Diablo® III

Inferno Act 2 Gear check

I clear Act 1 Inferno with 5 stacks of NV easily. Zero problems, zero chance of death. I can go any build I want and clear it including the Butcher.

When I enter Act 2 inferno - I simply die with 1-2 hits. If I somehow separate the champion/elite mob 1v1 I can take the hits. But when its 2-4 of them - i get owned.

Here are my stats:

355 Strength
933 Dex
282 Int
31,000 HP
5016 Armor (5888 armor with mantra buff)
11,289 damnage (877 1-hander damage)
484 All resist (581 all resist with mantra buff)
1.63 attack speed
113 Life per hit

I've tried with Mantra of Evasion - Hard Target and Mantra of Healing - Time of Need in act 2 to increase my armor and resistance respectively but it didn't help.

Here is my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aiYXgh!YXU!aZYbaa

I have tried many different builds both defensive, offensive and balanced but none seem to work. I am confident I'm not meeting the gear check for Act2 but I'm not sure where I am lacking. Anyone have any ideas? please be constructive/helpful.

Thank you all in advance.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Your resists are incredibly low for act two. You need to sit around 900 resist all either with time of need or without time of need if you want to use a different mantra. Increasing your armor and resists and you will see a huge difference in damage taken.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:13 AMPosted by Kaaiser
Your resists are incredibly low for act two. You need to sit around 900 resist all either with time of need or without time of need if you want to use a different mantra. Increasing your armor and resists and you will see a huge difference in damage taken.

900 resist sounds ridiculous. All of my gear has resist on it between 30-50 resist all.

Can anyone else substantiate his claim and tell me how its possible to get that much resist when I'm already stacking resist?

Thanks again everyone.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Pulsar

900 resist sounds ridiculous. All of my gear has resist on it between 30-50 resist all.

Can anyone else substantiate his claim and tell me how its possible to get that much resist when I'm already stacking resist?

Thanks again everyone.

Yeah isn't it fun, you need to buy act4 inferno gear farmed by DHs in order to be able to do act 2-3 inferno as a monk.

Welcome to the world of diablo.
Reply Quote
I clear Act 1 Inferno with 5 stacks of NV easily. Zero problems, zero chance of death. I can go any build I want and clear it including the Butcher.

When I enter Act 2 inferno - I simply die with 1-2 hits. If I somehow separate the champion/elite mob 1v1 I can take the hits. But when its 2-4 of them - i get owned.

Here are my stats:

355 Strength
933 Dex
282 Int
31,000 HP
5016 Armor (5888 armor with mantra buff)
11,289 damnage (877 1-hander damage)
484 All resist (581 all resist with mantra buff)
1.63 attack speed
113 Life per hit

I've tried with Mantra of Evasion - Hard Target and Mantra of Healing - Time of Need in act 2 to increase my armor and resistance respectively but it didn't help.

Here is my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aiYXgh!YXU!aZYbaa

I have tried many different builds both defensive, offensive and balanced but none seem to work. I am confident I'm not meeting the gear check for Act2 but I'm not sure where I am lacking. Anyone have any ideas? please be constructive/helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

I have similar stats to you except I have around 25k HP and 1500 DEX. and I'm only in Hell A4. So yeah you seem a bit undergeared.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
i have 700 resist all and 9k+ armor with mantra of evasion rune and deadly reach rune. 14k+ dps with blazing wrath rune. 1400+ dex and 1100+ vit and i'm still in the proccess of gearing up. Farm more ^^
Reply Quote
by the time i started act 3 i had 11k armor, 950 resist, and 15k dps in combat
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I would never lie to you guys hahaha! Check out my guide and let me know what you think!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5152414679?page=1
Reply Quote
I would never lie to you guys hahaha! Check out my guide and let me know what you think!

What is your battletag? i want to see your gear. 1000 LoH is nutz
Edited by PULSAR#1737 on 5/30/2012 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Thanks again everyone.

He's a little over the top, 750+ is fine to farm act 2. You get the One with everything passive and stack x resist and +all resist.

Yes its rediculous, especially considering with half the gold you end up spending on your monk, a DH could be facerolling through the entire game then loling with 3-4x as much gold as you make in the same amount of time.

I have three pieces of gear with one type of resist and all resist on it. I feel like monks get the shaft on everything. Other classes can easily kit, and barbs have % life return skills that keeps them alive forever.

You are right though. I will have to spend millions to gear up. I was hoping to save 5M to buy a nice 1,000+ DPS wep. :( those dreams have died.

So besides resist, is there anything else I'm lacking?
Edited by PULSAR#1737 on 5/30/2012 8:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
OwE is probably the best passive we have. Abuse it by picking up gear that has + 1 elemental resist, and + resist all. This basically lets you double stack resists
Reply Quote
Honestly I think people overstate the need for huge resistances. A lot of people have been going out and stacking as much resist/vitality as they can and largely ignoring damage stats and have been having little success - this is no surprise. In order to efficiently kill champion packs you want to keep your damage as high as possible. As a bonus, dexterity directly translates into dodge, armor and damage for Monks, making it easily the best stat to stack.

I have cleared all of Act 3 now on inferno (both solo and duo) and have to say that just getting more damage helps tremendously and armor helps tremendously. The ordinary white mobs are scarcely a problem (with a few exceptions of hard hitting ranged mobs, although most projectiles are avoidable) and champion packs require some sort of kiting when attempting the content without over-gearing it.

I currently use the following build and here is a screenshot of my stats:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WTXYgk!YcX!acbcYa
http://i.imgur.com/oDP8b.jpg

As an aside, I would suggest getting a lot of dex/armor instead of resistance at first, and then adding resistance later on (I did this, and completed Act 2 and most of Act 3 with less than 200 resistance to everything). The primary reason I suggest this is that Armor and Resistance do exactly the same thing (because armor mitigates all damage), and when buying gear from the AH, items with +armor on them are almost always bucketloads cheaper than items with all resistance.

People will likely question some of my build choices (for example, crippling wave over Fists of Thunder or Deadly Reach) so I'll briefly explain some.

Crippling Wave - This has an INSANE amount of aoe damage output, because Mangle takes the damage to 143% weapon damage, which puts it only 2% weapon damage behind runed Fists of Thunder. However, it has significantly better aoe damage than fists of thunder (which only does area of effect damage every 3rd attack, and even then, only in front of you). I'd encourage more people to try crippling wave as their primary source of damage (If you're trying to progress on a particular fight, for example, butcher, obv. you want FoT because it is higher single target dps because of the faster attack speed).

Mantra of Conviction - This is basically my spirit dump. 48% more damage while spamming it every 3 seconds is an incredible amount and you'll really notice the damage difference combined with the additional damage from the runed Breath of Heaven and Blinding Flash. Against champion packs, most of your damage will come from rotations of serenity/blind/seven-sided strike, before kiting briefly and repeating it. When I play with multiple players, I will sometimes switch to Evasion with the armor rune because everything hits harder (in my opinion, melee gets progressively worse the more people there are in a group)

Breath of Heaven/Serenity/Seven-Sided Strike/Blinding Flash are all pretty self explanatory, they're all defensive abilities which provide amazing offensive utility as well.

The final one people will likely question is Chant of Resonance. This is a great ability for champion pack killing because of the spirit regen it provides, so many times when you're kiting and out of defensive cooldowns you'll run out of spirit and won't be able to safely re-engage without just praying for an initial dodge to get the spirit for serenity/blind. With this passive, you won't need to. I also use a helm with ~1.5 spirit regen/second which I find helps out tremendously. I obviously swap this out if I'm doing a boss that I can't farm with 5 stacks of Neph. Valor. (I will likely get rid of this passive and take either the cooldown reduction one, or the 8% damage one if and when I finally get an awesome weapon that also has spirit regen on it - about 3/second total is enough to allow kiting while regening sufficiently).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

EDIT: I sometimes use Deadly Reach with Keen Eye for specific bosses or when grouped; 50% additional armor is huge. Obviously enchantress is the best companion for soloing as well (15% armor/3% attack speed is a lot)
Edited by Graham#1748 on 5/30/2012 8:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Best bet:

Stop playing. Wait for a patch and for item prices to plummet. Or reroll a new class. You'll save yourself a LOT of time.
Reply Quote
Honestly I think people overstate the need for huge resistances. A lot of people have been going out and stacking as much resist/vitality as they can and largely ignoring damage stats and have been having little success - this is no surprise. In order to efficiently kill champion packs you want to keep your damage as high as possible. As a bonus, dexterity directly translates into dodge, armor and damage for Monks, making it easily the best stat to stack.

I have cleared all of Act 3 now on inferno (both solo and duo) and have to say that just getting more damage helps tremendously and armor helps tremendously. The ordinary white mobs are scarcely a problem (with a few exceptions of hard hitting ranged mobs, although most projectiles are avoidable) and champion packs require some sort of kiting when attempting the content without over-gearing it.

I currently use the following build and here is a screenshot of my stats:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WTXYgk!YcX!acbcYa
http://i.imgur.com/oDP8b.jpg

As an aside, I would suggest getting a lot of dex/armor instead of resistance at first, and then adding resistance later on (I did this, and completed Act 2 and most of Act 3 with less than 200 resistance to everything). The primary reason I suggest this is that Armor and Resistance do exactly the same thing (because armor mitigates all damage), and when buying gear from the AH, items with +armor on them are almost always bucketloads cheaper than items with all resistance.

People will likely question some of my build choices (for example, crippling wave over Fists of Thunder or Deadly Reach) so I'll briefly explain some.

Crippling Wave - This has an INSANE amount of aoe damage output, because Mangle takes the damage to 143% weapon damage, which puts it only 2% weapon damage behind runed Fists of Thunder. However, it has significantly better aoe damage than fists of thunder (which only does area of effect damage every 3rd attack, and even then, only in front of you). I'd encourage more people to try crippling wave as their primary source of damage (If you're trying to progress on a particular fight, for example, butcher, obv. you want FoT because it is higher single target dps because of the faster attack speed).

Mantra of Conviction - This is basically my spirit dump. 48% more damage while spamming it every 3 seconds is an incredible amount and you'll really notice the damage difference combined with the additional damage from the runed Breath of Heaven and Blinding Flash. Against champion packs, most of your damage will come from rotations of serenity/blind/seven-sided strike, before kiting briefly and repeating it. When I play with multiple players, I will sometimes switch to Evasion with the armor rune because everything hits harder (in my opinion, melee gets progressively worse the more people there are in a group)

Breath of Heaven/Serenity/Seven-Sided Strike/Blinding Flash are all pretty self explanatory, they're all defensive abilities which provide amazing offensive utility as well.

The final one people will likely question is Chant of Resonance. This is a great ability for champion pack killing because of the spirit regen it provides, so many times when you're kiting and out of defensive cooldowns you'll run out of spirit and won't be able to safely re-engage without just praying for an initial dodge to get the spirit for serenity/blind. With this passive, you won't need to. I also use a helm with ~1.5 spirit regen/second which I find helps out tremendously. I obviously swap this out if I'm doing a boss that I can't farm with 5 stacks of Neph. Valor. (I will likely get rid of this passive and take either the cooldown reduction one, or the 8% damage one if and when I finally get an awesome weapon that also has spirit regen on it - about 3/second total is enough to allow kiting while regening sufficiently).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

EDIT: I sometimes use Deadly Reach with Keen Eye for specific bosses or when grouped; 50% additional armor is huge. Obviously enchantress is the best companion for soloing as well (15% armor/3% attack speed is a lot)

You have a lot more DEX and as a result a lot more Damage than anyone else i've seen.

If i wanted to attempt your gear build.. i would have to sell all my resist gear to buy high DEX gear.

Also, in general i much rather prefer to soak up damage and take hits then to kit all day long. A monk isnt supposed to kit which i find to be a huge flaw with how the Monk is currently developed by blizzard.

I have heard of Life on Hit with high attack speed working. Anyone here try that?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5152414679?page=1 check out my link its my build which people have been finding to be very successful...let me know what you think
Reply Quote
Just gear up more.

48k hp
750 all res
36% unbuffed dodge
35% block 4700 dmg
20k dps
1350 life on hit/2.1 attackspeed

I can comfortably solo A2, A3 is doable but extremely hard. So really, gear up more and use one with everything, and get yourself massive life on hit.
Reply Quote
Just gear up more.

48k hp
750 all res
36% unbuffed dodge
35% block 4700 dmg
20k dps
1350 life on hit/2.1 attackspeed

I can comfortably solo A2, A3 is doable but extremely hard. So really, gear up more and use one with everything, and get yourself massive life on hit.

How do you get so much Life on Hit? can you Screenshot or tell me what items you have that give you Life on Hit? I can only find rings/ammys that have LoH and they are in the millions.
Reply Quote
You have a lot more DEX and as a result a lot more Damage than anyone else i've seen.

If i wanted to attempt your gear build.. i would have to sell all my resist gear to buy high DEX gear.

Also, in general i much rather prefer to soak up damage and take hits then to kit all day long. A monk isnt supposed to kit which i find to be a huge flaw with how the Monk is currently developed by blizzard.

I have heard of Life on Hit with high attack speed working. Anyone here try that?

Currently I can face-tank virtually every champion pack in Act 2 by virtue of having quite good gear. It's not as though I just magically had a ridiculous amount of damage though. It was a more gradual increase, but I always prioritized dexterity over most other stats. You'll find that doing a lot of damage and tanking are actually paired well together. You can never expect to tank for extended periods of time in content which you find challenging, purely because you don't have the gear to do so.

On the contrary, if we could tank everything face-to-face forever, the class would be far too easy. I farmed Act 1 for a long time before I could do reasonably well in act 2, and then kept farming act 1 before I could do well in act 3 (Act 1 butcher runs were much faster than doing runs up to magda when I was less geared)

Life on hit seems to be the new craze, although to be honest, a lot of the problem currently is that you die in 2-3 hits vs champion packs. No amount of life on hit is going to correct that problem. That is something which is dealt with through a combination of high armor, resistances, high damage, and kiting when necessary. Life on hit seems like it is more useful for trash mobs, where I doubt many people are struggling (having high damage means I kill almost all trash packs in 1-3 hits, and then immediately gain any hp I lost through health globes)

The faster things die, the less time you need to tank for. This is something that a lot of people seem to gloss over when gearing for heavy vitality/resistance builds.
Reply Quote

Currently I can face-tank virtually every champion pack in Act 2 by virtue of having quite good gear. It's not as though I just magically had a ridiculous amount of damage though. It was a more gradual increase, but I always prioritized dexterity over most other stats. You'll find that doing a lot of damage and tanking are actually paired well together. You can never expect to tank for extended periods of time in content which you find challenging, purely because you don't have the gear to do so.

On the contrary, if we could tank everything face-to-face forever, the class would be far too easy. I farmed Act 1 for a long time before I could do reasonably well in act 2, and then kept farming act 1 before I could do well in act 3 (Act 1 butcher runs were much faster than doing runs up to magda when I was less geared)

Life on hit seems to be the new craze, although to be honest, a lot of the problem currently is that you die in 2-3 hits vs champion packs. No amount of life on hit is going to correct that problem. That is something which is dealt with through a combination of high armor, resistances, high damage, and kiting when necessary. Life on hit seems like it is more useful for trash mobs, where I doubt many people are struggling (having high damage means I kill almost all trash packs in 1-3 hits, and then immediately gain any hp I lost through health globes)

The faster things die, the less time you need to tank for. This is something that a lot of people seem to gloss over when gearing for heavy vitality/resistance builds.

Graham, your monk has really good stats and I'd be interested in exchanging ideas and such.

Life on hit works well if you are geared up for resistances. Personally, with 48k hp, 750 res all, 37% dodge, 9k armor and 35% block chance i can tank most elites in A3 as long as it doesn't involve extended periods inside desecration or arcanebeams.

For this, 1350 life on hit is godsend.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]