid mojo can give you another 10k dps (50-260 +int or better). Without PtV this will put you at around 25k+ dps without issue. With PtV you will probably be over 30k.

(Of course all these are going to slightly change based on your actual gear, prices change alot too, and you will still be utterly destroyed until you get more resistance, but I find it generally accurate.)

+Int on a weapon will increase it's effective dps. +800 with Int is better than +800 without.
+Crit Dmg will increase effective dps. +800 with Crit dmg is better than +800 without.

Again, you don't necessarily need IAS on the weapon itself if you are over 2.0 attacks/sec based on jewerly or other items.

Another thing to look into is to improve movement speed. Search of Lacuni Prowlers and try to find some cheap. Having 19-25% movement speed is not just about convenience, it will save your !@# so many times. I currently sacrifice a couple thousand hp and a thousand or so dps just for increased movement speed.
Reply Quote
Also I reccomend finding gear with damage reducement to you, like 4-3% and gearing up your physical resistance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]